Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-03-2013

NH

17 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 201 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-02-06, 14:10 PM

I would like to add my experience here as well. My USB flash drives work fine but none of the hard drives work. I have tried Seagate and Western Digital from 500 MB to 1 TB and the drive sputters and clicks but never gets going.

I started looking at the keyboard also but it doesn't come with any ports and is simply a Bluetooth keyboard.

So, to have the full functionality of a computer I need both the keyboard as well as the dock which adds a total of $230 minimum to the cost getting the price upto $900 or higher.

This is simply too much for such a kludgy arrangement. Having the USB port work would take the sting away a bit.

What's worrisome is why Lenovo is quiet on this issue and keeps asking for different models of USB hard drives that don't work.

It's clear from this thread that there are a bunch (almost al) that don't work and for a company that makes billion dollars you can't spend $50-$80 to buy a USB hard drive mentioned here and test it out??

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 202 of 411

TPT2 datasheet advertises "Expansive use of USB accessories"

2013-02-06, 15:53 PM

I just thought to see if Lenovo has changed the language on its promo materials for the TPT2 on the Lenovo shopping portal.  I browsed the TPT2 datasheet which I had not previously seen, and was struck by the assertion of "Expansive" use of USB accessories including USB drives and DVD burners. 

I see two possibilities: 

1.  A lot of us on this forum have "bad product" which Lenovo should own up to and fix since it is selling "good product" that supports USB as expected per the promo materials.

2.  (More likely IMHO) TPT2 design is flawed, and the majority will not support USB devices as expected/advertised, in which case Lenovo still owes us a fix or compensation, and Lenovo really needs to change its promo materials to admit that USB is NOT robustly supported by the TPT2 without a powered dock.

The link to the datasheet, and a shot of the cited text, are below.

Link to datasheet.

http://shop.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/thinkpad/thinkpad-tablet-2/thinkpad-tablet-2-datasheet.pdf

Screenshot of cited text.

http://sdrv.ms/TKle3R

Options

135 Posts

01-19-2013

Austria

132 Signins

1387 Page Views

• Views: 1387
  • Message 203 of 411

2013-02-06, 16:12 PM

[Edit: jchammerpants was quicker than me]

@mkumar12345

It's not the problem that they have no device for testing the shortcoming!

Meanwhile they ARE FULLY AWARE of the problem, but don't intend to admit it, becaus then they might have to face a load of people [Edit: like jchammerpants ;-)] who have already got that darn thing demanding recompensation - I guess!

Furthermore they have a full stock of faulty devices, that they don't intend to flush down the drains, but can't repair. But admitting that this acutally IS a problem would require to do that. So I'd expect them to keep this quiet and just adjust their product description (drop the assertion USB 2.0 compliant) for something like "supports USB 2.0", just like ASUS did with the GPS problem on their Transformer Primes.

Although this seems to be common practice, I find it annoying, since the prices tend to stay the same.

Options

38 Posts

01-03-2013

Lynchburg, VA

88 Signins

781 Page Views

• Views: 781
  • Message 204 of 411

2013-02-06, 16:49 PM

Having been using my TPT2 exclusively for a couple of weeks now (well exclusively for personal away from the office stuff) I have a few impressions regarding the USB issue.  I have a number of thumb drives that have content specific information that I store files on.  In addition, I have a majority of my files backed up "in the cloud".  So, based on this information, I haven't run across too many issues where the USB was a deal breaker.  

However, I do have music, movies, media stored on a Seagate hardrive that I miss being able to utilize with the USB port in it's current state of (un)usefulness.  I agree that the biggest issue is the product that we have isn't the product that we were sold on based on the information.  Now, Lenovo is full aware of this based on comments throughout the previous pages in this post alone.  Are they going to do anything to rectify the issue?  I'm going to go with doubtful.  Is this a bios/driver issue that an update can fix?  None of us know without going through the engineering route.  Hell, I would be happy if they came out and said "We can't fix the issue, return it if you want or here's a free dock for your trouble".  Personally, I can adapt my usage to fit what I have.  

Options

26 Posts

01-06-2013

United States

100 Signins

528 Page Views

• Views: 528
  • Message 205 of 411

2013-02-06, 18:34 PM

Please MS, release an Atom powered Suface with digiziter.

@Lenovo, the worst thing is to ignore customers.

Options

1 Posts

02-07-2013

USA

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 206 of 411

2013-02-07, 1:57 AM

Just received my TPT2, can not drive external USB hard drive. Very disappointed to find this thread now.If it helps, or if anyone is still working on this, I have a Seagate Free Agent Go 500gb. Tablet won't recognize, indicator light on drive only flashes.

This is clearly misrepresented in the literature and reading this thread it is evident that this has been going on for some time with no solution from Lenovo. I may just return the unit.

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 207 of 411

2013-02-07, 9:42 AM

The only real problem that I see from what has been described is that the port is NOT making the USB 2 spec.

From what has been quoted from Lenovo's promotional literature, they have NOT promised that external HDD/ODDs can be powered from the port. To suggest that it should is just an opinion, to expect it means that one had not done their due diligence to manage their own expectations.

Whinging on top of failing to properly check if the port (if it did meet the spec) could even power their motorised devices is over the top.

I see the only legitimate whinge (that is, where Lenovo has actually misrepresented capability) is for the underpowered (<500mA) and apparently flakey port.

I think it is silly to order a device without making sure that it can CAN do what one expects.

Options

135 Posts

01-19-2013

Austria

132 Signins

1387 Page Views

• Views: 1387
  • Message 208 of 411

2013-02-07, 10:53 AM

wrote:
[...]

I think it is silly to order a device without making sure that it can CAN do what one expects.

How do you mean that?

It's a bit difficult to make sure if a device CAN do what one expects, when one can't get hands on it to check.

So you either rely on the truthfulness of the OEM's claims or you have to order one, test it and send it back when you realize that you have been mislead. Still having to fork out for delivery and return on some retailers.

So I contradict, that the shortcoming in fulfill USB 2.0 specs is the only legitimate whinge.

Willfully misleading, factoid promotional claims and lying by omission is somthing customers are legitimately whinging about - even if they have to live with it, because it became common practice and seems accaptable to some.

Just to put up with it is pragmatic or even fatalistic. But I prefere to stay in control, be self-determined and not let them get away with it.

And I'd suggest that everybody louds their voice, too. To make them see - if you bodge you should have to pay!

The world is more than one far east country where autocratic rules ignore individual needs and rights.

Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6225 Signins

23927 Page Views

• Views: 23927
  • Message 209 of 411

2013-02-07, 12:07 PM

From the promo material and the conspicuous absence of the word 'external hard drives' it really seems like they noticed the issue, weren't able to solve it before shipping, and adjusted their product literature accordingly. 

Although I'm beginning to suspect that Patanjali was on the engineering team (just kidding!) I do agree with his statement that they didn't promise that unpowered HDDs would work, so objectively the unit 'works as advertised'. If the port can be shown not to match the USB2 spec, that's another matter.

If this issue is a real dealbreaker for anyone, personally I think you should return the tablet soon, because so far there has been no indication that a fix is forthcoming. Best to send it back before getting stuck with something that doesn't suit your needs.

One tricky situation may be if a user notices the problem after the return period is over. You could make the argument that if virtually all USB2 ports on similar tablets were able to power some external drive, the user could reasonably have expected this to work on the TPT2 as well. I'm not sure if Lenovo would honor a 'late return' in that case, but one would hope so. 

And finally, after more than two weeks since Mark's last post, you'd hope the engineers have had the time to hook up a hard drive and test this. A single phone call to Mark could say 'We know, can't fix it' or 'Shoot, new issue, trying to troubleshoot'. They might not want to do the latter for fear of bad press, but since they're covered by the careful wording in the promo material, you'd hope they would come clean instead of letting the customers wait in vain.

Anyway, to end on a positive note, the TPT2 really looks like a great little device, and with SkyDrive and the huge memory sticks available these days I'm sure it will work great for many even without external HDD support.

PS. remember: forum rules state 'no calls to litigation'. We don't want to get this thread closed or have users banned.   

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 210 of 411

2013-02-07, 12:45 PM

Let's be obvious here.

If the external motorised device makers supply a cable with an extra USB plug, they DON'T expect it to be powered from ONE USB port.

Then why does someone who buys that device then expect ANY computer to be able to power it from ONE port, irrespective of the fact that SOME computers can?

I think too many would rather throw money after a dream, then whinge when that dream turns out to be fantasy, rather than do their due diligence beforehand. The latter is certainly cheaper, but requires some patience.

The other obvious thing is that one should not buy something, especially over the internet, if one cannot get the specs to be able to do one's due diligence. One doesn't have to have a device just because it looks OK in a picture.

And if one is prone to rash buying habits, one shouldn't advertise it by spamming forums!

Enough of my spam for today ;-).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms