Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

01-27-2013

Michigan

28 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 211 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-02-07, 13:00 PM

Low powered atom processor in a thin device--it does not surprise me that usb is not full powered.  I have no usage scenerios away from the desktop that i need a powered one.  By the desktop you can use the TP2 dock or I would assume a powered usb hub.  So for me, it is both not surprising and a non-issue.

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 212 of 411

2013-02-07, 13:51 PM

I also wonder if some of those posting on this thread are on the payroll of Lenovo... and Microsoft with respect to strenuous advocacy for Windows 8...  :smileylol:

Regarding the debate over whether or not Lenovo "promised" such drives would work, companies are liable for more than what they overtly "promise."  Just because Lenovo does NOT have promo materials saying "We PROMISE that USB hard drives and optical drives will work" does not automatically absolve them of responsibility for this problem.

This is more true since the promo materials, while not PROMISING, imply that such devices will work.  The datasheet to which I linked yesteday indicates "Expansive" support of USB accessories, which does not sound to me like Lenovo is trying to scale back expectations ("Limited" would be a better adjective if the intent was to acknowledge USB power limitations).  The datasheet goes on to list support for "External USB drives" which admittedly could be thumb drives, although the choice of phrase is arguably misleading if Lenovo knew that only thumb drives vice HDDs were supported.

Regardless, the datasheet also says that DVD burners are supported.  So far on this forum, no one has posted to confirm that statement to be true with their TPT2.  Mark_Lenovo's message on 1/22 indicated an old CD-ROM (so read only, not a burner) worked for him, but no one has yet indicated that a DVD or even CD burner is working from the power of only the single USB port.

wrote:
...They might not want to do the latter for fear of bad press, but since they're covered by the careful wording in the promo material, you'd hope they would come clean instead of letting the customers wait in vain.

Lenovo knows something is amiss.  I noticed on the Lenovo shopping portal that they have disabled the "Write a review" feature for the TPT2.

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 213 of 411

2013-02-07, 13:57 PM

wrote:

Regardless, the datasheet also says that DVD burners are supported.  So far on this forum, no one has posted to confirm that statement to be true with their TPT2.  Mark_Lenovo's message on 1/22 indicated an old CD-ROM (so read only, not a burner) worked for him, but no one has yet indicated that a DVD or even CD burner is working from the power of only the single USB port.

After I posted this, I realized it might be useful to shine the light the other way on this issue. 

I request that readers of this forum whom are SUCCESSFULLY using an external hard drive (excluding thumb drives) or a CD burner or a DVD burner from only the power of the single USB port be so kind as to indicate that on this thread, as well as to list the model of the device which they are using.

If a lot of people respond in the positive, then it gives us reason to think their might be bad production batches or similar.  If very few people respond in the positive... well, we've discussed that enough already.

Thanks.

JC

Options

135 Posts

01-19-2013

Austria

132 Signins

1387 Page Views

• Views: 1387
  • Message 214 of 411

2013-02-07, 15:04 PM

wrote:

Let's be obvious here.

If the external motorised device makers supply a cable with an extra USB plug, they DON'T expect it to be powered from ONE USB port.

Then why does someone who buys that device then expect ANY computer to be able to power it from ONE port, irrespective of the fact that SOME computers can?

I think too many would rather throw money after a dream, then whinge when that dream turns out to be fantasy, rather than do their due diligence beforehand. The latter is certainly cheaper, but requires some patience.

The other obvious thing is that one should not buy something, especially over the internet, if one cannot get the specs to be able to do one's due diligence. One doesn't have to have a device just because it looks OK in a picture.

And if one is prone to rash buying habits, one shouldn't advertise it by spamming forums!

Enough of my spam for today ;-).

Just a thought.

Have you ever thought that your statement about Y-cables could be an over-/misinterpretation of a common habit?

One fact that your assertion leaves out of the picture: It is common practice to have multiple USB ports share one power source (e. g. bus driven ports, or front USBs are often lower powered than back ones), so they also share the maximum current, allowing for only one 500mA device or several lower powered ones - still obeying the 500mA limit. Having this limitation it is perfectly suitable to limit each seperate port to less than the maximum of 500mA, since the use of Y-cables is common practice.

BUT the TPT2 has only ONE limited USB port.

And could you please explain what you mean with due diligence! As I mentioned before, HOW SHOULD ONE FIND OUT BEFORE when you can't get your hand on it - anywhere?

I dare to say that most people who got that thing did not buy it because it looks nice, but because they expected Lenovo to keep the promise to bring a device that does well in business ecosystems.

Proposing that buying this thing came from rash buying habits is also pretty cheeky!

For my part I was watching the rise of Win8 tablets since 6/2012, have compared specs, first hands-ons and pre-release tests of Samsung, ACER, ASUS, Lenovo, Microsoft, Dell, HP devices and came to the conclusion that the TPT2 was the device for me.

From 10/26/2012 on the TPT2 was expected to appear on shelves, but it did not, so I even had my personal hands on Samsung, ACER and ASUS befor ordering the TPT2 (since it IS NOT AVAILABLE ON SHELVES near me! GOT IT?), but they did lack things the TPT2 was supposed to deliver. So middle 1/2013 I ordered that thing, tested it for a few days and sent it back, because this particular one was worse than any of the other three I had tested.

So don't come with "due diligence"!

And if you propose, that everybody should wait with purchasing new products till they have established their position, how would they ever, if no one bought the first 10.000 pieces?

Ever thought of that????

Options

101 Posts

01-24-2013

Germany

1875 Signins

14894 Page Views

• Views: 14894
  • Message 215 of 411

2013-02-07, 15:27 PM
Has someone tested external hdds or burners using a y cable and putting the second usb to a external power source?
Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6226 Signins

23932 Page Views

• Views: 23932
  • Message 216 of 411

2013-02-07, 16:01 PM

I was also wondering if this could be alleviated with 'axiliary power'. I did a google search for 'battery powered USB hub' but only found home built solutions. They still might work, but not for the common person I'd say.  

I do agree on one thing (!) with Patanjali that devices that come with a Y-cable are likely drawing power beyond USB2 spec, and can therefore not be expected to work on the TPT2. I'm more concerned that single-plug unpowered HDDs don't work, like those nice little Seagate portable backup drives. 

So yes, please, if anyone was able to connect any unpowered external drive other than thumb drives, please report with model number. 

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 217 of 411

2013-02-07, 16:51 PM

@ScruffR

Part of my 'due diligence' was checking out if people had had problems with the device, leading me right here, and hence why I am taking an interest. However, it took a while to push to sort out what was 'real' and what was just plain assumptions.

As I stated above, buying a nice looking device without detailed specs is RISKY, and if one chooses to accept that risk, then expect a higher likelihood of the device being unsuitable. One's own choice is one's own responsibility, but I think several commenters here are NOT accepting responsibility for the assumptions and risks they took in ordering this device.

Given your assertion that some computer ports may be underpowered, it seems even sillier to assume that a device with one port will naturally be able to supply full power. What happened to 'ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY'?

Again, if despite what you know you don't know, you order a device which you cannot get to touch and feel and test beforehand, you have accepted a huge risk of disappointment (due to incorrect assumptions), for which it is disingenuous to then spam a forum crying foul. And that is aside from creating a distorted image of the product which many might have found perfectly suitable for themselves otherwise.

When an enterprise decides to run a proof of concept to see if a device or system is suitable for their purposes, they accept the risk that they may be unsuitable, but also WRITE OFF the expense of the whole exercise. If, as an individual, you choose to do the same, why should you get special treatment and get a refund?

We bought a couple of Samsung 7" Tabs early on purely just to see it we would have a use for them. After six months, my wife bought an iPad 2 and I found that I did not have much use for one, or not for Android at least. My Note and then Note 2 basically covered my portable internet needs.

However, many companies selling sight-unseen devices do offer unconditional refunds, but then it is again ingenuous to whinge about it not meeting your expectations when there was a high risk, which you accepted when ordering it, of that being so.

Of course, these are totally separate issues from actual faulty behaviour, like flakey recognition of USB devices within the power capability of the port.

Also, I think it is perfectly legitimate to push for the actual specs of the device, and if they are not forthcoming, then that is a flag for 'buyer beware' in itself!

Again, I reiterate, I have no connection to Lenovo except that the TPT2 looked like a good fit for my purposes based upon the limited specs, but the difference is that I WILL not buy one unless I can be sure it meets my critical requirements, one of which is that I need to see and feel it, UNLESS there is a general reviewer and user consensus about its characteristics that I get the distinct sense that it will be usable for me. In buying it then, I would be accepting that it may turn out to be not quite suitable, but that is what can happen over time with a device that is perfectly suitable when I first buy it.

Or, given that such devices cost only what it takes me a few hours to earn, I might accept the risk and get one anyway, knowing that it will be usable, but not 'perfect', for long enough for it to have earned its keep.

Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 218 of 411

2013-02-07, 16:58 PM
@joesixgig
There are many rechargeable power packs with USB ports, typically for recharging devices on the go.

However, they are bulky and heavy and require cables, which sort of defeats the advantages of a sleek tablet in the first place.
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 219 of 411

2013-02-07, 9:16 AM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

135 Posts

01-19-2013

Austria

132 Signins

1387 Page Views

• Views: 1387
  • Message 220 of 411

2013-02-07, 20:26 PM

@Patanjali

I get the feeling that you might have misunderstood my motives.

I'm not calling for special treatment - I have already sent the device back (one advantage of ordering online, since this way I have the legal right to send it back, where when picking it up in the store I'd have to hope on goodwill)

As mentioned in previous posts, I did not get this device without detailed specs. The specs definitely claimed 2.5W USB power - as does the manual that came with the device. But my measurements did prove (for me) that this is not the case. No matter if my HDD came with a Y-cable or not. So I did not willfully take a risk to get a device that has possibly underpowerd USB, but I expected the USB to deliver 2.5W permanent, while my HDD or other devices do not demand 100% of that (as tested - and NOT incorrectly assumed).

It was not an isolated assertion that some computers have underpowered ports, but a clarification that single ports may be allowed to be underpowered, WHEN and only WHEN there are other ports able to supply the missing power - otherwise the USB 2.0 specs are not fulfilled properly (as pointed out in a previous post)

If you call these posts spam, what then is a suitable comment? Even if some people don't need full USB 2.0 support, the ones coming to this thread obviously are having issues with it.

On the other hand posters who try to talk their need for it away (without knowing their reasons) - I'd rather call their contributions spam - but I don't.

I am not creating a distorted image of the device, but sum up my personal experiance with one of these devices, having multiple issues (USB, hung system after sleep, random touches - where I am not the only one experiencing them), trying to contribut "hard facts" - as long you'd not call me a liar, when I posted my measurments and measuring setup - and trying to contribute some background info for those who just feel something is not right, but can't put their finger on it.

If you refer to some of my ironic posts, when you call me spammer or distorted-image-creator - then sorry, I'll try to grow up and get more sensible, to fit in with the bleating crowd. I'll repent, revoke everything, please don't send me to hell for my blindness. She's not moving after all! (sorry Galileo!)

BTW: You mentioned that you came to this thread as part of your "due diligence", and you implied that you have not owned a TPT2, yet. Where would you look for, if there were no people like me reporting their problems trying to get to the bottom of it and bundling power to force OEMs to look into it, because we'd all just wait for others to get bitten by a not yet discovered bug?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)