08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 31 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-01-07, 21:22 PM

Lenovo has not responded to this matter. I suggest to make this problem public. Tipping the blogs and websites about this problem earns Lenovo's attention. Imagine what would happen to Lenovo after some blog posts like "TPT2 is not a PC".

Any idea ?

----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 32 of 411

2013-01-07, 22:37 PM

Manuelcalavera,

Please keep in mind that this is a peer to peer support community and Lenovo cannot guarantee a response to every thread.  Additionally, I understand that there is some frustration here, but let's try to keep things on a productive path.

I've read and re-read the discussion so far and I'm not entirely clear on this.

The system should be able to boot from USB, and so if it won't, let's try to go over this again so that we can have enough detail to try to test this out.

1) Let's try this with the preload.   

2) Can you boot to a USB 2.0 thumb drive?   If not, have you tested to make sure the thumbdrive is bootable on another system?

3) If it boots on the thumb drive, let's go back to the powered HDD's you are trying.  Are they USB 2.0 devices?  You have power connected to them, and they are connected directly to the TPT?  And you have tested, and can boot from these same external HDD's on another system And then if you have the dock, are you using that, and does the situation change?

4) If you can not boot to these devices, can you confirm they can be seen / accessed after the TPT otherwise boots up?  I'm trying to confirm whether it is a problem seeing / accessing the device totally, or just a boot recognition issue.

I don't know what the problem is, but let's try to go through this in a constructive way.  

Thanks

Mark

Options

35 Posts

01-08-2013

NZ

145 Signins

658 Page Views

• Views: 658
  • Message 33 of 411

2013-01-08, 0:22 AM
Mark,

You're absolutely right. It's important we try to give you as much information in a clear manner for you guys to be able to do your jobs.

Here is my response to your questions:

1. I am using the preload.

2. I have two thumb drives. I can boot into the smaller sized one (4gb), but not the larger one (32gb).

3. I have one powered drive, and one unpowered drive. They are USB 2.0 devices. I have power connected to the first drive and they are connected directly to the TPT. The second device is unpowered and directly connected to the TPT.

Both devices are tested and can boot from these same HDD's on another system.

I do not have a dock.

4. Both of these devices (powered and unpowered) cannot be seen or accessed after the TPT otherwise boots up. So it is both a seeing/accessing totally as well as boot recognition issue.

Many thanks
V
Options

72 Posts

01-05-2013

East Coast USA

181 Signins

1469 Page Views

• Views: 1469
  • Message 34 of 411

2013-01-08, 0:32 AM

Mark thanks so much for the reply and the attention to this issue.  Can you at least confirm either 1) the ThinkPad tablet 2 USB port is designed to run usb powered peripherals such as hard drives or dvd drives?  Or 2) the USB port was only designed for thumb drives, etc.  Are we dealing with a bug here, if that's the case then many of us can breathe easier knowing Lenovo will fix it.  But if this is engineered to be this way, well we deserve to know that as well, especially in light of Lenovos advertising.

I'm using an Asus dvd player, if I connect it to the usb port only I get flashing lights on the dvd but it won't eject, function or show up in windows.  If I use a Y cable and connect the other end to AC power then the drive will eject, it seems to spool up for several seconds then shut off and will continue this pattern indefinitely, it will never show up in windows.  Verified the dvd player works perfectly on another laptop.

Options

72 Posts

01-05-2013

East Coast USA

181 Signins

1469 Page Views

• Views: 1469
  • Message 35 of 411

2013-01-08, 0:47 AM

Just to add I just tried out an old laptop drive I have in an enclosure, connected thru usb only the tablet recognizes it right away and it seems to function transferring files.  Its an old Toshiba  MK8007GAH hard drive.

Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 36 of 411

2013-01-08, 0:56 AM
All of Lenovos competitors running the Atom processors work with all unpowered usb peripherals. I have tested all of them and that is the problem. Lenovo markets this device as working with burners and hdd's and do not state that it is underpowered. I eventually had to purchase a powered usb hub and then all of my uncovered devices worked fine, but that is ridiculous when they market it differently.
Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 37 of 411

2013-01-08, 1:18 AM

Hi Mark, the issue seems to be that most unpowered usb devices, except for usb thumb drives are not recognized through the usb port on the TP2. I have confirmed that most powered devices work and if a powered usb hub is used and connected to the usb port on the TP2 then all of my unpowered dvd burners and external usb 2.0 and 3.0 hdd's work fine. I don't have the desktop dock, but assume since it is fully powered that it will provide the same results as the powered usb hub. The reason we are all frustrated is that all of your competitors tablets: ASUS 810, Samsung 500t, Envy X2 and Dell Latitude 10 all run unpowered devices from their usb ports without needing extra power sources. They all have the same specs as the TP2 but perform as a full on Windows 8 system. We are purchasing the TP2 to be mobile and are not interested in carrying  the desktop dock or a powered usb hub just to accomplish the same tasks that your competitor devices run right out of the box. Please push this issue up the chain for a resolution as many of us need to make buying decisions for our companies soon and I for one will not roll the TP2 out to our field force until this issue is fixed or addressed. Thanks for your help.

Buy the way. You might want to offer free desktop docks to those of us that are spending countless hours in testing your tablet and supplying this important information. Your engineers are probably paid pretty well and should have caught this problem before the delayed product launch.

Options

31 Posts

01-06-2013

Masschusetts

124 Signins

481 Page Views

• Views: 481
  • Message 38 of 411

2013-01-08, 2:56 AM

If it does not support external HD nor boot from thumb drive, I will return them once receive.

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 39 of 411

2013-01-08, 8:05 AM

wrote:

Manuelcalavera,

Please keep in mind that this is a peer to peer support community and Lenovo cannot guarantee a response to every thread.  Additionally, I understand that there is some frustration here, but let's try to keep things on a productive path.

Mark,

As you can see in my location, I'm living in Tehran, where everything is messed up, socially and politically. We're under huge sanctions ( as a result, the amount of money I'm paying for TPT2, I could buy 3 macbook pros last year with that amount ) and our selfish and useless government makes everything worst. There's no official stores or web based resellers here. So when I buy your product its a hit or miss, meaning if there's any flaw in your device I have to deal with it. I asked my uncle who lives in Canada to postpone his flight so I can order TPT2 after Oct. 26. But it delayed, and I asked him to postpone it again, and TPT2 delayed again. My uncle came from Canada and since then I'm searching for someone who has a flight to Tehran so I can ask him/her to bring me the device. Anything happens to TPT2 or any flaw that was with it in the first place is something I have deal with it till next year.

What I'm trying to say is, there's people around the world who really get into trouble to buy your products. I was stuck with the Pen problems of the first TPT ( my topics are still here ) and I tried to solve the problem with your guys ( bsnf and yourself ) really hard. But after so many promises and updates from Lenovo, my needs did not fulfill.

I'm getting into THIS MUCH of problems, I'm paying like three macbook pros, and anything happens to device  I cannot do anything about it ( no support In here as everyone knows ) for what ? For a device that is not what I had read about it ? For false advertisements ?

I want to apologise if my posts are aggressive. I'm in huge troubles for a long time to get my hands on this thing.

wrote:

Are we dealing with a bug here, if that's the case then many of us can breathe easier knowing Lenovo will fix it.  But if this is engineered to be this way, well we deserve to know that as well, especially in light of Lenovos advertising.

I want Lenovo to answer this question honestly. It's not right to tell us that it will be solved in near future, but they themselves know that it is an engineering flaw.

----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 40 of 411

2013-01-08, 14:04 PM

wrote:

Mark,

As you can see in my location, I'm living in Tehran, where everything is messed up, socially and politically. We're under huge sanctions ( as a result, the amount of money I'm paying for TPT2, I could buy 3 macbook pros last year with that amount ) and our selfish and useless government makes everything worst. There's no official stores or web based resellers here. So when I buy your product its a hit or miss, meaning if there's any flaw in your device I have to deal with it. I asked my uncle who lives in Canada to postpone his flight so I can order TPT2 after Oct. 26. But it delayed, and I asked him to postpone it again, and TPT2 delayed again. My uncle came from Canada and since then I'm searching for someone who has a flight to Tehran so I can ask him/her to bring me the device. Anything happens to TPT2 or any flaw that was with it in the first place is something I have deal with it till next year.

What I'm trying to say is, there's people around the world who really get into trouble to buy your products. I was stuck with the Pen problems of the first TPT ( my topics are still here ) and I tried to solve the problem with your guys ( bsnf and yourself ) really hard. But after so many promises and updates from Lenovo, my needs did not fulfill.

I'm getting into THIS MUCH of problems, I'm paying like three macbook pros, and anything happens to device  I cannot do anything about it ( no support In here as everyone knows ) for what ? For a device that is not what I had read about it ? For false advertisements ?

I want to apologise if my posts are aggressive. I'm in huge troubles for a long time to get my hands on this thing.

most thinkpad has internal warrenty and does not depend where you bought it. If you buy in Canada you can get it serviced in Iran.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete