Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 51 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-01-10, 21:12 PM

wrote:

Well it sounds like at least one person has a USB port that works...

http://blog.lenovo.com/products/8-cool-things-about-the-thinkpad-tablet-2

Everyone in Lenovo thinks that USB port works.

My B.A. is in Industrial Engineering. One of the most important things, which is essential for every manufacturer is Quality Control and Quality Assurance. Even a farmer does Quality Control for his product. What I'm thinking is how can a company produce such a highly advertised device and not test it.

I mean do they have a QC department at all ? What do they check ? What do they control ?

Since I am sure that such a huge company does indeed have a QC department, I think this problem has happened by design and it is on purpose. And what I'm hoping is that this problem can be solved by a tweak/SW update.

----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

35 Posts

01-08-2013

NZ

145 Signins

658 Page Views

• Views: 658
  • Message 52 of 411

2013-01-10, 22:00 PM

Hee hee hee! I found this comment on that blog post hilarious:

Dear Anuj,

What a lovely post.

A pity that it feels much more like a bunch of cobbled together propaganda rather than an actual user experience with the tablet. I find it amusing to see that you effortlessly connect the drive to USB devices such as CD/DVD burners and drives, when not a single Thinkpad Tablet2 owner is able to do so.

I also applaud your use of a 64GB microSD card on a device that is only SDHC compatible. Are you suggesting on behalf of Lenovo that all customers buy and use 64gb cards on a device that, by design, only accepts 32gb cards? I applaud such boldness.

I would like to conclude my comment by suggesting a small, but useful amendment to your post. You quite eloquently write, ""What good is this much power if you can’t share some?". Might I suggest the following instead: "What good is this device if you can't do what most normal people would want to?"

All my blessings and best wishes. I hope you enjoy the Tablet 2 that you own, because it truly is a unique device. Given the horrific challenges everyone else that own one are facing with their Tablet 2s, they can only dream of having such a wonderful experience as yours.

My best regards

Options

72 Posts

01-05-2013

East Coast USA

181 Signins

1469 Page Views

• Views: 1469
  • Message 53 of 411

2013-01-10, 22:37 PM

Wow this is rapidly turning into a PR nightmare for them.

Options

1 Posts

01-10-2013

USA

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 54 of 411

2013-01-10, 23:02 PM

I just purchased a TPT2 as a demo unit and like all of you discovered that it won't power a USB devices except memory sticks.   I actually purchased a new USB DVD and this one flickers blue when it has enough power and red when it doesn't.  When I first plug it in I get blue and the tablet sees the drive.  I put a disk in and as soon as it starts to read the disk it flashes red.  The DVD has a Y cable to use when its not getting enough power so I plugged that into another PC and bingo the DVD showed up on the tablet.  That's good, but like the rest of you that's bad as far as using the USB port on a day to day basis.  Not a good way to start my realtionship with Lenovo.

Options

34 Posts

12-17-2012

Aliso Viejo

113 Signins

500 Page Views

• Views: 500
  • Message 55 of 411

2013-01-10, 23:19 PM
I read in another forum that the power output if the USB is 2.5 watts. The original poster stated the he got the figure from the owners manual.
Options

3 Posts

01-11-2013

nyc

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 56 of 411

2013-01-11, 0:53 AM

Honestly, people will make a federal case out of anything.

I've got a TP2 coming next week, and really don't see what the huge deal is here. So you can't run an external HD or DVD burner off the tablet? Use your laptop (or if, miracously, you don't have a laptop or other computer borrow one from a friend for 10 minutes) copy the file over to a USB thumb drive install the program. Or just borrwow a powered USB hub. And then stop acting as if the sky is falling.

Are the people in this forum so technically unsaavy they don't know how to create an ISO drom a DVD? (This is something any normal person will do right away, just in case the DVD gets corrupted or lost.)  So computer illiterate they haven't figured out how to mount an ISO using the one of many software tools readily available for FREE?

Actually if were Lenovo, I wouldn't even bother to fix the problem. Most of these knuckleheads don't seem to have the wit to successfully pick their nose, much less operate a computer.

Geez. Find something real to complain about.  I'm filing this under the  'First World Problems' meme.

Options

21 Posts

01-03-2013

Australia

71 Signins

433 Page Views

• Views: 433
  • Message 57 of 411

2013-01-11, 1:20 AM

Anthony12 - thanks for your post, this is not the world's biggest problem, sure.

But the issue is this: If I am paying a significant sum for a device and the device is being advertised as being able to support a multitude of usb peripherals (and according to the blog above, charge my phone), at the very least I expect to get what I paid for.

It might not be a big issue for you, but those of us who plan to use the TPT2 often away from a powerpoint, this is important.

Hope this explains our frustration a bit more.

Options

35 Posts

01-08-2013

NZ

145 Signins

658 Page Views

• Views: 658
  • Message 58 of 411

2013-01-11, 1:29 AM
Yes, very well said Anthony12. You're spot on, and we should all stop for a minute and reflect on your wise words.

Let's all pay many hundreds of dollars for a product with hardware that doesn't function as one would normally expect it to, and have full faith and belief in knowing that the rest of the product *will* function the way it was supposed to between now and the end of its lifetime.

This isn't about savy, and it isn't about the sky falling. If you're satisifed with a product that appears to have gone through a very flawed quality assurance process, then that's fine.

I for one am not, and that's why I'm here trying to help Lenovo sort out a problem that they should have done as part of that QA process. It's a process of to-and-fro, and often requires the critical mass of other people posting their own experiences for an efficient solution to be found. So what you interpret as a "federal case" is a process of continous feedback on a forum where such feedback is encouraged.

DVDs make for better archives than ISOs do because they have a much better shelf life than hard drives do. It's not a bad idea to have a spare ISO copy with you because it makes things easier, but "normal people" may just opt to use a DVD.

Besides, who uses DVDs anymore? I keep blu-ray archives of all my installation files, and I for one don't have a 25GB USB stick to put a blu-ray ISO onto. It is completely reasonable and "normal" (to use your rich vocabulary) to imagine having to use a 2.5" unpowered USB drive to store your data.

Regarding your comment about knuckleheads, wit and nose-picking, I'm sure the mods will have something today. I sure have a lovely selection of responses, but will refrain from sharing in the interest of keeping this forum productive.

Options

3 Posts

01-09-2013

USA

16 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 59 of 411

2013-01-11, 1:36 AM
It's always funny when kids post online without any idea who they might actually be talking to... ;-)
Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 60 of 411

2013-01-11, 5:44 AM
Will somebody get that troll out if here?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete