Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 81 of 411

Re: TPT2 has USB port power issue

2013-01-17, 19:34 PM
I wonder if Lenovo's people are kudosing Patanjali's post.

It's like someone buys a car and he's actually happy that the car has not air condition!
----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

23 Posts

01-16-2013

Australia

28 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 82 of 411

2013-01-17, 20:13 PM

@manuelcalavera

Unacceptable for you perhaps.

What I was trying to write was that expectations have to be real. Just because other manufacturers may provide more USB current and some users expect to be able to use anything does not mean that what has been provided is substandard.

Will someone post what Device Manager says the port can supply? Then I can make an INFORMED decision about whether the TPT2 is suitable for MY purposes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or at least cite the make and model of peripherals that work and those that don't.

Then I can decide if that is too restrictive for MY purposes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To checkout what the maximum power per port is supposed to be:

1. Open 'Control Panel'

2. Open 'Device Manager'

3. Expand 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'

4. For each 'Generic USB Hub' or 'USB Root Hub':

_ 4.1. Double-click on it or select 'Properties' from its right-click menu

_ 4.2. Click the 'Power' tab

_ 4.3. Note what is listed against 'Total power available'

_ _ _ - Typically for a desktop port it will be '500mA per port', allowing 2.5W

_ 4.4. Note what is listed for 'Power Required' (actually current) under 'Attached devices'.

Typically a computer has a lot of 'internal' USB hubs, so to find out which one is controlling the external port, plug in a thumbdrive or wireless keyboard/mouse dongle and see where it shows up.

For example:

- Sandisk 4GB thumdrive listed as 'USB Mass Storage Device' with 'Power Required' = 200mA

- Logitech universal dongle lists as 'Logitech Download Assistant' at 98mA.

Now try it with one of those peripherals that don't work, reopen the 'Properties' dialog for that hub again and please report here what the current is.

However, it is not always accurate as my Samsung SE S-084 external DVD writer only shows up as 'USB Mass Storage Device' at 2mA, even while the motor is running (impossible to be only that low a current!).

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 83 of 411

2013-01-17, 20:33 PM
@Patanjali

It is unacceptable for many users, you can read the topic, I guess.

Just answer these two questions :

1- Did Lenovo advertise this device as a full PC or not?
2- Didn't Lenovo mentioned that you can connect ANY USB device to TPT2 or not ?

----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

168 Posts

12-10-2008

United States of America

2302 Signins

13318 Page Views

• Views: 13318
  • Message 84 of 411

2013-01-17, 20:56 PM

Does anybody know if my favorite USB storage device will work with TPT2?

Options

31 Posts

01-06-2013

Masschusetts

124 Signins

481 Page Views

• Views: 481
  • Message 85 of 411

2013-01-17, 21:11 PM

Hello everyone,

Will be this discuss helpful?

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/5498/how-to-get-more-than-100ma-from-a-usb-port

If so, do it by ourselves!

Wish you like

Funk

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 86 of 411

2013-01-17, 21:35 PM

All,

There may be multiple flavors of issues to be worked through in this thread.    I've been working (between other projects) on the the TPT 2 the last couple of days.

For purposes of continuing the discussion, let's try to break this down into different symptoms and concerns:

1) USB storage device not recognized.    I've tried many USB keys 2GB, 4GB, 1GB, 8GB and  16GB keys and they were all recognized.  However, there were some quirks I'm still trying to understand.  For example, the 16GB was not recognized for a while today despite being seen on the X1.  While on a phone call, the tablet went to sleep and when it work back up, it saw the key.  Subsequent plug / unplug showed no problem.

2) Powered, unpowered.   Need to experiment more on this.  Manuelcalavera, I'm not sure where Lenovo would ever say connect "ANY" USB device - it is really impossible to test all.  So let's try to list the devices that do and don't work.   I'm using a Vantec NexStar powered USB SATA drive dock and it works just fine and is recognized.

3) Booting from USB.   There seem to be a couple of things here - getting the system fully shut down.  Swipe and open PC settings, select general, scroll to the bottom and click restart now, then a blue screen with several tiles including turn off PC comes up.  Select option to turn off.

Then restart by pressing power button and volume up together and hold for several secs until the Lenovo logo appears.  It should then bring up the bios screen.  Select the startup tab, then tap the white boot word.  Your attached USB key should be shown as first on the list of devices.  Then tap the F10 / save and exit in the lower right corner.  The system should begin to boot to the key.

It is important the key be prepared properly as there are some considerations due to the UEFI bios.  See limitations as noted by someother guy in this related thread.   There is also a good thread on Windows8 forums which explains how to properly create the FAT 32 bootable USB key.   A formal tip with additional information is being written and will be published to our support site on this - we can update with a link once it is available.  We tested the existing tip on making a backup image onto USB key and found that it properly configures the USB key as bootable. I realize that isn't the objective of everyone, but just covering things we tested on the tablet over the last couple of days.

So, continuing the discussion where do you think the remaining issues are?  Individual device compatibility (recognition) of the device in windows,  making a bootable USB key and getting it to boot, or delving more into powered vs unpowered devices?

Thanks

Mark

Options

3 Posts

01-16-2013

United States

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 87 of 411

2013-01-17, 21:36 PM

The port lists 500mA power available.  

When I plug in a Thumbdrive, it says 200mA required, and it works.  

When I plug in a DVD Burner, the burner light flashes RED instead of BLUE, 1 Port Available and the required power says 0mA, nothing detected.

When I plug in a 2.5" External drive it again just looks at me like I'm stupid, 1 Port Available and 0mA required power.

Options

3 Posts

01-16-2013

United States

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 88 of 411

2013-01-17, 21:44 PM
Thanks for continuing to look into this for us Mark.

Thumb Drives seem to work for most people, that isn't the issue. The problem is external unpowered devices such as DVD drives and 2.5" Hard Drives.

In their marketing, I would say they were a bit misleading when they said External Hard drives and DVD Drives, since most people would assume that means powered OR unpowered devices. Most people only have those 2.5" unpowered hard drives these days anyway.
Options

1 Posts

01-17-2013

South Africa

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 89 of 411

2013-01-17, 22:08 PM

Thanks for looking into the issue Mark, much appreciated.

I don't own the TPT2 (yet), but from what has been posted both here and around the web, I can conclude the following:

- USB flash drives generally work.

Unpowered devices (clarify: with no external power sources) generally seem to power up, but are not recognized/usable in Windows. These include portable DVD/CD drives and external hard drives.

A good place to continue your tests would be trying some of the unpowered devices mentioned in the second point. As mentioned before, the TPT2 should theoretically be able to manage these devices as the USB port seems to output a maximum of 500mA - as a comparison, my netbook reports the same thing, and I have never had issues with external unpowered peripherals.

Eagerly awaiting your further findings!

MrP.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 90 of 411

2013-01-17, 22:56 PM

All,

Ok - thanks for the feedback.   I'll go round up some unpowered devices and focus on that.

One thing I'm seeing is that on my TPT 2, sometimes the USB is properly detected in BIOS and sometimes not in the boot order list, and that once in Win 8 that sometimes no devices can be seen, but after a reboot all that previously worked, do work again.  Have any of you experienced this?

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms