Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 7

Tab M10 pads have run out of memory

2021-02-25, 3:16 AM

I have two Lenovo M10 pads.  Both of them have 32Gig SD cards.  Both of them at this point say that they are out of memory.  When I check the memory in the settings, it shows 15.4G of 16G internal full and the cards only have used around 8G.  I cannot move any more apps to the SD card, I've gone through all the apps and all the remaining ones do not give an option to move them.  I can delete some temporary files and a few apps, and then in a 3 or 4 months this will happen again, so I'm looking for a longer term solution.  I cannot figure out what to do, I feel like I have tried all options.  I believe the SD cards were set up originally as internal memory, not portable.  Should I try changing them to portable to see if the tablet manages the memory correctly then?  I thought internal is recommended, we don't need to move the cards around.  I have a Lenovo phone and I probably have twice as much data on that and it never fills up (SD card on that also).

Any ideas?  I'm open to them!

Options

4085 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

826 Signins

21093 Page Views

• Views: 21093
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Tab M10 pads have run out of memory

2021-02-25, 9:05 AM

Hi michaelgrigsby!

Welcome to community forums

Have you tried setting the SD card as the default storage? If not, you can follow the steps on this link: https://support.lenovo.com/ni/en/solutions/ht101588

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-03-07, 20:06 PM

I don't see an option to set the SD card as default, I believe that is for an older version of android?  It looked like that was for android 4?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Options

4085 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

826 Signins

21093 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-03-10, 15:13 PM

You can see from the link provided that it was modified less than a year ago. Can you send a screenshot or photo of the screen you are seeing? Try changing the SD card to portable storage.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-03-14, 15:13 PM

Sorry, but the post looks to be from back in Android 4.  We have android 9 on these tablets.  I don't see any options to make the SD card default.

Options

4085 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

826 Signins

21093 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-03-15, 14:03 PM

The image might be old but the options are almost the same especially the Method 2 instruction from the link. Choose format as portable however, backup your files before proceeding just to make sure. 

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-03-15, 17:53 PM

Hello,

I considered trying "format as portable" to see what that might do for me.  However, my android lenovo phone actually has an SD card formatted as portable as you suggested and it also does not show an option to "set default storage".  I'm just not finding this.

I did a bunch more research and everything I am finding tells me that there is nothing that can be done about the lack of internal memory except to continue to remove things that are not needed, keep the number of apps low, and constantly remove temporary data.  Most android apps do not give the option to put them on the SD card, so that is one limitation.  I've gone through every app and only handful are allowing that.  It appears the only fix is to get tablets with more internal memory.  When I bought these a little over a year ago I didn't realize that the SD card would not really give us the space we needed because most apps cannot be put on the SD card.  If the problem was music, or videos or pictures then those can definitely be kept on the SD card.  Unfortunately managing the data constantly is a little frustrating, it is just going to fill up again it seems and the cycle will repeat as we have found.

Thank you for the assistance.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms