Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

09-12-2018

Canada

77 Signins

1135 Page Views

• Views: 1135
  • Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad Carbon X1 Tablet Gen 3 issues

2018-09-12, 12:49 PM

My tablet is a solid, if a bit heavy, device with fanastic performance, big storage and lots of RAM, but Lenovo has a substantial number of issues to resolve.  If you are doing some research on the machine and find this note, be prepared to play computer technician with Premier Support for hours.  I really don't have the time for these problems but I need to vent:

• The keyboard touchpad buttons rub the screen and have rubbed the antiglare in a line right off the display (upper middle), the buttons have corresponding wear marks.
  • The Sierra EM7455 LTE modem works on boot and reboot, but not from wake from sleep. 
  • The Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock is unreliable, constant disconnects and sometimes the tablet Thunderbolt utility doesn't even see it.  (However, the same dock work great with my Gigabyte Aorus laptop)
  • Onscreen keyboard keeps going missing in tablet mode and if you like to auto-hide the taskbar, it will be a big problem as it is very finicky to bring up.  This seems to be getting better with graphics drivers.
  • The battery life is worse than I hoped.  Usable, but 2-4 hours is about it.
  • Do not use the pen holder, it does not securely hold the pen.  To be clear, the holder is very secure to the device, but the pen just sits in it with gravity, as tablet I walk off with it, not thinking about this and I have lost my pen several times (usually in my bag), but was able to find it each time.  Since removing it, I haven't lost it once, but it is a nuisance not having a place to put it.
  • Fingerprint scanner is not useful, it rarely recognizes my figureprint.  I have never had such problems with my iPhone or Sony Android phones.  It is basically useless.
  • I had to train Windows Hello "improve" facial recognition about 8 times, but now it works pretty good
  • The Lenovo USB-C portable hub works great, but the cable is too short for a tablet and I don't like the way it hangs off the USB-C port.  It is a bit too bulky, unfortunately hideous and doesn't have a power connection so you will need to use your second USB-C port to charge your device while it is in use. 
  • The lenovo earbuds that came with the device randomly changed the the volume up and to the next song (or page of my book in an ereader app.  There are media controls on the headset, and the darn headset was defective.  A new one was sent out and resolved the problem.

Premier Support only seems to have a phone number, and I really want email support because I don't have time to sit on the phone while they come up with things to try.  They seem committed to helping out though.

Options

5 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad Carbon X1 Tablet Gen 3 issues

2018-09-14, 14:58 PM
It sucks that you're having this issues. But weirdly, I'm not having any of these issues.

I'm not sure if its because my model is the lower tiered i5 or what

But - My battery life is superior to what you're getting. (Granted I'm a Teacher, so I'm probably not doing as much as you might be doing ??)

I've also had no problem with external docks / thunderbolt ports. I'm not using the one from lenovo but some third party from amazon, and have had no disconnects.

The fingerprint reader for me is incredible. It recognizes it everytime, even during the hot weather.

Not trying to say you're wrong, it's just strange how we've had completely different experiences.
Options

7 Posts

01-06-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 3 of 8

2019-01-20, 12:35 PM

I also have a couple of issues.

When removing from the Thunderbolt 3 gen 2 lenovo Dock and redocking after the tablet has gone to sleep, the USB Keyboard and mouse are no longer seen by the tablet.  Works great after a restart.  Very inconvient.

My wifi stops connecting when docking and redocking (maybe after sleep).  It always reconnects if I pull up the wifi window, hit disconnect and reconnect.

any  suggestions would be great.  I have all the latest drivers and firmware as of 1/20/19.  SO unless there is a new driver version of available.  Suggesting that I update drivers/firmware is a waste of time.

Options

5 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 4 of 8

2019-01-20, 21:40 PM

Based on what you said - it sounds like a driver side bug. Something that they would probably have to fix on their end and push out.

Options

14 Posts

01-06-2019

Poland

10 Signins

166 Page Views

• Views: 166
  • Message 5 of 8

2019-01-22, 5:39 AM

If anyone is having specific issues with the film on the screen being worn away by the keyboard or stylus from normal use, please post details on the below link.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/X1-Tablet-3rd-Gen-Screen-scratching/m-p/4338326#M34963

Options

7 Posts

01-06-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 6 of 8

2019-01-22, 10:52 AM

I do see that Intel has a newer version (several revs) available for the Wifi but it wont install on the X1.  There is a message about getting from the manuf.

Options

3 Posts

12-01-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 7 of 8

2019-04-29, 17:37 PM

I too have experienced the LTE connection not available after waking from sleep.  I just reboot and it's back up and working. 

Are you by any chance connected to wifi? I have noticed when using the cellular connection only that it works fine from wakes, but when wifi is connected cellular will be disconnected.    

For the battery issue, I have the i7-8550 and I set the Power Mode to the better battery and I get about 7-9 hours of regular on and off usage throughout the day with Verizon LTE connected

I cannot really verify the thunderbolt issue because I am yet to use it

As for the USB dongle being too short. I have the dell power bank that acts as a USB-A pass-through connection as well. So as my tablet is charging it adds an extra port that has a long enough cord to tuck out the way.  

I highly recommend Dell PW7018LC Notebook Power Bank Plus – USB-C to help out with your battery and USB dongle being to short.  It's 65Whr/20000mAh (at 3.25A). So it's a bit better than the Lenovo Power Bank that is 45.5Whr/14000mAh (at 3.25A)

Options

3 Posts

12-01-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-05-02, 3:55 AM

Update the dell powerbank stopped working.  I think its something in the bios of the Thinkpad so I'll be checking out the Lenovo powerbank and will report back as soon as I recieve it

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms