Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s7arbuck
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,013
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad X1 Tablet (Gen2) Random Screen Blackouts

I am very happy with my current Setup connecting my TainkPad X1 Tablet (Gen2) to a Dell U2715H monitor using the OneLink+ Dock (via Display Port 1.2).

Everything works as expected until at some point the screen starts to go black for a second or two every few minutes.

I have tried so far:

• Updating the Intel HD Graphics driver to 23.20.16.4877
  • Updating the firmware of the OneLink+ dock
  • Installing the OneLink+ drivers
  • Replacing the DisplayPort cable
  • Installing Dell Display Manager
  • Installing Dell Monitor Driver

To work around the issue, I open the Intel Graphics Control Panel and set the refresh rate from 59 to 60 back and forth until the screen stops flickering.

As you can imagine this is very annoying so any help would be very appreciated.

jack860
802.11n
Views: 883
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad X1 Tablet (Gen2) Random Screen Blackouts

This is happening on the tablet screen or the Dell?
s7arbuck
Blue Screen Again
Views: 869
Message 3 of 8

Re: ThinkPad X1 Tablet (Gen2) Random Screen Blackouts

the Dell - the tablet screen stays on
I already tried a new cable, other port on the dock, other port on the monitor even an other monitor...
TecJoe
Punch Card
Views: 237
Message 4 of 8

Betreff: ThinkPad X1 Tablet (Gen2) Random Screen Blackouts

I have exactly the same issue as s7arbuck using a OneLink+ with the X1 Tablet (20FQ0040GE) and a Iiyama B2783 QSU Monitor connected via DP and OneLink+. I read posts on dating up the firmware of the dock to 2.33.000, which I did (update.log says Version: 2.33.000), but the problems stay exactly the same.After some minutes working fine the screen of the Iiyama blacks for some seconds or stays out completely until powering off and on again, or reconnecting the docking cable to the tablet. There seems to be still an issue with the Docking and the Intel Graphics of the Tablet, because my other PC which is directly connected via DVI to the same Monitor works pretty fine all of the time.

So please Lenovo Guys: you might have to look after that Firmware again...

s7arbuck
Blue Screen Again
Views: 231
Message 5 of 8

since opening the thread I head repeated contact to Lenovo support, got a replacement dock and tried my colleges dock.

I had the same issue with all three docks and ultimatly gave up.

Save yourself the trouble and toss the dock it only cripples an otherwise brilliant machine.

TecJoe
Punch Card
Views: 218
Message 6 of 8

Thanks fpr sharing your experience and you might be just right s7arbuck, as that problem haunts me also for quiet a while now. But it seems so odd, that there are Monitors / Configs with which there's no prob at all. My second one, a HP ZR24w never blacks out at all on that very same OneLink-Dock and is also connected via DP.  Come on Lenovo it's just a matter of code....

Highlighted
s7arbuck
Blue Screen Again
Views: 215
Message 7 of 8

I had the problem with all monitores I tried at some point including

• some LG 24" HDMI -> DP
  • some generic 24" HDMI -> DP
  • DELL U2715H DP 2.1
  • Lenovo X1 DP 2.1

If I had to guess I would say the problem is somehow related to the graphics card stress level. I can reproduce the problem almost instantly by using Edge on Windows 10 and opening https://material.io/design/motion/speed.html (havent tried for a while though)

Since our model along with mabay two or three other (consumer) notebooks is the only one that uses OneLink+ instad of regular OneLink I don't think that there is a chance Lenovo will address this issue.

TecJoe
Punch Card
Views: 206
Message 8 of 8

I think your analysis fits well with my experience, as my primary Display is QHD 27 inch and has blackouts, whereas the second screen is a HD 24 inch. When the QHD is gone --> the stress level for the graphics card decreases (more than 50%) --> and that means "no more trouble" for the gc with the remaining display. So it stays stable.

Strange though that all your displays had the same issue (even in a One-Display config?)

And I guess you're right a second time with:

@s7arbuckSince our model along with mabay two or three other (consumer) notebooks is the only one that uses OneLink+ instad of regular OneLink I don't think that there is a chance Lenovo will address this issue.

But the X1 remains a truely fantastic machine, and as I use it at my home desk for private purpose only I might as well configure the small display as primary and live with the second screen come and go as it pleases.

Thanks again for your insights!

Top Kudoed Authors