Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7 (941 Views)

Thinkpad 10 and Thinkpad Dock (PRX18) HDMI Not Working

Hi All,

I have a ThinkPad 10 (Type 20C1, 20C3) and a dock (PRX18/4X10E76521 or as I am actually in the UK it would be 4X10E76536) running Window 10 x64. All is working apart from HDMI on the dock. I am using the HDMI on the dock directly into a HDMI port on the monitor as I have read that HDMI to DVI might not work. 

When I plug the tablet into the dock it flashed and then the keyboard and mouse start working. The external monitor also flickers (as if coming to life) but then comes back with no HDMI signal.

I know the dock, lead and monitor work because I have another three ThinkPad 10s, which all work on this dock with this monitor and HDMI lead. I have also tried this device in another working dock/monitor/hdmi and get the same results so I am certain it is the tablet and nothing else.

My guess would be that I am missing a piece of software or a driver but I have tried virtually everything I can think of and still have no luck. I have also looked at the other three ThinkPad’s and cannot see anything different. Unfortunately we wipe the recovery partition so I cannot put the factory image back on but the other 3 devices just have our standard build on them and work fine.

I have also tried a clean install of W10 with all updates and then downloaded all the drivers form the Lenovo site. I have also tried a build of W10 1511,1607 and Windows 8.1 which do not work. Each time I used the update assistant to make sure I have the latest drivers. The bios is also on the latest and I have checked that the intel driver is the latest.

I have also gone to the dock page and tired installing the drivers for that. For the PRX18 there is only the Audio and Ethernet driver, which I have installed which did not work. I have also tried to install the generic Lenovo ThinkPad usb 3 driver (which is not specifically for this model) which also did not work.

Has anyone get any other suggestions I can try as I am really stuck now. It could of course just be a faulty ThinkPad but I believe it is software related. The only difference I can notice between the devices is that the fault one has the newest Bios on it (1.44  I think) but I believe we tried updating the Bios as the first fix, so it would have been on a lower revision previously, also not working.

All help appreciated.

Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 7 (845 Views)

Re: Thinkpad 10 and Thinkpad Dock (PRX18) HDMI Not Working

Anybody got anything I can try at all. Spend another few hours on it and nothing.

Only thinkg I could think of trying was swapping the HDD from one of the working devices to the fauly one to once and fo all confirm if it is hardware or not.

But its not easy to take the tablets apart and secure boot might have something to say about it.

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7 (680 Views)

Anyone got an update for this. Lenovo able to help at all? 

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 7 (523 Views)

Did you ever get this resolved?

I can only get my dock to charge the Tablet - nothing else works :-(
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 7 (519 Views)

No I have not unfortunatley, still waiting for someone from Lenovo support to come on here and help.

We were lucky that we had one device that was working but the user did not have a dock so we had to swap. Although I doubt it will be long before we do need to get one working.

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 7 (510 Views)

OK thanks anyway and good luck
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7 (335 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am not going to claim that I found a solution, but this may be a work-around, and at least help someone smarter than me to have some thoughts on this problem.

I have the same dock issue here with Thinkpad 10 (1st gen, Wacom EMR) and Tablet Dock w/ fresh installed Windows 10. I also have updated all drivers by Lenovo's system update. (Wifi didn't work at first, but after installing Intel chipset driver, in all of a sudden, I had a multiple alarms w/ new found devices and drivers.)

Still, the dock didn't work at all, except the charger. I have found two types of Giga Ethernet and Sound drivers for the Dock, and only one of them worked for me. (the one that supports both Thinkpad 10 and Helix worked. Not the one for TP 10 only) Then, I jumped on to HDMI cable and my 24" monitor. As it was with aftermath of Intel chipset driver, I heard alarms from the tablet, which looked like the system installing drivers for the external monitor (and the built-in sound bar).

The screen was still blank. For 10 seconds. A sign poped-up. "No signal"

The monitor's LED shows that the screen is on, and all drivers are installed w/o any crash sign on Win10's Device Manager. In the display setting, both screens (tablet and external monitor) are active. 

I prbbly did everything I could. Deleted and reinstalled all the drivers, let alone Win 10 itself. When I undock the tablet and use micro HDMI, it works w/ no hiccup, which proves that 1. the system supports my external monitor, 2. my cables are working, 3. the monitor has no prob.

Once I dock it, the external monitor goes blank. (I guess it's because the system gives all the graphics related resources to the dock.)

Since all drivers are active, I hypothesized if the power is not enough. I changed the power from built-in 65w to 90w in vain.

If the dock doesn't handle over 65w, what if I turn off any of the functions on the dock? I disabled Giga Eithernet on the Win 10's device manager.

The external monitor, surprisingly, became active.

But only for less than 1 minute.

I tried to restore the screen by disabling dock's audio and usb drivers, but none of them worked. Restarted Win 10 and turned on all dock drivers. Re-disabled the Giga Eithernet, again, the screen got turned on, although it again took less than a min to go blank.

So far, I have only a handful number of short-lived success cases out of dozens of trials.

I presume either the Eithernet driver crashes with the dock's HDMI functionality, or it really is all about power failure inside the dock. I am an enthusiast for TP's trackpoint but no expert on this sort of electric engineering. I here have tried to give all potentailly related issues possible. Please, if any body knows anything, let all of us know. I am afraid I have to ditch the dock (and Thinkpad 10 itself) only because of the dock's malfunctioning HDMI port. I wish I don't have to.

Top kudoed Authors