Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Tsu
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 9 (2,162 Views)

Thinkpad 8 tablet windows 10 update issues

My thinkpad 8 is running a Windows 10 Home Insider preview, Build 16257.rs3_release.170728-1700. It had updated to the latest version, but after that, the touchscreen stopped responding. It only worked with the tablet plugged in. So I uninstalled the last update. However, my tablet hasn't been working since. I can log in, but it doesn't run any programs. When I try to open one, it recognizes my finger, but nothing happens. Sometimes, after more than 10 minutes, the program starts running. I can't even turn it off without pressing the reset button. The keyboard doesn't open either, so when I'm lucky enough to access the Control panel, I can't type anything.

Anybody had a similar issue?

Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 9 (2,065 Views)

Re: Thinkpad 8 tablet windows 10 update issues

I had the same problem with the touch screen (only working when power/charching was attached) - a reset also caused symptoms like the one you describe. After a number of different efforts, i finally let the Thinkpad 8 be attached to the net - and after a few days I found that it had updated to build 16281 - but the problem with the touchscreen is the same.

I can (without power attached) only handle the Thinkpad 8 by the bluetooth (wedge) mouse and the bluetooth (wedge) keyboard. Inconvenient, but I hope future updates fix the problem (?) - want to avoid a reset to earlier versions if possible.

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 9 (1,845 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem, touch screen only works when the table is externally powered. Even today's Insider Preview update is not helping. Weird is that sometimes it works for a while on battery power. I am on 32-bit EFI bios v1. 71

Anybody with ideas to solve it? 

EDIT: I made a full backup of the Windows 10 drive with Macrium Reflect and restored a 2 years old Windows 8.1 system image. Touch screen works fine with Win 8.1. In a couple of weeks I will restore the Win 10 image again and check whether the touch screen problem is solved  after updating

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 9 (1,291 Views)

Yeap! 

Experimental super method!

1. Install latest ACPI drivers from lenovo: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1mku58w.exe

Then reboot

1. After that, go to device manager and delete all Hid devices, all devices in bookmark battery, Monitor device, intel ACPI device, then reboot.

Probably, you need to connect your device with distance connection (team viewer) coz when you delete HID device you will lose controls. Or you will probably be able to connect mouse. 

After reboot device works slowly, so you need to update driver for monitor device.

After this everything works. 

I'm not sure which driver exactly causes the problem. Problem seems to be in ACPI.

P.S. If your device blows up - it's no me! Smiley Very Happy

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 9 (793 Views)

UPDATE!!!

After reboot device installed Old ACPI drivers and problems come back.

This is ACPI drivers (battery) for 100%. Now you have 2 opportunities to solve this problem:

Firs one: Go to device manager in bookmarks “battery” and delete Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method battery. Then you can use your device without charger. After sometimes windows probably will install device back and you will need to repeat the whole process. After system reboot device always will be installed from windows.

Didn’t test, but probably you just need to try disable this device in device manager and use your tablet. If someone tested this please comment.

Second one: Rollback ещ previous version win 10 and stop windows update and wait for new ACPI drivers.

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 9 (300 Views)

[ Edited ]

As a temporary workaround, just put a magnet close to the usb port (it simulates a lid being closed). When you remove it, touchscreen will work, even when not plugged. I have a cover with that magnet in place and that did the trick for me.

And there is also this other thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Thinkpad-8-Touchscreen-not-working-after-Windows-10-Fall/td-...

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 9 (223 Views)

Inserting a (short) Micro USB 3.0 cable will also enable the touch screen - a little clumsier but easy
Fanfold Paper
Message 8 of 9 (164 Views)

As pointed out by rafaelromao above, use of the Thinkpad Quickshot cover will allow the use of the touchscreen on battery power alone.
SCSI Port
Message 9 of 9 (146 Views)

I installed Version 1709 (Build 16299.19) today. I was shocked, that the touchscreen did not work after the update. But thanks to the published work-arounds in this threat, especially the three post above my post, the touchscreen is working again.

Unfortunately  I have to close the lid before being able to log-in.

I really hope a bug-fix will be published soon.

Top kudoed Authors