Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

07-06-2011

Russia, Moscow

61 Signins

318 Page Views

• Views: 318
  • Message 91 of 104

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - First impressions

2013-01-25, 20:02 PM

Overall this is a good tablet, but there are some issues.

1. First, it's a bad digitizer precision that cannot be corrected with Windows Pen Calibration. Pen support and a builtin holster for a pen were the only reasons I bought TPT2, but pen works much worse than pen in my first-gen Samsung Note. Btw, pen from N7000 seems to work better than Lenovo pen.

2. Buggy BT and WiFi drivers. I use BT tethering and BT is lost sometimes, reinstalling driver does not help, need to restart. WiFi sometimes stop working and requres switching airplan mode on and off. Sometimes it does not help and also requires restart.

3. Charging connector is at the corner; one has to turn the device up side down to hold it while charging, i.e. with Windows logo button at the top :)

All above was unexpected from Thinkpad branded device. Also I want to repeat others that very narrow 16:9 display - about iPad Mini size - is not very convinient. 2:3 ratio would be a very good compromise.

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 92 of 104

2013-01-27, 8:06 AM
Is everyone's pen tip kinds loose ?
----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 93 of 104

2013-01-27, 9:16 AM

It certainly moves a little more side to side than the tip on my Wacom pen. But I don't (yet) find it a problem.

One thing that is a little disappointing is that the pen came without spare tips and the tip removal tool that usually ships with OEM Wacom pens.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Message 94 of 104

2013-01-27, 10:40 AM
The most disappointing thing is the calibration. You cannot calibrate it at all.
Options

23 Posts

07-06-2011

Russia, Moscow

61 Signins

318 Page Views

• Message 95 of 104

2013-01-27, 12:07 PM

I don't have low signal issue with my WiFi, but WiFi and BT malfunction rather often and are restored only after power off/on cycle. From my experience with PCs typically such behavior is fixed by driver update. I also hope that newer router may help; I think Broadcom engineers mostly use new WiFi routers for testing.

This Atmel touch and pen panel is the biggest disappointment in TPT2. Windows 8 built-in calibration tool seems to be designed for old resisitve technology, i.e. uses linear approximation. Unfortunately, this is not the case in the Atmel panel, so calibration helps minimally. Also it works terrible near the edge and in corners.

I did not buy TPT2 by at Lenovo. I bought TPT2 at Amazon (from Laptop Authority seller), and it came with Serial Number "1" in the BIOS, so ThinkVantage System Update does not work ("no applicable packages"). Maybe it's a preproduction unit and as such includes faulty digitizer.

Can anybody with faulty digitizer check if they can run Lenvo System Update ok? Please.

Options

18 Posts

01-27-2013

Michigan

28 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 96 of 104

2013-01-27, 14:18 PM

Laptop Authority--at lease if you had bought directly from them--don't know if they treat their amazon store any differently will be really responsive if you think it is faulty.

Options

23 Posts

07-06-2011

Russia, Moscow

61 Signins

318 Page Views

• Message 97 of 104

2013-01-27, 20:43 PM

I have nothing bad to say about Laptop Authority. But I am not in US now; just invalid identification data in TPT2 BIOS does not justify efforts to return it back. But digitizer does.

Fortunately, after spending about 5 hours I was able to get decent calibration from TPT2. First, I read up on the Web that there is a secret mode in Windows 8 tool "tabcal.exe" enabled with "LinCal" parameter. My numerous experiments showed that it does not seem to affect TPT2 anyhow. Still, I spent an hour to have 40x40px LinearityData grid calibration all over the digitizer surface just in case it helps anyways. For that I used "tabcal LinCal XInterval=40 YInterval=40" command line. (Just in case someone wants to repeat that, the very first touch should be done with a pen, after that palm rejection starts working, if not, you start calibrating finger touch, and may lose touch and will have to use System Restore to get it back. Screen orientation is normal; stylus should be at right angle to the surface because parallax correction happens at a later stage).

Then, I used 16-pt normal calibration with stylus at almost right angle to the surface. And then I performed 4-pt calibration for each screen orientation holding stylus at normal comfortable angle - to correct parallax. And after that I have repeated 4-pt calibration for my favorite orientations many times, deliberately introducing offsets to compensate for calibration errors.

Now, I also need to deal with buggy Broadcom drivers which seem to break randomly without any problems logged in Windows 8 Event Log. This small PC behaves in a more PCeish way than my bigger machines. Hangs, crashes, different glitches - it's a real Windows PC.

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Message 98 of 104

2013-01-28, 4:38 AM

wrote:

Fortunately, after spending about 5 hours I was able to get decent calibration from TPT2. First, I read up on the Web that there is a secret mode in Windows 8 tool "tabcal.exe" enabled with "LinCal" parameter. My numerous experiments showed that it does not seem to affect TPT2 anyhow. Still, I spent an hour to have 40x40px LinearityData grid calibration all over the digitizer surface just in case it helps anyways. For that I used "tabcal LinCal XInterval=40 YInterval=40" command line. (Just in case someone wants to repeat that, the very first touch should be done with a pen, after that palm rejection starts working, if not, you start calibrating finger touch, and may lose touch and will have to use System Restore to get it back. Screen orientation is normal; stylus should be at right angle to the surface because parallax correction happens at a later stage).

Then, I used 16-pt normal calibration with stylus at almost right angle to the surface. And then I performed 4-pt calibration for each screen orientation holding stylus at normal comfortable angle - to correct parallax. And after that I have repeated 4-pt calibration for my favorite orientations many times, deliberately introducing offsets to compensate for calibration errors.

Please contribute in this topic :

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/How-to-use-this-trick-on-TPT2/td-p/1004521

Do you think that tabcal method changed anything ? Because as I mentioned in the other thread, It's a calibration free-run. It does not do anything.

Options

38 Posts

01-11-2013

Saudi Arabia

41 Signins

288 Page Views

• Views: 288
  • Message 99 of 104

2013-01-28, 10:42 AM

Mine came through Amazon too but from EXCaliber seller. My device came with no hole for the Pen. I had to remove the plastic to fit the pen. A second problem appeared now (Which is a big one) an error appear during the reboot with 0188 and 2201 error code, which means according to Lenovo that the mother board need replacement. Add to that I have to force reboot every time (fixed for the time beeing). Quality of the device looks cheap. Lenovo System Update don't work for me. Packaging dosen't looks like the one which Lenovo official channel introduce in Youtube.

Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Views: 38544
  • Message 100 of 104

2013-01-28, 16:10 PM
You bought the model that doesn't use the pen. That's why the hole was closed.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms