Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

12-17-2012

Aliso Viejo

113 Signins

500 Page Views

• Views: 500
  • Message 51 of 104

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - First impressions

2013-01-09, 14:11 PM
fredob, You have to buy the tablet with the pen and digitizer option. You cannot add this option later by buying a pen later. A digitizer screen is added to the touch screen to interact with the Wacom pen
Options

16 Posts

02-18-2010

Sweden

52 Signins

326 Page Views

• Views: 326
  • Message 52 of 104

2013-01-09, 16:48 PM
Great, good answer
Options

5 Posts

09-28-2012

Canada

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 53 of 104

2013-01-12, 22:54 PM

Hi Everyone, 

Was hoping to get your help to figure out if this tablet is right for me. I'm not a tech guy so your input it much appreciated. I have been looking forward to this coming out but wanted to wait till reviews to see how good it is since it the first verion had so many issues. 

I'm a medical resident and I basically need a tablet for studying, taking notes, highlight pdfs + watching movies. My current laptop is the Carbon X1 with windows 7. I'm planning on upgrading windows 8 in a couple of months when all the drivers are updated. I want to be able to sync everything from my laptop to the tablet. I am currently using google drive for a lot of files but I have some documents purely on my laptop as well. I'm not sure but I presume I can sync (via bluetooth I presume) both devices that have windows 8 if I want. Most of the documents I study from are pdf's and I highlight and add things to them via nitropdf pro 8. I presume i'll be able to highlight with the digitizer pen and make annotations using that which is a big reason I want this device.

I also really like having the trackpad with the attached keyboard, which is a major reason I am leaning toward this vs the surface (+battery time is way better on the TPT2). 

Based on this, based on my reading, the TPT2 should be able to do this, but I wanted to get input before I went ahead and invested in this. 

Your input is much appreciated!

-R

Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 54 of 104

2013-01-12, 23:54 PM
You can do most of what you want with the TP2. First off, battery life is more like 5-7.5 hrs and the WEI is 2.9 compared to 3.2 on the competing Atom W8 hybrid tablets. I have tested them all and can confirm that the TP2 runs slightly slower for Office apps, PDF's and web browsing. The TP2 will play movies but depends on the source for quality. The 10" display is pretty small, especially for annotating PDF's. I find the 11.6 inch displays are better for this. The other major issue you might consider is that the TP2 will only read thumb drives through the USB port. You can't use external hard drives or dvd burners unless you purchase an extra powered usb hub or the $99 desktop dock for it. The display is average compared to the competition. I find myself needing to set to full brightness when inking or annotating when I am in college classrooms due to the lighting. This really limits the battery life. Very slow charging through the micro usb charging port and poor speakers. The digitizer is Wacom, so it is quiet and smooth and compares to most of the competition. You will probably want to purchase a bigger stylus that has the eraser capability since you will be annotating and taking notes. The included stylus is cheap and about the size of a large toothpick. Several users are having WiFi issues, which I have experienced sporadically. It is not the best tablet out right now unless you want the 10" form factor. Since you have a decent laptop this might be a good fit for you. Just don't expect a speed demon. If you need more battery life you might want to look at the Dell Latitude 10. It is the same price, same size, brighter display, more durable and has a replaceable battery, but less accessories. If you don't need a 10" device, I would recommend the ASUS 810, 19 hours of battery with the keyboard dock. 10 without. Brightest display available and made out of aluminum, so durable. Best inking experience out of all the tablets I tested and has NFC. I just finished school and have used Windows tablets for over 10 years. If you will need to use PhotoShop or SPSS you might want to look at an i5 tablet like the Samsung ATIV 700t, Lenovo Helix or Microsoft Surface Pro.
Options

21 Posts

01-03-2013

Australia

71 Signins

433 Page Views

• Views: 433
  • Message 55 of 104

2013-01-13, 2:41 AM

wrote:
You can do most of what you want with the TP2. First off, battery life is more like 5-7.5 hrs and the WEI is 2.9 compared to 3.2 on the competing Atom W8 hybrid tablets. I have tested them all and can confirm that the TP2 runs slightly slower for Office apps, PDF's and web browsing. The TP2 will play movies but depends on the source for quality. The 10" display is pretty small, especially for annotating PDF's. I find the 11.6 inch displays are better for this. The other major issue you might consider is that the TP2 will only read thumb drives through the USB port. You can't use external hard drives or dvd burners unless you purchase an extra powered usb hub or the $99 desktop dock for it. The display is average compared to the competition. I find myself needing to set to full brightness when inking or annotating when I am in college classrooms due to the lighting. This really limits the battery life. Very slow charging through the micro usb charging port and poor speakers. The digitizer is Wacom, so it is quiet and smooth and compares to most of the competition. You will probably want to purchase a bigger stylus that has the eraser capability since you will be annotating and taking notes. The included stylus is cheap and about the size of a large toothpick. Several users are having WiFi issues, which I have experienced sporadically. It is not the best tablet out right now unless you want the 10" form factor. Since you have a decent laptop this might be a good fit for you. Just don't expect a speed demon. If you need more battery life you might want to look at the Dell Latitude 10. It is the same price, same size, brighter display, more durable and has a replaceable battery, but less accessories. If you don't need a 10" device, I would recommend the ASUS 810, 19 hours of battery with the keyboard dock. 10 without. Brightest display available and made out of aluminum, so durable. Best inking experience out of all the tablets I tested and has NFC. I just finished school and have used Windows tablets for over 10 years. If you will need to use PhotoShop or SPSS you might want to look at an i5 tablet like the Samsung ATIV 700t, Lenovo Helix or Microsoft Surface Pro.

Many thanks, good to hear from someone who has rested a wide range of these devices - im intending to use my tablet as a companion device - media consumption, brief note taking and light Office. I will be taking it with me everyday to work and on public transport. The general concensus in other forums seems to be that 11.6" is a bit too big for such use. Would you agree?

Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 56 of 104

2013-01-13, 4:33 AM

this is extensively discussed in tabletpcreview.com.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/

ASUS tablet is also extensively discussed.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/

disclaim. I don't work for the above website, not ASUS nor lenovo.

Options

164 Posts

07-06-2009

Germany

584 Signins

2076 Page Views

• Views: 2076
  • Message 57 of 104

2013-01-13, 8:27 AM

catchtony wrote

Many thanks, good to hear from someone who has rested a wide range of these devices - im intending to use my tablet as a companion device - media consumption, brief note taking and light Office. I will be taking it with me everyday to work and on public transport. The general concensus in other forums seems to be that 11.6" is a bit too big for such use. Would you agree?

I bought an ATIV Smart PC (11.6") because Lenovo took way too long to ship units in Germany, and I'd agree with this sentiment - 11.6" is way too big for a regular tablet. For note-taking, however, it's great - OneNote on half the screen in landscape mode is perfect and leaves the other half for a browser/PDF/reference, and in portrait mode (although the **bleep** thing's way too long) the screen is just barely wide enough (I'm coming from a wider Thinkpad X41T) for note taking.

I decided to stick with 11.6" when I realized that going down to 10", while better to hold, would severely limit the space I have for inking...

Options

5 Posts

09-28-2012

Canada

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 58 of 104

2013-01-13, 22:06 PM

Thanks for the Input about my question, thats great feedback! 

In terms of portability - I lenovo is really light and I think 10" is a lot more easy to take the samsung or ASUS or the helix for that matter. 

Has anyone used the lenovo keyboard with this? any thoughts about that?

Options

391 Posts

08-25-2011

Iran, Tehran

3812 Signins

8808 Page Views

• Views: 8808
  • Message 59 of 104

2013-01-18, 14:21 PM
I am not pleased with the battery life at all. This is my first impression.
----------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad Tablet 2 - 367927U
ThinkPad Tablet - 183822U
Options

93 Posts

10-10-2011

USA

1684 Signins

6958 Page Views

• Views: 6958
  • Message 60 of 104

2013-01-18, 15:47 PM

What kind of battery life are you getting?  I tested the TPT2 extensively.  I was getting roughly 8 hours of wifi browsing and about 11 with WiFi off, reading books.  This is with brightness around 50% (200 nits).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms