Chicago

40 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 81 of 104

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 - First impressions

2013-01-24, 17:08 PM

Should have added to my earlier post:

6) Has a pen silo (or at the very least a way to attach the pen to the tablet à la Surface Pro.

While I'm all for getting a larger, more comfortable pen to use as well, I don't want to be stuck without the stylus handy.

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 82 of 104

2013-01-24, 19:34 PM

I had problems with a defective dock which soured me initially, but now am warming to my TPT2.  That is partially conditional to getting the dock replaced and verifying that my TPT2 will do dual/extended monitors via HDMI, because so far I've had no luck.  I'm chalking it up to the dock issue, as I don't have a mini-HDMI to full  HDMI to try without the dock.

Speaking of warming:  My TPT2 gets very warm, very quickly, between the camera and ThinkPad logo on the case.  I'm assuming that is standard?

I do have some gripes with Windows 8 (not Lenovo's fault).  I have already done away with Metro or Modern UI or whatever the name is this week.  I like the icon-driven experience on my Samsung GNote, and on my phones.  But for me, the Windows 8 version of it is just too visually distressing!  I don't like having those blocks of similar color and size for every program/app.  Its not as useful/visually intuitive as having a unique picture icon for each program so you recognize it without reading the label. 

And I don't like that every program/app has to have a block, even if I don't use it often.  So I installed a program (VIStart) to minimize the interface and restore a Windows 7 type start menu, and am much happier using it like a traditional Windows PC.  But that's just me.

Finally, before I did away with the Metro/Modern UI, it really tweaked me that I would be required to sign-in to Skype from the W8 app using a Microsoft Live account instead of my Skype account.  I don't want to sign up for a MicroSoft Live account just to use a service that I've already been using for years!

Anyways, overall I'm liking my TPT2 so far.

JC

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 83 of 104

2013-01-24, 19:53 PM

Unlike jchammerpants, I do not have gripes with Windows 8, either on my Thinkpad 2 or on my desktop PCs. I have no wish whatsoever to revert to Windows 7, or to install Start Menu programs on my systems.

So far, apart from an issue with the Lenovo Mobile Access App, I am very pleased indeed with my TPT2.

Finally, having had a Windows Live account since 1999, I had no wish to get a Skype account, so now that I can simply carry on using my Windows Live account, and my email account (not Hotmail) that I've had since 1992, with Skype and Windows 8, I'm very content.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

93 Posts

10-10-2011

USA

1684 Signins

6958 Page Views

• Views: 6958
  • Message 84 of 104

2013-01-24, 21:16 PM
There is a bios setting that limits cpu performance by 20% and as a result keeps the device cooler.
Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Views: 38544
  • Message 85 of 104

2013-01-24, 22:46 PM

wrote:

wrote:
Mine arrived today and I've spent the last few hours updating, transferring, and configuring. Initial impressions were good, then things started freezing, crashing, needing reboots, and my keyboard is acting oddly. Hope after a bit it gets its sea-legs.
~

Wonders never cease around here...Did you actually buy it or was it a replacement for your TPT1 that they couldn't fix? If you bought it then why?...Why?...Why?:smileyhappy:

Replacement for original TPT, and honestly, very sadly, the TPT2 isn't landing the winning punch I had hoped for.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Views: 38544
  • Message 86 of 104

2013-01-24, 22:48 PM

wrote:

Should have added to my earlier post:

6) Has a pen silo (or at the very least a way to attach the pen to the tablet à la Surface Pro.

While I'm all for getting a larger, more comfortable pen to use as well, I don't want to be stuck without the stylus handy.

I love that I can use my GNote 10.1's stylus on my TPT2.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Options

2 Posts

01-24-2013

United States

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 87 of 104

2013-01-24, 23:40 PM

Just got mine yesterday.

The screen is great.  I don't mind the 16:9 and it's bright and clear.

The screen is bad.  If you press almost anywhere on the glass (not very hard) ripples will appear elsewhere on the screen, mostly near the middle a few inches beneath the front facing webcam. The first time I turned it on my fiance was there and we both gasped when we saw the ripples the first time I touched the screen.  It's bad.

Worse, the screen will register touches and gestures while no one is touching it. Just sitting there on the table there are certain locations that will continously resigster touches, sometimes right clicks, completely crippling your ability to do anything.  Reboot only temporarily fixes it.  Sometimes wheny you touch a location two touch points light up on either side of your finger, and never registered where you wanted to touch.  Touch a different location and the touch registers correctly.  Go back to the old location and it still misfires, showing two opposite touch locations of your finger.  This gets frustrating when that location is the X to close out a window or hide a menu.

The stylus is great.  It fits in the silo snuggly, was recognized immediately and works.  The calibration is pretty bad however.  I have to delibrately miss the calibration points in order to get the cursor directly under the stylus after calibration.

The body seems fine, no creaking, although the power button is very smooth and shallow - it's not a good experience turning it on and off via that button.  The windows button is nice and solid though.

The clear hole in the bezel for the front facing camera is centered on the tablet, but the camera itself is not centered in the hole, so you can actually see one edge of the camera and essentially into the tablet.  It's very annoying because it's always front and center when you're working.  The camera does work though. 

Software wise, I freeze up once ever 20 minutes working in Onenote 2013 preview or Onenote App from the Windows 8 app store.  Sometimes it snaps out of it after 10-15 seconds and sometimes I have to put it to sleep (which doesn't always happen when I tell it to).   

I have no concern with the atom processor, it lifts more weight than it has any right to, pretty happy with the processing power - it's just everything else.

Options

25 Posts

01-16-2013

Petaluma

87 Signins

935 Page Views

• Views: 935
  • Message 88 of 104

2013-01-25, 0:44 AM

@Dnalx it looks like you got a defective device.  I have not noticed any issues with ripples, ghost gestures, or anything like that.  It does get warm where you described it for me as well.  I think this is normal, definately since it doesnt have any fan or anything there.

also, the camera is centered in the bezel on my device.  I would suggest returning it for a replacement.

Options

27 Posts

01-24-2013

Atlanta

38 Signins

347 Page Views

• Views: 347
  • Message 89 of 104

2013-01-25, 5:05 AM

This has been one major disappointment for me over all. First with the whole shipping pinball, it going from one day, to the next to the next. I lost it when the shipping date started going back in time. I finally called and got the thing rolling. 

It came in today, I'm sick and took a day off work to make sure I get it from UPS but to set it up and use it for work. I've heard nothing but great things over the years with Lenovo. I was excited to own one, especially as an artist. They were one of the first to do a stylus. I'm expecting to do the majority of my art off of it. I get it, the pressure sensitivity isn't working at all. I've tried restarting drivers, reformatting it to factory. I've called up three times today, they told me the problem is it's a bad pen. That pen is one of the cheapest stylus I have ever seen. I mean the Samsung phone has a better one. I was expecting nothing but great things, especially since in the specs they show the pressure sensitivity is equal to wacom 12. 

I'm hoping to send this back and they fix the drivers or some part to get that pressure sensitivity back. However, I don't know. I guess send it back and get a Samsung? Or save up for X series tablet. We'll see. 

Options

27 Posts

01-24-2013

Atlanta

38 Signins

347 Page Views

• Views: 347
  • Message 90 of 104

2013-01-25, 6:12 AM

It figures. I given up on the thing, it started to act up so I restarted it. Long story short... I got the pressure sensitivity. I don't know exactly what happens but after fighting it all day. It decides to do it... oh well. Looking up right now! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms