US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 21 of 36

Re: [Thinkpad Tablet 2] WI-FI Intermittency

2014-07-31, 22:54 PM

Hi Mark,

Yeah, if it keeps the wife happy then yes I fly in for an onsite. Ha, ha.

Actually she was preparing a big family event for her mother and I had work so I flew in once I could clear a couple days.

Here is some feedback, I did get the TPT2 to recognize the wifi radio when I was there, for a day after I left.

Then she got home so I started with reinstalling the latest driver for the Broadcomm radio from the Lenovo sight.

Again it came up and after a couple of days I got the symbol for no network available.

So we do it again only this time I update her nortons internet security protection, install spybot search and destroy, and scan with both. While that was going on I go into the Control panel, uninstall programs and uninstall all programs that are not requisite to system function.. I switch over to device manager, and uninstall the drivers for the the Broadcomm radio, then reinstall the driver I have saved on a flash drive. A couple hours later everything comes up as good.

Again everything is good for a couple days  and again the radio crashes as in no network available (not weak wifi signal).

OKay time for bigger measures, I go into the settings and restore the system saving the files only because I am not positive my wife does not have a file stashed somewhere in the documents that I can't find but will create hell if I delete.

Now once back to windows 8, I reinstall all 113 updates prior to being permitted to update to 8.1, then I loose the wifi again as the driver is an ealier version. Reinstall Broadcom .113, Now once the radio is up, I find that the stylus does not work on the top 3rd of the display, but works on the bottom 2/3rds OK strange, go the support page look for the latest Wacom driver from Lenovo, I notice that I need to update the intel support driver first so that is done, and then the wacom drive ris installed. Bingo the device is working like new. Reinstall Nortons, Spybot, and Adaware and prepare a new rounds of scans to make sure that everything is eradicated.

This worked for a week and then the dreaded no NETWORK symbol comes up again.

I truly figured I quit! at this point. That lasted about 8 hrs while I slept that night, next day when I got up I figured try it again. 

This time I deleted everything when I restored the system back to 8.0, again all the hoops 113 updates, 8.1 update uninstall drivers, reinstall updated drivers, do full system scans, blah, blah, blah........

Bottom line fixed it for ONE DAY!

As you may have guessed, I do not quit. I am a never surrender type of person I am usually the person that goes insane when someone tells me the word CAN'T, including one person a long time ago on this forum.

Well this time, I am done with this particular TPT2, I ordered a used one from Ebay yesterday for a decent price and I will set it up for my wife and keep this unit as a parts unit if I need any. 

Unlike some people I do not think this is a Lenovo issue, I love my TPT2, an Ipad cannot do the job I require this device to do no matter what people say. LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY, I HAVE CONVICED 3 FAMILY MEMBERS TO BUY TPT2's this year. ENOUGH SAID!

I do not think it is drivers, I either think the Broadcom radio has been damaged and works intermittently or more likely the system has been contaminated by a worm when her system was unprotected, and I have been unable to remove it and the system is being corrupted beyond repair without fresh install.

Currently the device has the issue with the stylus that only works on 2/3 of the screen and no network available, maybe someday when I am really bored I will revisit it again,  but I have already invested over 40 hrs on this and it is time to put it aside for now.

Sorry for the long posting but I think this answers all possible questions.

Thanks for listening.

Terry

Options

9 Posts

08-01-2014

19 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 22 of 36

2014-08-01, 21:55 PM

I have also had this problem - ever since the last bios update came through.  I have update to all of the most recent Lenovo and Microsoft updates

I have tried all of the fixes mentioned above. But the WiFi is still completely unstable - and takes 30 minutes of rebooting, and turning WiFi on and off before it connects.  This morning I couldn't get it to connect at all.

It is frustrating to have a perfectly good table turned into a useless block.

I am now refreshing my tablet to try and get the tablet back to a usable state.

Edit: Neither Refreshing nor Restoring the original image made any difference.  I am really not happy with the Thinkpad Tablet 2.  Either Lenovo screwed it up through the Firmware update or sold a product with a fragile WiFi unit.  Either way, this is my last Lenovo product.

Options

30 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 23 of 36

2014-08-02, 0:14 AM

In my case I consider it an exception not the rule, I personnally have had a TPT2 for over a year and had a TPT1 before that. Of 4 devices my wifes is the only one that has had this issue and my personal one has all the updated drivers and bios. I set up 2 others for family at the same time I did hers and they have been working flawlessly both their owners love them. As far as buying other brands good luck, I have tried most of the computer manufacturers at one time or another and there are only 2 that I will currently buy Lenovo or Fujitsu.

Believe me I know the frustration, but I don't throw in the towel easily and may some day tinker with this one unit again.

Terry

Options

9 Posts

08-01-2014

19 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 24 of 36

2014-08-02, 4:41 AM

Hi Terry,

Your energy for repairing the TPT2 is exceptional.  I may be more relaxed about the TPT2 failling, but I was planning to take it on a months vacation (leaving in 3 days time).

Trying to update the device without WiFi almost caused me to smash the TPT2 against a wall.  Luckily, I remembered the Ethernet port on the docking station. I will update it, and set it aside.

I will monitor the forum after I get back to home, in case a solution is found.

Mike.

Options

30 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 25 of 36

2014-08-02, 16:51 PM

Oh believe me Mike, I can relate to the frustration level I contemplated everything from smashing it against the wall to using it for target practice after about the second rebuild and subsequent radio failure. 

For perspective my wife was out of town where there is no internet at her mothers house, so everything had to be done thru cell phone hotspot, there is poor to no data coverage in this rural town and to top it off I had to load drivers to my tablet, transfer to a flash drive and install on hers direct from the flash drive. 

The data speeds were so bad on the cell phone that it took multiple tries to get a simple driver to download.

But just as you want to have yours for vacation I wanted her to have hers for the remainder of her stay, and it would have worth it if it had lasted more than a day after I left.

Personally I think the TPT2 is a baytrail, and miniSSD away from business perfection, I would like the extra speed and capacity but all other changes are just for the sake of change. Windows 8.1 desktop mode does not need more resolution it can be hard enough to read and select tiny links as it is.

Options

30 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 26 of 36

2014-08-02, 16:57 PM
Mike,
If you have a desktop or laptop. do this go to Lenovos website and download all the drivers to a USB flash drive and keep that with you.
Make yourself some notes about what driver is what or rename them to what the driver is as long as you leave the .exe on the end of the name. Then if you have an issue you can try to effect a repair while away. I would just install the flash drive in the usb port on hers and double click the driver when I needed to and it would go thru the whole process just as if I had downloaded on her unit.
I hope that tip helps that way if you are away from the dock at least you have drivers.
Terry
Options

9 Posts

08-01-2014

19 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 27 of 36

2014-08-03, 22:45 PM

So I have continued to muck around with the TPT2.

I can connect perfectly to the internet sharing on my Nokia Lumia 1020.  it has 5 bars and connects every time.

I also installed inSSDer on my TPT2 and it can see my home network, even when it doesn't appear in the list of available networks in Windows.

I am pretty sure that this is a software problem from either MS or Lenovo.

Options

164 Posts

11-22-2010

Cooperstown, NY

434 Signins

2216 Page Views

• Views: 2216
  • Message 28 of 36

2014-08-04, 12:00 PM

Hi,

I have had multiple issues connecting to non-N WIFI routers. At the same time, I have fantastic results with N routers. As near as I can tell, this is a driver issue, but it's not getting fixed, because the advantages with an N router outweight making G work. Importantly, from what I can tell, N supports the low power modes needed by Connected Standby, but G does not.

In my home, I swapped out for a G router for an N router, and all problems went away. On the road, I can tell when I'm trying to connect to a non-N router, because the headaches all return. Fortunately, for the most part, I tether, and most businesses have upgraded to N. (I can't speak to A routers. Have never been near one to know how well they work

My advce is buy a new router.

Jonathan

Jonathan Becker
------------------------------------
CURRENT LENOVO PRODUCTS: Thinkpad Tablet 2
sn #R9WHND7, Win 8 Pro, BIOS 1.51, with Dock and TPT2 keyboard
Thinkpad USB Keyboard with Trackpoint
IdeaCenter B500

PAST: Thinkpad T22, X60 Tablet, X220 Tablet
Options

9 Posts

08-01-2014

19 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 29 of 36

2014-08-05, 0:25 AM

Hi Jonathan,

I agree with your assessment of a driver issue.

I am glad that your N router fixed the problem.   Sadly for me, my router is already an N. :(  I will just have to wate for Lenovo to fix their drivers.

Michael.

Edit: I have just been down to a local café with WiFi and the ThinkPad Table 2 worked perfectly. Something very strange is happening between the tablet and my router :/ none of my other devices in the house has any problems connecting to my router (including my Surface Pro).  I think this is the type of tech issue which leads to insanity.

Options

9 Posts

08-01-2014

19 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 30 of 36

2014-08-19, 0:16 AM

So I decided to take my TPT2 on my trip to Canada, rather than my Surface Pro. I really regret that decision.

The TPT2 has only connected to one router since I have left Australia. I am just glad that my Nokia is a competent device.

The TPT2 does not seem to connect to any router that is transmitting solely on the 2.4ghz. So unless there is a 5ghz signal. The TPT2 won't connect. Even though my home router is a N router- it only transmits on dual 2.4ghz.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete