04-16-2014

Australia

9 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 211 of 221

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 Wifi Issue

2014-05-05, 7:24 AM

Can someone from Lenovo please point me in the right direction to an updated driver order document?

The order of installing the drivers is still being claimed as the issue however no further explanation has been given.

I find this is extremely frustrating as you would think that using Thinkvantage System Update would alleviate a need for doing this however the same issue arises.

Options

3 Posts

04-01-2014

North Port, fL

6 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 212 of 221

2014-05-07, 13:39 PM

I haven't looked at Sophos yet, but I've been trying to find a fix for a month. I built my first system to pull an image and after getting it fully update started having this no wifi issue after rebooting. Lenovo support suggested resetting to factory. After getting updated again it was working normally, but then the problem returned after SysPrep and imaging.

I finally gave up and made a local system policy to reset the network adapters on boot. It takes an extra 10 seconds or so for it to work and the problem sometimes comes back if the system comes out of hibernate, but it helps.

Batch run by local GPO to dis/enable network:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIC.exe path win32_networkadapter where physicaladapter=true call disable
ping localhost
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIC.exe path win32_networkadapter where physicaladapter=true call enable
exit

Edit:

Adding the On-Demand exclusion in Sophos did the trick! Thanks to all this above for finding a better workaround!

Options

3 Posts

05-27-2014

United Kingdom

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 213 of 221

2014-05-27, 13:59 PM

What exclusions are required to be added in Sophos?  I dont really want to exclude on-demand scanning for the entire

directory?

Options

3 Posts

04-01-2014

North Port, fL

6 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 214 of 221

2014-05-27, 14:09 PM
Vaichai,
I'm going to echo Matt78's question. Have you heard anything from Sophos or Lenovo about what files are getting disabled? Excluding the entire System32 directory did the trick, but I question the safety of that.
Options

3 Posts

05-27-2014

United Kingdom

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Message 215 of 221

2014-05-27, 15:32 PM

Fixed on my tablet by carrying out the following:

1. Uninstaling Sophos

2. Removing and re-installing the WIFI Driver version 5.93.97.113

**At this point with no Sophos all works as expected**

3. Re-install Sophos (version 10.3.7)

This is now working no Sophos On-access scanning exceptions

I hope this works for others as it has no doubt caused everyone as much pain as I have experienced

Options

5 Posts

04-16-2014

Australia

9 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 216 of 221

2014-05-27, 15:59 PM

Unfortunatley I dont have anything to report in regards to resolution from either Sophos or Lenovo. They have both been less than helpful in regards to this issue.

Solution has been to remove Sophos completely and use Appsense for whitelisting to provide protection. Simply have had no time to continue troubleshooting as customers have been screaming at me for refunds about the **bleep**ty Lenovo tablets they have received.

Have also ceased any development on Windows 8 

Standard fleet items are now HP Revolve with Win7 and iPads.

With any luck Microsoft and all the vendors should have learnt some lessons with the live beta testing that is Windows 8 and provide something devcent in Windows 9 next year.

V

Options

5 Posts

04-16-2014

Australia

9 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 217 of 221

2014-05-27, 16:19 PM
Thanks matt, will give it a go when I have some time. Were you also having issues with Mobile Broadband?
Options

30 Posts

11-14-2012

US

147 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 218 of 221

2014-05-28, 1:05 AM

You know I have waited quite a while to do this fix.

I hesitated as I did not want to break any tabs on my case.

But, I just completed the antenna rerouting today and I can only say WOW what a difference.

I never showed being out of range or anything like that but web pages loaded slow, slow, slow.

Now it is like having a new machine, everything is much faster on the internet.

Shoud have done this a long time ago.

wrote:

Sure Mark,

I didn't take photos, and am extremely leery of the results of this on my warranty (how about a mulligan? :)), however here's the issue (on my unit).

routinge.png

When opening my unit, the cable was routed as the red line shows (is actually a gray wire) on this diagram. Though i'm not entirely sure the as-shown recommended route works either, and my WLAN card's outputs don't occur in exactly the same location (though very close), that might be a pre-production image in the service manual.

The 90d connector has 1mm of ridgid crimp-on leg which creates a stiff section of wiring. The wire was routed across a small ridge in the bottom of the case, and when tightening the screw on the main board, forced the 'stiff' section of connector over that ridge, and 'cocks' the connector around 20d on the jack. It's not quite enough to entirely disconnect it, but creates a miserable connection. It took several dissasemblies to spot the issue, one of which it did manage to entirely disconnect the fitting. I could feel an ever so slight 'click' to the screw in the last turn, which was the connector 'un clicking' off the board.

I ended up re-routing the wire carefully around the ridges in the case (again very little slack availible so this is tricky) and found by rotating the 90d fitting around 40d from how it was shipped, I was able to find a position that didn't intersect with the ridge in the plastic.

routing2e.png

Instant dramatic (hundred fold) improvement in signal.

My bet is if there are any others with my wire routing, they're suffering from poor connections. My unit seemed to 'fail over' to the backup WLAN antenna occasionally, show 5 bars, then snap immediately back to the primary antenna and often disconnect from the AP, or 'freeze up' for 2-3 seconds while it re-negotiates.

Lead to non stop issues, failure to authenticate against my domain controller, odd crashes, very laggy performance and poor video streaming etc. I presume the unit was constantly 'hunting' for signal and negotiating with the AP.

I'd rather not provide a 'step by step' for fear of people reading this, assuming i've written an easy step by step, they can do it at home with a screwdriver and flashlight. If your comfortable working inside tablets, the problem description should be more than enough to find and fix it. If you need a 'remove screw a and b, then ribbon tab c', your going risk damaging a unit which should be repaired by a lenovo service center.

I'm just a stobborn sob, and took the risk.

Mine was entirely repairable, just needs a careful eye.

Options

3 Posts

05-27-2014

United Kingdom

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Message 219 of 221

2014-05-28, 8:53 AM

Although I do have a 3G capable Tablet I am not using that functioinality so I'm unaware if this was actually an issue or not. 

Options

1 Posts

07-23-2014

UK

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 220 of 221

2014-07-23, 12:15 PM

Same issue being experienced here - Rather than excluding all of system32 directory specifying the following dll's for exclusion in Sophos seems to have enabled a consistent wifi connection

wlanui  -  Wireless Profile UI r
wlansvcpal - Windows WLAN AutoConfig Service PAL
wlansvc  - Windows WLAN AutoConfig Service 
wlansec -  Windows Wireless LAN 802.11 MSM Security Module DLL  
wlanpref - Wireless Preferred Networks   
wlanmsm -  Windows Wireless LAN 802.11 MSM DLL   
wlanMM  -  Dot11 Media and AdHoc Managers
wlanHC -   Wireless LAN Helper Classes  
wlancfg -  Wlan Netsh Helper DLL  
wlanapi -  Windows WLAN AutoConfig Client Side API DLL

Also experienced erratic connection issues with the Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter and found that switching the Antenna Diversity to 'Aux' rather than 'Auto' brought about further stability to the connection problems.

For the record I had to disable and enable the network adapter once the device had been restarted following the Sophos amendmants and following another power down have no connectivity issues with this device

Hope this is of help

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete