Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathanbecker
Punch Card
Views: 8,987
Message 1 of 26

Thinkpad Tablet 2 : Working well with Windows 10 Creator's Update

Hi all,

After pains dealing with the initial release and the Anniversary Update, I reverted my TPT2 to Win 8. The inability to read text in UWP's was baffling and frustrating.

I have since installed the Creator's Update, and all is well now. Well, mostly. It appears GPU support is only partial. I have not tried playing any games or other GPU heavy tasks, but it appears there is some slowness with the built in animations. Turning that off, along with most of the eye candy, such as transparency, makes a huge difference.

Windows Defender no longer bogs down the system to a crawl the way it used to.

I have noticed that in some apps, inking can be very slow. For instance, both Drawboard PDF and Microsoft Reader will drop strokes while inking (while the Win32 based Bluebeam Revu has no issues). Oddly, some of the pens in the Ink Sketch app built into Windows work, but not others.

I will continue to post my experiences here. However, it has renewed my use of this Tablet, which is nice.

DrRobinson
Punch Card
Views: 8,792
Message 2 of 26

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 : Working well with Windows 10 Creator's Update

Build 14393 was a major suckfest; I skipped it altogether. 15063 has some semblance of functionality in that I can actually see the metro apps rendered correctly, but the ever-buggy "optical trackpoint" companion program has a dumb problem where it will double-tap the middle click button when trying to scroll, making it nearly impossible to scroll. Restarting the computer, restarting the keyboard, and reinstalling the optical trackpoint software has no effect.

Did you experience this? If so, how were you able to bypass/fix it?

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 8,769
Message 3 of 26

I just tried installing the Creator Update on my Thinkpad Tablet 2 with Windows 10 build 14393, but it spills out an error using Media Creator Tool to install:

"Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC. Uninstall this app now because it isn't compatible with Windows 10."

Error code: 0x80070057

How do you guys install the Creator Update at first place? I also tried using the Windows Update Assistant, it keeps repeating the download-install cycle to no end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
DrRobinson
Punch Card
Views: 8,755
Message 4 of 26

@i2000s wrote:

I just tried installing the Creator Update on my Thinkpad Tablet 2 with Windows 10 build 14393, but it spills out an error using Media Creator Tool to install:

"Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC. Uninstall this app now because it isn't compatible with Windows 10."

Error code: 0x80070057

How do you guys install the Creator Update at first place? I also tried using the Windows Update Assistant, it keeps repeating the download-install cycle to no end.

It should just install fine no matter how you do it, but as I mentioned earlier, it's not worth it. 15063 fixes the graphical problems in the metro apps, but the companion program for the optical trackpoint does NOT work right. Just make do with 14393, if possible, for now. I think I'm going to try to roll mine back tomorrow if nobody has any suggestions for a workaround.

jonathanbecker
Punch Card
Views: 8,744
Message 5 of 26

With regards to the middle track button issue with the keyboard, I have not experienced it. On the other hand, I also don't use that function. I find having the screen that close to me, I just scroll with my finger.

Note, Windows 10 has not in any way fixed the bizarre problem the TPT2 has with random disconnects from the keyboard, or worse the sticking key problem. Frankly, I've always considered the keyboard (which I did not order, but they included in the box by mistake and told me to keep) to be crap. I much prefer a full size keyboard with a proper trackpoint.

I have had the issue that Windows 10 will "hibernate" the computer in a weird way, and then somehow drain the battery anyway. It's very weird and annoying.

Also, GPU performance is definitely affected. I have a lot of tearing going on, even just scrolling in Firefox.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 8,735
Message 6 of 26

You guys' observations seem to conflict with each other? I haven't made through the upgrade, but maybe I should wait...

TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
DrRobinson
Punch Card
Views: 8,714
Message 7 of 26

Rolled back to 14393 successfully; no problems so far

@i2000s wrote:

You guys' observations seem to conflict with each other? I haven't made through the upgrade, but maybe I should wait...

That's what I'd recommend. I rolled back to 14393 (Windows 10 "anniversary edition") last night and just started using it this morning. The scrolling issue is now all but nonexistant and metro apps are working okay as well (no missing visual elements like with 10586). Uninstalled "upgrade assistant" too so that I don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore either.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 8,261
Message 8 of 26

Re: Rolled back to 14393 successfully; no problems so far

I think the problem is that Intel has discarded the driver support from their Atom CPUs on Windows 10. Hopefully, Microsoft can figure this out soon. BTW, I received the Creator Update notification again after installing some updates from MS. Anyone else tried?

Ref: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/intel-clover-trail-proc...

MrcJkb89
Paper Tape
Views: 8,037
Message 9 of 26

I have received the notification, but no updates.
Joining the insider program on the release preview ring got the update to download, but it fails saying something like "Windows 10 is no longer supported on your PC". I left the insider program again and created an ISO file using the Media Creation Tool. Selecting the option to do a clean install and only keep my documents appears to ignore the incompatibility issue, but so far I have been reluctant to go through with the installation. I don't think I'd be able to roll back if there are any issues.
Selecting the "keep my files and apps" option results in the incompatibility error. So it seems like the only ways to get the Creators upade on a TPT2 are to do a clean install via an ISO and hope for the best or to wait and hope for MS to fix the driver incompatibility (which could take up to forever).

To anyone with the Creators Update running, what are your experiences so far? (Apart from the TrackPoint issues)

MrcJkb89
Paper Tape
Views: 7,009
Message 10 of 26

I finally got around to performing the clean install. It works. You have to select "keep nothing" and it'll start the installation.
I haven't noticed any difference in performance compared to the Anniversary update. There are no UI glitches on my tablet, but the performance is no better.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors