Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amazzeo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 37,837
Message 1 of 100

Thinkpad Tablet 2 can't run Windows 10

Hello,

"Get Windows 10" or the built-in updater states that the ThinkPad Tablet 2 cannot run Windows 10.  The reason seems to be because of the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator.   The exact message states:

Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC.

Intel(R) Graphics Meida Accelerator

The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.  Check with the manufacturer for support.

Does anyone know if there will eventually be support for the ThinkPad Tablet 2 by Intel, Microsoft, or Lenovo?  Is there an updated driver that I might need to install?  Thank you.

blind_frog
Paper Tape
Views: 37,466
Message 2 of 100

Re: Thinkpad Tablet 2 can't run Windows 10

I've the same problem. As far as have check there are no new drivers neither on lenovo site nor Intel webpage. Has any one figure it out how to skip this problem?

jdemsar
Paper Tape
Views: 37,390
Message 3 of 100

The same problem here. Suggestions?

blind_frog
Paper Tape
Views: 37,333
Message 4 of 100

Well I've found this drivers in this forum in this topic posted by JohannAx

Student_THINKer
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 37,227
Message 5 of 100

Don't be fooled by the link to the drivers posted above!

The first download link on that page (Description: Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor Z2760 IPC with SCU Driver Installer)

will not install the drivers you want, but will instead put a utility called "Driver Toolkit" on your computer that claims to find the necessary drivers and, for a price of at least $30, automate the driver installation process for you. Don't trust that program!

Instead, use the second download link, which has the legitimate driver installation process and does not cost a penny - just the way it's supposed to be. (Just to be sure, make sure the description above the button reads as followsSmiley Happy

• Driver Version: 6.2.9200.28847
  • Release Date: 2013-01-06
  • File Size: 24.86M
  • Supported OS: Windows XP 32bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows 7 32bit, Windows 8 32bit

UPDATE! Installing the drivers and a reboot later, the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator compatiblity problem remains. So, the problem has yet to be solved!

gnfb
Paper Tape
Views: 37,055
Message 6 of 100

Same problem hoping for a solution I feel like a kid at christmas whos parents for got him.....

zippy55513
What's DOS?
Views: 36,933
Message 7 of 100

I was able to install windows 10 onto my thinkpad but I have a big warning to everyone - it probably won't work well.

What I did was I started with Windows 8.1.  I put the install media onto a usb stick from another computer. I put the USB stick in and ran the setup program.  When asked what kind of install I wanted to do, I chose to upgrade and wipe out all windows files (but keep all my personal files).  After windows 10 was installed, the system was extremely laggy.  Turns out all the drivers are wrong for this setup, so I downloaded the windows 8.1 "Intel Platform Drivers" from lenovo (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/thinkpad-tablet-series/thinkpad-tablet-2/downloads/... and installed them.  After that, the computer was a lot better.  

Now for the big problem.  The display adapter drivers aren't fully compatible with the tablet and you will get some odd behavior in windows 10.  For example, some text/buttons may be missing.  This was the best I could do to make it the most stable system - and I've tried lots of drivers from Intel and such.  I hope they come up with new drivers as I do like Windows 10.

JanezK
Paper Tape
Views: 36,737
Message 8 of 100

same here. who should asked? Intel, Lenovo or MS?

Amitsax
Paper Tape
Views: 36,668
Message 9 of 100

I used the same driver package and seems to be doing OK - except for one unknown device ACPI\INT33B4: Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor Z2760 Security Engine
It is just not taking the driver from this pack or the earlier consolidated back. system gives either installation error of IRQ error.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 36,359
Message 10 of 100

@amazzeo wrote:

Hello,

"Get Windows 10" or the built-in updater states that the ThinkPad Tablet 2 cannot run Windows 10.  The reason seems to be because of the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator.   The exact message states:

Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC.

Intel(R) Graphics Meida Accelerator

The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.  Check with the manufacturer for support.

Does anyone know if there will eventually be support for the ThinkPad Tablet 2 by Intel, Microsoft, or Lenovo?  Is there an updated driver that I might need to install?  Thank you.

At first, Intel didn't intend to make drivers available, but I suspect the backlash has caused them to have a rethink. It looks as though they are now working on a graphics driver:

https://twitter.com/IntelSupport/status/626691582297817089

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors