Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ve1705
Paper Tape
Views: 2,424
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 Tablet NVMe Problem

I am having trouble with my Thinkpad Tablet X1. Windows 10 BSOD happening dozen of times every day with error code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or UNEXPECTED_STORAGE_EXCEPTION. Particularly, when the BSOD message was UNEXPECTED_STORAGE_EXCEPTION, the BIOS did not recognize or detect any drive after reboot, then I have to reset or turn off the laptop again.

This is very annoying, I use this laptop for work and having dozen times hard-drive failure every day is making me mad. I thought that in the beginning this was either driver or antivirus problem, but after checking that all drivers are updated and antivirus (Kaspersky) was disabled, the errors persist and I suspect this is hardware trouble. I suspect that the NVMe connection is loose. But the strange thing is, if it were loose and the connection was broken, I don't expect that the NVMe will even be recognized again after restart. BIOS shouldn't and wouldn't be able to recognize an NVMe which has connection broken to motherboard.

This is very strange thing. Anybody experienced the same issue or has any idea what to do?

Or has someone had this trouble in the past would describe the solution before I proceed further with warranty claim?

I guess the technician would be clueless as well.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,413
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X1 Tablet NVMe Problem

my guess is a bad drive.  There is nothing that could be loose.  It is plugged into a socket and screwed down.  The only other choice is a bad disk controller (motherboard).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ve1705
Paper Tape
Views: 2,377
Message 3 of 5

What did you mean by a bad drive? I just did a hard drive scan and found no bad sector. Is that what you mean with bad drive?

So do you suggest just to send the tablet for the repair - for either case? Warranty is until 05/2019.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,371
Message 4 of 5

SSD's often don't get bad sectors; they don't respond fast enough when they are getting sick.  Send it in.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
parkerman0216
Paper Tape
Views: 976
Message 5 of 5

I recommend that the BIOS power off and then link, and then upgrade the BIOS to the latest try, I think it is the BIOS battery problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors