Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

01-26-2019

Canada

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: Thinkpad X1 Tablet gen 3 NVMe SSD upgrade

2019-01-26, 20:01 PM

Getting my x1 tablet in a couple of days and looking to do this upgrade myself. 2 questions:

1. Does opening it up and installing the drive good the warranty?

2. What drive (exact model if possible) came with the tablet?

Thanks!

Options

7 Posts

12-30-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 12 of 20

2019-08-28, 2:54 AM

(I should've taken pictures of the teardown--d'oh!)

[Yes, doing this will likely void your warranty.]

After 8 months of putting it off (terrified of breaking something) and being busy with work, I've swapped out my 256GB stock NVMe SSD Intel Model: SSDPEKKF256G8L (see pic), with a Samsung Evo 1TB NVMe MZ-V7E1T0BW (got it for about $160 at Fry's back in December). I used a MyDigital M2X usb external kit (MDNVME-M2X-USB, $33 on Amazon) and Paragon Hard Disk Manager to clone my original drive to the replacement. I had no issues with Paragon recognizing/seeing the drive in the external kit and the clone took maybe half an hour. Paragon also allowed me to expand the original primary partition and make a second partition (I'll explain in a moment).

I used the engineer repair manual (as mentioned in an earlier post) as a reference. I will warn you, it wants you to remove a bunch of things, such as removing speakers, the battery, etc, which are unnecessary. Follow the steps to disable the battery, let it cool, etc. Then basically, once you have the tablet open and the screen carefully positioned (I didn't bother disconnecting the ribbon cables), disconnect the ribbon for the heatsink fan, then remove the heatsink assembly and you'll have access to the SSD. Piece of cake. Carefully clean off the old thermal paste with a paper towel and some alcohol, apply new thermal paste (Artic Silver, in my case), reverse steps for reassembly, power on and done. I did disconnect the battery cable, but I'm not sure it was necessary, and I did a boot test before reinstalling all the screws (retention clips will hold the screen in place fine for a minute without the screws). I was worried about the two display ribbon cables, ribbons tend to be notoriously fragile. All good, though, no accidents.

Now, my plans at this point are to use 64GB partition for an install of Android-x86 to see how it works on this machine (I'll probably use Bliss OS), dual booting between Windows and Pie. I don't know yet if this tablet will like it or what will end up not working (cams, which I don't use, but most likely the fingerprint reader). I'll be back tomorrow (really) with an update on how Android runs on it.

Edit: additional info and corrections.

--SerinFel
Options

7 Posts

12-30-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 13 of 20

2019-08-30, 8:40 AM

TL;DR No Linux/Android (without serious fenaggling).

I've been trying for two days to get Android to boot, I've gone from Bliss to vanilla Android-x86, and no dice. Why? Because, as I've discovered after the fact (if I'd discovered it sooner, would it have stopped me from trying? No) that Linux is not supported on the X1 Tablet g3. I'm channeling my inner Han Solo when I say this: Thank you, Lenovo. Thank you very much.

Now, I have read that you CAN get Linux running, but Windows doesn't like to dual-boot and play nice with it, and you have to install a Surface kernel, do some fenaggling via su commands that goes over my head. I'm not exactly versed in the use and intricacies of Linux, and while I'm not opposed to learning (I will eventually because I want Android running on my X1, dammit), it's not going to happen for me anytime soon, without some research.

I figure the Surface kernels that work in one distro may work in Android-x86 with some tweaking, I'm just not up to task on that at the moment and will leave it to anyone else who has the time and is feeling adventurous. Good luck.

--SerinFel
Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6225 Signins

23927 Page Views

• Views: 23927
  • Message 14 of 20

2019-11-23, 16:29 PM

For those still interested in doing some SSD surgery on their X1 Tablet 3rd gen, I found a helpful teardown video. Helpful in the sense that it made me decide not to attempt this! :)  Turns out you need to remove the heatsink entirely, exposing thermal paste on the CPU. Fine I guess, but personally I was concerned about getting good thermal contact when putting that back. 

Options

7 Posts

12-30-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 15 of 20

2019-11-25, 0:27 AM

Yeah, heatsink has to come off to get to the ssd. But I had a tube of Artic Silver, albeit one that was ten years old, so I wasn't too concerned with that.

I haven't noticed mine overheating or otherwise getting warmer than normal under load (and it does get warm to the touch under load, it did that before I opened it up) since replacing the stock thermal paste. It was worth the trouble of opening it up to get more on-board storage in addition to the uSD.

--SerinFel
Options

27 Posts

07-18-2013

United States of America

36 Signins

267 Page Views

• Views: 267
  • Message 16 of 20

Re:Thinkpad X1 Tablet gen 3 - What type of SSD?

2020-04-16, 14:29 PM

I can't tell for sure, but is the M.2 SSD in the X1 Tablet Gen3 the first type, or older basic type?

NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280

-or-

M.2 2280 SATA

They are different, right?

Options

7 Posts

12-30-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 17 of 20

Re:Thinkpad X1 Tablet gen 3 NVMe SSD upgrade

2020-04-16, 16:22 PM
I do not know the version of the port. I can tell you that I get full speed out of the Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 drive I swapped in, based on my own testing and everyday usage. There's got to be a tear down video by now or something somewhere that mentions the version, considering the model is pushing two years old.

--SerinFel
Options

7 Posts

12-30-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 18 of 20

2020-04-16, 16:43 PM
Sorry for the double post, it's not letting me edit my last post. I think I misunderstood your question. You wanted to know the version/type of the actual stock drive not the port? In that case, iirc from the data sheet for my build, the stock drive was listed as a M.2 SATA. However, on the bare drive itself it says PCI Express NVM Express. I grabbed a pic of the drive before I removed it, with the sn and such covered. Hope this helps.
Screenshot_20190827-193401_Gallery.jpg

--SerinFel
Options

27 Posts

07-18-2013

United States of America

36 Signins

267 Page Views

• Message 19 of 20

2020-04-16, 17:05 PM

Thanks, this is exactly what your picture shows:

Intel 256GB PCIe-NVMe SSD, 2280 M.2, SSDPEKKF256G8L

This is useful, but also wanted to know the port as well.  Thanks!

So I am pretty sure that this is NOT the SATA / older variant, but the newer variant - which is good.

I want the fastest thing that will work.

So any M.2 SSD that says: NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280- are these still compatible, specifically the

Gen3x4 in there?  Guess I will try one and see if it works. I am guessing this means just the latest version

with the newest technology.

But it's not the SATA version as that and NVMe are definitely different.  That would be Samsung 860 (SATA), not

the 970 (NVMe M.2) the earlier post mentions.

Options

27 Posts

07-18-2013

United States of America

36 Signins

267 Page Views

• Message 20 of 20

2020-04-17, 11:03 AM

It’s weird because Crucials upgrade site show M.2 SATA for the Gen3 X1.   My disk management for mine which I have not

opened up yet shows the same drive model as you show.  A new one should be able to go much faster. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms