Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgreeno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,661
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad X1 Tablet gen 3 NVMe SSD upgrade

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Found some great information about some issues with the Gen 3 Tablet, I recently purchased an i5 256 gb version. I had every intention to upgrade the ssd, but I haven't bee able to find any info on doing it. I bought a Samsung 970 nvme 1 tb drive on Black Friday and an USB to Nvme m.2 enclosure to clone the drive and I can't seem to get the computer to recognise the drive. Device manager recognises the enclosure, but not the drive. and Disk manager does not recognise the drive at all. I've also tried DISKPART - list disk and it doesn't show the disk either.  I'm not sure if I have a bad drive, or a there is something I am not aware of, but I need some advice. Has anyone attempted to upgrade the ssd on their tablet?  

bgreeno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,486
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad X1 Tablet gen 3 NVMe SSD upgrade

I've given this forum 5 days and haven't even recieved any reply. I guess I'll consider this closed and try returning the SSD.
SerinFel
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,300
Message 3 of 11

bgreeno,

Sorry no one has replied to your post. I just found this thread trying to find a teardown or suggestions on doing the exact same as you and joined to reply. I ended up purchasing the i7 version of the X1 Tablet 3g with maxxed ram and figured it'd be more cost effective to upgrade the drive to a Samsung 1TB myself. I'm too stubborn to admit that was a mistake.

I've had a hell of a time getting EaseUS to work (my usual go-to). It recognizes the drive in my external enclosure just fine, but the software is unusually buggy on the X1 and keeps hanging up (no number of reinstalls help across two versions). I'm going to try Paragon Hard Disk Manager and I'll post back tomorrow (it's now 1am Sat, early Sun Dec 30th) with my progress.

Worst case scenario, I may have to buy another enclosure and use the two to clone one drive to the other via my desktop (my EaseUS install is stable on that machine). Hoping I don't have to go with another $30 dollar expense, but we'll see.

Here's hoping you still have your drive, I imagine you got a good deal and won't find that again for some time.

--SerinFel
SerinFel
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,285
Message 4 of 11

Just in case this has not yet been referenced/found:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1tablet_gen3_hmm_en.pdf

pg54 Starts prep for tear down

pg74 Replacing the SSD

I've worked on laptops before, smart phones, but never tablets. Guess it's just a big phone. This is going to be fun to open up. I was going to attach the pdf of the hardware maintenance manual, but it exceeds the attachment size limit. Bummer. Four years from now someone else with similar questions or issues is going to need it and the link will be dead. Then they'll google it and end up reading this post. Oops....

--SerinFel
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,251
Message 5 of 11

@bgreeno

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  Probably would't have been able to help, but I'd like to know which NVMe/USB adapter you were using.

The early ones had specific sector size requirements.  They could (at least with some drives) be used after re-initializing the drive but could not be used to successfully clone a drive.  Even their vendors warned that they could not clone drives. I'd still have expected the drive to show up.  Maybe...

I've since tried a later version from another vendor (MyDigitalSSD) that seems to work, but even that is subject to further testing.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
bgreeno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,214
Message 6 of 11

Thank you for the replies. I did end up Returning the 870 EVO and instead tried a WD Black 1 TB which worked immediatly after connecting it. I tried two enclosures over all in a series of 3 computers/laptops to confirm that it was the drive not the enclosure.

The Enclosures I tried are available on Amazon ( the first enclosure worked immediatly when I installed the WB Black in it):

Adwits USB 3.1 UASP to PCIe NVMe

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F2S9KYN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A ADWITS USB 3.1 UASP Type-C to NVMe M.2 High-Performance PCIe SSD Adapter

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HMQXN3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just for Info purposes

The WD Black works very well (maybe not quite as fast as the 870, but its a solid drive) and was easy to install. I originally cloned it with  Macrium Refect and it kept crashing when I tried to install Kaspersky. I did backup my documents to the micro SD I installed in the computer and used a fresh install from the Lenovo Recovery USB. 

The maintenance manual above was helpful in pointing out the two tiny side screws (by the power button and inside after removing the SD card tray) otherwise taking the machine apart was very simple. after removing 9 or so screws on the copper plate heatsink/fan the Drive is readily accessible. There was another (empty) receiver for what I thought looked like a small SATA drive, but I can't confirm what it is for. I was able to remove the ssd and with gloves and an exacto knife reused the sticky pad on the back that holds it to the MB and reused the heatsink wraping that was on the original SSD. I imagine that finger oils would affect their ability to stick again, so I used gloves, and peeled them off by starting them with a razor. You may or may not want to reapply the thermal compound (under the heatsink), I didn't and haven't noticed any heat issues. After putting everything back the way I found it the machine booted up nicely and I haven't had any issues since I did a fresh install  . 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,205
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the links.  Both of those warn about sector size issues and cloning.  I wonder if that explains the issues with the cloned drive.  No clue... It does not surprise me that they were OK with an uninitialized  or unformatted drive... if that was the initial status of the WD SSD.

The major problem I had with adapters like that - fussy about sector size - is that they were useless for forensics and recovery of a drive that had been partitioned and formatted with a Lenovo factory image.  My suspicion is that would have been a problem with any SSD built by a Win 10 install.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 3,154
Message 8 of 11

EDIT:  Oops, apologies folks.  I missed that bgreeno already mentioned Macrium Reflect.  I can't figure out how to delete my post, so I guess I'll just leave it for posterity since I already typed it all!  Smiley Surprised

Hey Folks,

Now, while I haven't done this so I could repalce my HDD, I do take images of my HDDD so I can roll my device back to a last-known-good state in case I do anything so impactful that not even Windows' System Restore can fix it.  Which I have done to my X1TG3, and the software package I used rolled it back perfectly.

(I have no affiliation with the following product whatsoever, I'm just a very impressed and satisfied customer.)  I'm using Macrium Reflect software.  It has worked well for me, and it's free for non-commercial home use.

Now, I can't say for sure if it'll work on a drive in an external enclsoure, nor can I say if it'll work with a target that is a different size than the source.  But it's a possibility, and, shoot, it's free.  It can't hurt to try.

You could take an image of your X1TG3 drive while it's stll in the machine, remove the drive, install the new drive in the X1TG3, then use Macrium to lay down the image from the original drive onto the new drive.  Problematic external enclosure problem solved.  (Maybe.)  It won't image one drive to another in real-time (as far as I know), but it will do it "serially."

Macrium can image just one partition, or all four that are on our X1TG3s.  So you can even get the OEM windows recovery partition backed up.

bgreeno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,133
Message 9 of 11

With regard to the adapters, I don't know if it significant or not, but the tablet did immediately recognize the WD drive and it was able to be initialized as soon as it was pluged in. Where as the Samsung drive in the same enclosure was not recognized by any means I tried (Disk Manager, DSKPRT, or bios). As a side note, the enclosure with the 870 installed was seen by device manager, but not the ssd. 

Silichb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,669
Message 10 of 11

If anyone is having specific issues with the film on the screen being worn away by the keyboard or stylus from normal use, please post details on the below link.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/X1-Tablet-3rd-Gen-Screen-scratching/m-p/4338326#M34963

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors