Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-17-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 6

Trouble installing Windows 10 on ThinkPad tablet 10 20E3. Media driver missing

2021-06-17, 19:10 PM

I've been attempting to load Windows 10 onto a ThinkPad tablet 10 (20E3) with no luck. When I click install, I get a message that states,

"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. IF you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now. Note: if the installation media for windows is in the DVD driver or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

Most sources online recommend switching USB ports, as the USB 3.0 Driver might not be running, but as there is only one USB port, which is USB 3.0, I cannot do this.

• The first thing that I tried was to create a Windows installation USB with the media creation tool 21H1. This made no difference.
  • When that didn't work, I used used shift-F10 and diskpart to reformat the SSD in the tablet. No dice. 
  • After that, I tried another recommendation I found on the web, which was to download and use the Intel Rapid Storage Technology INF files, but none of them work with the tablet. 
  • Next, I tried pulling inf files from the motherboard driver installation exe file which I downloaded from Lenovo, but did not find any which made a difference.

I'm about at my wit's end at this point, having scoured the web for hours. Is there anyone here who can give me a solution, or at least point me in the correct direction, so that I can reload windows on this tablet? 

Options

5641 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

926 Signins

28694 Page Views

• Views: 28694
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Trouble installing Windows 10 on ThinkPad tablet 10 20E3. Media driver missing

2021-06-17, 21:18 PM

Hello Scionara!

Welcome to community forums

It seems like the computer is not detecting the recovery media. Have you tried using a different recovery media?

If yes, and still the same, I would suggest you bring it to any of our authorized repair centers in your area to identify the point of failure. 

You can find the list here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/partnerlocator

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

06-17-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re:Trouble installing Windows 10 on ThinkPad tablet 10 20E3. Media driver missing

2021-06-18, 14:09 PM

I don't think that I'm using any sort of recovery media or have any, for that matter. I wiped the drive, so there isn't much to recover. My first attempt was with an official Windows 10 Pro installation USB. All subsequent attempts were with an installation USB which I created with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool 21H1. There's no way that the tablet is still under warranty, so I am not too keen on taking it in to be loaded. If you have the drivers or know what I could be missing, that would be quite helpful. 

Options

1 Posts

06-23-2021

Canada

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-06-23, 2:02 AM

Hey man its probably wayto late at this point but you could try installing  windows 10 live os on a micro sd slot. ive successfully done something similar inthe past. hope that helps

Options

3 Posts

06-17-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-06-23, 3:03 AM

Thank you. I will try that.

Options

5641 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

926 Signins

28694 Page Views

• Views: 28694
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-06-23, 11:25 AM

Recovery media pertains to the recovery USB/CD/DVD/SD card/.

You can try the suggested option above or create another recovery media.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms