Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

01-08-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

Which Pen for ThinkPad X1 Gen3 20KJ or 20KK?

2021-01-08, 7:12 AM

I dropped the pen, breaking the point, for my ThinkPad X1 Gen3. It falls under the 20KJ and 20KK product lines. Finding the correct replacement pen, let alone just the tips, seems to be one of the great mysteries of life.

Lenovo's website shows three or four that could possibly work. 

1) Lenovo Pen Pro (4X80R02889) - This is certainly not the pen that originally came with the computer. It might be newer and better, but at $100, it seems expensive. It also is rechargeable via USB-C. There is no battery option. I've ruled that one out.

2) Lenovo Active Pen (GX80K32882). At $50, this one has only 2,048 levels of pressure, but the description says it has palm rejection. Perhaps that's just old terminology no longer included. It runs on one AAAA battery. There is also an Active Pen 2 with 4,096 pressure levels and three extra tips. It, too, runs on one AAA battery and is $66. Lenovo's Pen's reference guide does not show the X1 Gen 3 is compatible with the Active Pen 2, and the Active Pen is only compatible with other specific X1 tablets - but the sales rep says it "should work."

3) Lenovo ThinkPad Pen Pro (4X80H34887). This one looks the closest to the original pen. It's $45, so the least expensive: the Lenovo site states, 109. Only can support touch screen system. I'm not sure what that means or if there is limited performance.

Finally, if I put the serial number of the computer into the website and get a list of parts, the pen comes up as 00HN890, and it is absolutely the one that I'm holding (except mine has a broken tip). That part number does NOT come up on the Lenovo site. Doing a web search on it pulls up #3 above - the Lenovo ThinkPad Pen Pro. It's available through one of Amazon's resellers.

I've been on the phone and online chat with Lenovo Sales and Tech Support. Neither can explain the differences and give me anything more than "it should work." There is a replacement parts line, but two days ago, it was closed an hour before it should have been, and tonight I spent two hours trying to get through but got only a busy signal.

Does anybody have any answers or suggestions?

Thanks!

Options

2794 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

298 Signins

14051 Page Views

• Views: 14051
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Which Pen for ThinkPad X1 Gen3 20KJ or 20KK?

2021-01-08, 9:48 AM

Hi MisterBee,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The ThinkPad X1 Gen 3 (20KJ or 20KK) supports these Pens - SmartFind.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

393 Posts

11-29-2019

France

83 Signins

4361 Page Views

• Views: 4361
  • Message 3 of 5

Which Pen for ThinkPad X1 Gen3 20KJ or 20KK?

2021-01-29, 7:28 AM
Have you found a satisfactory replacement pen?
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

56 Signins

335 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 335
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-02-24, 8:29 AM

I previously lost mine and had trouble sourcing pens, ended up with two by accident lol 😂

Left is Active Pen 2 with Battery 4X80N95873 which is a bit taller than original, but still fits in the holder just fine. It has a configurable button on top, but sadly to power that it takes two tiny little SR527SW batteries rather than feeding off the main AAAA so that's an added pain, FYI. 
Right is Lenovo ThinkPad Pen Pro 4X80H34887 which seems to be a like-for like replacement of the original, at least it looks that way to me. Matches the device better.

U can find either using the excellent SmartFind link provided above by @Voithos

Both are recognised by the device fine. Both fit inside the stylus holder that came with the device.
Unless you're looking for something I'd go with the standard cheaper one that matches the device.

Enjoy >

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

4822 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

869 Signins

24777 Page Views

• Views: 24777
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-02-24, 17:28 PM

Hi there!

Aside from the Smartfind provided above, you can also check compatible accessories and options for Lenovo machines here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/um006391-accessories-and-options-compatibility-matrix-ocm

This link is updated from time to time.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms