Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-03-2014

New York

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 9

Windows 8.1 64-bit on Thinkpad 8 this year?

2014-03-03, 2:56 AM

Hey, new user here. I've been really interested in all the 8" Windows 8.1 tablets. I travel for long periods of time during the year. Leaving my MacBook Pro at home during my travels is the goal. 

I've pretty much decided on the Thinkpad 8 because of the higher resolution screen. However, does anyone here have any idea if a 64-bit version is in the works for this year? The 32-bit situation is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger. There are a lot of programs that I will be utilizing that I'd prefer to install 64-bit versions of.

Bay Trail is supposed to make the full conversion this year to 64-bit. From what I understand HP is releasing a 10" Bay Trail tablet with Windows 8 64-bit this month. However, I'd prefer the 8" format as opposed to the 10". Any information anyone has on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Windows 8.1 64-bit on Thinkpad 8 this year?

2014-03-03, 7:30 AM

I think that one possible reason for the lack of a 64bits version is the fact that Microsoft has yet to deliver support for Connected Standby in Windows 8.1 64bits. I believe that it should be available by mid-year, but I have no definitive information on that - just a guess.

See: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/can-windows-8-andor-surface-pro-support-connected/97f49a0d-4f03-4fe6-aa6d-df1997c4114c

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

5 Posts

03-03-2014

New York

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2014-03-03, 15:21 PM

Yes, I read about the Connected Standby issue being the cause for Bay Trail processors being regressed to 32-bit.

Oh wow, mid year. You think it will take that long? It would be unfortunate if it took Lenovo took that long to get out a 64-Bit version. Well, hopefully Dell or Asus updates the screens on their 8" tablets and releases 64-Bit versions before then. I would hate to wait that long to get one. They already have the Bay Trail Yoga 11 running 64-Bit at BB. HP is also releasing a 64-Bit Bay Trail tablet this month. 

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2014-03-03, 15:49 PM

Er, the driver has to come from Microsoft/Intel - this is not a Lenovo/Dell/Asus issue. This is Intel and Microsoft's responsibility, as far as I'm aware.

OEM's can already put Windows 64bit on Baytrail - but until Microsoft/Intel get the driver out, the devices can't use Connected Standby, only traditional Sleep/Hibernate modes.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

5 Posts

03-03-2014

New York

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2014-03-03, 17:44 PM

wrote:

Er, the driver has to come from Microsoft/Intel - this is not a Lenovo/Dell/Asus issue. This is Intel and Microsoft's responsibility, as far as I'm aware.

OEM's can already put Windows 64bit on Baytrail - but until Microsoft/Intel get the driver out, the devices can't use Connected Standby, only traditional Sleep/Hibernate modes.

Right, I got that. I was under the impression the Connected Standby issue has been resolved as HP is coming out with a 64-Bit Bay Trail tablet this month and the Yoga 2 11 with Bay Trail recently just released and it too is 64-Bit. 

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2014-03-03, 17:50 PM

Well, we'll find out soon enough. Also, the previous generation Haswell chips can use Connected Standby, and we just haven't seen any examples because of the lack of the 64bit driver.

Options

5 Posts

03-03-2014

New York

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2014-03-03, 19:50 PM

wrote:

Well, we'll find out soon enough. Also, the previous generation Haswell chips can use Connected Standby, and we just haven't seen any examples because of the lack of the 64bit driver.

I hope so. I would hate to have to resort to purchasing a bulkier 10"-11" form factor with Core just to have the luxury of 64-Bit. At that point, I would probably just get a Surface Pro 2 which IMHO is too expensive (although it is worth it). I would much rather get an 8" tablet for my needs.

If nothing comes about by April/May, I might just take the splurge and get the Thinkpad 8 and live with 32-Bit. I can't go all summer without something. Hopefully it will be more readily available and perhaps dropped in price also to justify the downgrade to 32-Bit.

Options

122 Posts

03-11-2009

Southeastern US

289 Signins

2371 Page Views

• Views: 2371
  • Message 8 of 9

2014-03-05, 22:46 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Right, I got that. I was under the impression the Connected Standby issue has been resolved as HP is coming out with a 64-Bit Bay Trail tablet this month and the Yoga 2 11 with Bay Trail recently just released and it too is 64-Bit. 

The Yoga 2 11 may use a chip that is built off the Bay Trail core, but it is not the uber-power optimized Atom. I wouldn't equate the two or make any assumptions around availability of features like Connected Standby.

HP appears to have waited for the 64-bit version to be available before releasing their tablet. I bet this is why we haven't seen the ThinkPad Tablet 3 yet; waiting for 64-bit & 4GB on a 10".

I wouldn't expect to see Lenovo update the TP 8 with 64-bit Windows and definitely not adding more RAM; this design was based around 2GB of RAM and adding more would necessitate a hardware redesign. The big manufacturers definitely rushed to market with their 8-inch Windows tablets and given the screen size, I can understand not requiring more than 2GB of RAM.

Also, FWIW, while I prefer to use 64-bit apps as well, on an Atom CPU with 2GB of RAM, I don't think there are any practical gains to be had. That said, if Win8.1 is updated with support for connected standby, you could theoretically install your own copy (I know on Win7 the serial was good for 32 and 64 bit) and load the drivers. Most everything should work I imagine.

Options

201 Posts

04-18-2014

Toronto, ON

240 Signins

1956 Page Views

• Views: 1956
  • Message 9 of 9

2014-06-25, 3:56 AM
The Thinkpad Tablet 3 ecetim has mentioned in the previous post has been available from Lenovo as the 10.1 inch Thinkpad 10 tablet, and yes, it is available in 32 and 64 bit versions running on Atom. I doubt the Connected Standby support, though.

As for Thinkpad 8, I would really love to see Lenovo update the device with the Thinkpad 10's Z3795 and 64 bit support. Throw in an active digitizer pen and you've got yourself a productivity workstation that literally fits in your pocket!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms