Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tobers
Punch Card
Views: 7,157
Message 1 of 17

Windows 8.1 Bluetooth crashing issue

I thought I'd start a new thread on this rather than muddying the display driver problem thread.

I have win 8.1 Pro, BIOS 1.31, on a TPT2 3679-CTO.

I have the display driver failure issue.

I also have a bluetooth issue. On fresh bootup, the tablet connects to my Microsoft Wedge Keyboard over bluetooth no problem. If I put the tablet into standby by pressing the power button or closing the magnetic cover, or just letting it sleep through inactivity timeout, when coming out of standby the keyboard is no longer connected.

From the desktop, clicking the taskbar bluetooth icon and seleting "show bluetooth devices" brings up the blue screen with a big cog on it (settings) for about 1 second, then all I get is a blank white screen for 5 seconds followed by the Metro Start screen coming up.

Control Panel > Devices & Printers shows the Wedge Mobile Keyboard displayed. Right clicking on it to get proeprties results in the control panel program hanging with the little rotating circle mouse icon.

Device Manager > Bluetooth shows Bluetooth Radio, Device Identification Service, Enumerator, LE Enumerator, Wedge Mobile Keyboard and Service Discovery Service all "work properly" (ha ha!!).

Tapping Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and devices > Bluetooth results in a hangup, with no bluetooth devices or information displayed - the screen just shows the Lock screen preview and the screen is unresponsive to taps though the Metro Start screen can be brought up and I can switch to other apps.

The problem is solved with a reboot.

There's clearly a problem here. All was OK before my Win 8.1 install.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,138
Message 2 of 17

Re: Windows 8.1 Bluetooth crashing issue

I notice that on my TPT2 (Win 8.1 Pro, BIOS 1.29), Windows Update is offering a Broadcomm Bluetooth update in the Optional updates list.

Have you installed this, or are you still using the Lenovo driver version?

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Tobers
Punch Card
Views: 7,132
Message 3 of 17

If I could get the thing out of standby I'd tell you :-)

I do recall an update coming down. Will check shortly and let you know.

Moderator Note; implied profanity edited

Tobers
Punch Card
Views: 7,088
Message 4 of 17

I think the one you are referring to is the "Broadcom Bluetooth Controller - Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over URT BUS Enumerator" which I have got installed.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,082
Message 5 of 17

Just a thought, but what happens if you uninstall it, and go back to the Lenovo driver?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS033065

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Tobers
Punch Card
Views: 7,068
Message 6 of 17

Uninstalled - no change unfortunately. It works fine after booting up, but bluetooth is fubar after coming out of standby.

tjhb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,026
Message 7 of 17

I have related issues—my bluetooth issue not as bad as yours; also a graphics failure (on each resume).

I am likewise on BIOS 1.31 (I notice there's a stub for version 1.32 on the drivers page; no link yet).

I posted in the Windows 8.1 subforum here.

tjhb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,015
Message 8 of 17

...And added an update in that thread.

I seem to have found a fix (at least for me) for the bluetooth issues.—Or rather, Lenovo may have integrated a fix in two packages which I had not installed.

Tobers
Punch Card
Views: 6,966
Message 9 of 17

Thanks. I think mine is a different problem to yours though.

The issue I am having is that, on wakeup from sleep the bluetooth capability on my TPT2 crashes completely, even to the point where doing Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and Devices > Bluetooth freezes with a white screen for about 10 secs before crashing back to the start screen.

Bluetooth works fine from a cold boot.

It is only failing when coming out of standby.

Tobers
Punch Card
Views: 6,954
Message 10 of 17

Just looking at my bluetooth drivers in Device Manager. They are all listed as Microsoft supplied, dated 2006 which doesnt look right to me.

It would be v.helpful if someone could confirm which Bluetooth drivers my TPT2 should be running and I'll give them a go.

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors