Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

08-17-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 3rd Gen Keyboard disconnects when raised

2019-08-17, 18:32 PM
Hi, I just started getting a problem with my X1 3rd Gen tablet's keyboard today. It works fine when it lays flat. But now, whenever I raise it, it disconnects (software, not physically) as soon as the magnet begins to engage. The pins are clean and the connection seems solid. I made sure everything's up to date in Lenovo Vantage. And I can rule out a Windows bug because I use BitLocker with a PIN which has to be entered at boot time, and the problem is also present at that early stage. Any ideas? I'm barely 2 months out of warranty... :-/ Thanks!
Options

7 Posts

08-17-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 3rd Gen Keyboard disconnects when raised

2019-08-19, 21:10 PM
I shouldn't have described this as a software disconnection -- what I meant is that the disconnection occurs without physically separating the keyboard from the tablet, and the software indicates the keyboard was disconnected. My hypothesis is that there's a flexible flat cable that's worn out such that the copper touches when the keyboard is flat, but doesn't when the folio folds into the keyboard-raised position. If that turns out to be the case, it's very disappointing that it only lasted 14 months. :( Any advice or other ideas? Thanks!
Options

1 Posts

08-22-2019

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

1 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 3 of 7

2019-08-22, 5:08 AM

So am I. Now the keyboard cannot be detected even when laying flat!

Options

4 Posts

12-11-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-08-27, 1:53 AM

I'm having the exact same issue with my X13 tablet. I just noticed it yesterday. When I lay the keyboard flat, it works fine. But if I put it to the raise position, the tablet stops recognizing that it's attached. From the defective screen, to the defective battery that I had replaced earlier this year, I'm just losing faith in this product day by day. I haven't even had it a year yet, and I've already had more issues with this device than I had with my previous three laptops spanning back nearly 10 years. Ironically, this is the most expensive of all those devices I've owned. 

Options

7 Posts

08-17-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-08-27, 2:01 AM
I gave in and bought a replacement keyboard, which works fine. (Thankfully I found one on eBay for a fraction of what Lenovo charges for them.) I wonder if the pulling on the keyboard when detaching it caused gradual damage to the flat flexible cable? Anyhow, I guess I'll have to treat it more gently... seems like a top-tier product should be more durable, but oh well, huh?
Options

10 Posts

10-15-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-09-07, 22:59 PM

Unfortunately it is most likely a HARDWARE issue. My keyboard stopped functioning altogether without any issue invovled. Taking it to the lab, came up with the answer that the contact pins had some problem - and was replaced as I had extended warranty. That's it - there is a greater wear and tear on the keyboard POGO CONTACT PINS and if one does not have a warranty, one is in a risk of spending on replacing keyboards!

Options

3 Posts

04-01-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:X1 3rd Gen Keyboard disconnects when raised

2020-08-07, 15:27 PM

I have exactly the same problem and this happened after update to BIOS 1.40 and the new UltraNav 19.4.14.30. System type 20KK. Warranty period Sept 2018-2019. Therefore <2 years old.

The keyboard was working fine until 11am, when I updated the BIOS, and then afterwards it became faulty.

To be clear:

• the keyboard functions perfectly when flat
  • as you move the keyboard even a small amount towards the upright position, the illumination stops and the keyboard is registered as detached,
  • there is no physical damage to the keyboard
  • the same scenario is true in the BIOS

Can anyone confirm if the device normally registers a difference between the keyboard being flat and being inclined? My experience makes this look like a firmware/software issue rather than a hardware problem and if this is the case I am even more loathe to shell out for a replacement.

This is a huge frustration.

Having been told by support (via WhatsApp) that the problem was probably the pogo pins, I've been quoted £130 to repair the keyboard. 

Lenovo don't list a replacement on their website and it is near to impossible to buy replacement UK layout keyboards.

I would be interested to know how common this is: obviously there are a few and this is not a high volume product.

---------edit-------------

I have just spoken to Lenovo support again and they actually think the likely problem is the pogo board within the tablet section itself.

The replacement process is here.

I'm not sure this is the fix since the keyboard disconnects with no physical movement of the pogo connectors. It seems as if it is movement specifically within the hinge.

Others on this thread have fixed the issue with a new keyboard.

Has anyone had to replace the pogo pin board within the tablet unit?

I have to gamble: either buy a new keyboard and it may be the pogo board, or send the device to Lenovo, get charged £48 for the cost of inspection.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms