Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

08-22-2018

United States of America

34 Signins

310 Page Views

• Views: 310
  • Message 121 of 351

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2019-01-23, 21:37 PM

That is great news Heluca. I am currently waiting on my second repair. As you say, first repaired screen showed scuffs after a couple of weeks. However, when I first bought the machine it took a couple of months to show marks (they then extended rapidly).

Will report back soon - no news from Lenovo yet

Options

4 Posts

01-24-2019

Canada

13 Signins

236 Page Views

• Views: 236
  • Message 122 of 351

2019-01-24, 1:24 AM

Lenovo is having a sale right now.  I'm really on the fence.  Should I wait for Lenovo to resolve this problem?  Are all models affected?  Is there a date by which damaged screens were shipped?  Should I just bite it and buy a screen protector?

Options

8 Posts

10-22-2018

Thailand

12 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 123 of 351

2019-01-24, 1:30 AM

I would not. They have a really bad history of screwing things up on this model (I’ve had weird bugs still not resolved). I’d buy a Surface instead. 

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Views: 1318
  • Message 124 of 351

2019-01-24, 3:27 AM

I've had the original Surface Pro, two SP3s and one SP4. They've had their own problems, but mostly associated with the OS and not hardware. However, for me - and what keeps bringing me back to Lenovo and ThinkPads specifically - it's the keyboard, the keyboard, the keyboard.

I'm going to buy one off the outlet when I see the right deal, verify the panel is the model LP130QP1-SPA1 that fixes the problem, throw a Boxwave screen protector on it and go from there.

Historically speaking, twenty-seven years and thirty-one machines later after my first machine, I've had hardware and support problems with each of Dell, Lenovo, HP and Microsquish. Empirics over the past three decades, though, says - on the whole - hardware quality and customer service support Lenovo gets the nod.

Options

4 Posts

01-24-2019

Canada

13 Signins

236 Page Views

• Message 125 of 351

2019-01-24, 3:55 AM

It's on sale right now. How can they verify new shipments have the FIXED LP130QP1-SPA1 panel?

Options

14 Posts

01-06-2019

Poland

10 Signins

166 Page Views

• Views: 166
  • Message 126 of 351

2019-01-24, 6:45 AM

To date from reading on here

1. Lenovo have not accepted blame but have replaced panels due to this issue.

2. Lenovo have not provided anyone with details on which model numbers and batch numbers have fixed the issue or if they have fixed the issue at all

3. No details from Lenovo on what the issue was from LG

Note, mine has the same issue and is P/N# LP130QP1-SPA1

I would suspect that Lenevo get these delivered in batches and probably the P/N doesnt change between batch numbers (and/or serial numbers). As such there is no way of telling if your computer is using a screen from a batch they had in stock before (of if they even have) rectified the issue.

A quick search on Aliexpress see's that the panel is worth about $50.

Brett

Options

4 Posts

01-24-2019

Canada

13 Signins

236 Page Views

• Message 127 of 351

2019-01-24, 17:38 PM

A screen protector is a temporary fix until Lenovo offers a solution.  But the Boxwave screen protector has very bad reviews on amazon.  Camera and fingerprint cut outs are not included.  You have to request a custom cut.  What?

Options

31 Posts

12-23-2014

United States of America

130 Signins

1032 Page Views

• Views: 1032
  • Message 128 of 351

2019-01-24, 19:27 PM

Hey Folks,

Lenovo, in my opinion, must acknowledge and remediate this fundamental defect.  Unequivocally. 

That said, and until we get a loud enough voice, for those who have new and/or as-yet undamaged screens, I can identify a couple of screen protectors that I have used personally.  No, this isn't the right solution--Lenovo fixing the flaw is the right solution--but protecting my own screen from Lenovo's own defect seemed to be the best action for me. 

I'm not recommending an aftermarket screen protector one way of the other; this is all my own opinion and experience; I have no affiliation with BoxWave or schutzfolien24.de; an aftermarket screen protector may void your warranty; proceed at your own risk.

1. I can personally verify that the Boxwave screen protector (at least the anti-glare version) does indeed have sufficient cut outs:  It has four circles at the top (IR camera, ambient light sensor, front camera and camera status indicator), "notches" on both sides for the speakers and a cutout for the fingerprint scanner.  In my experience all the top-of-screen functions (IR Camera, regular camera, camera indicator LED, IR camera LEDs, mics, etc.) all worked fine with the screen protector.  It was a good product--in MY opinion...YMMV.  (If I recall correctly, I think the fingerprint scanner cutout was a tiny bit off.)  The protector was a litttle too matte for my taste, and my artsy daughter didn't like the pen feel (too much stiction, she said--she's a Physics major), so I installed the BroTect "AirGlass" protector.  At the time I ordered this product, it was the only glass protector on the market I could find.

2. So far, the BroTect screen protector seems to be excellent (in my opinion).  Like the BoxWave, it has all the necessary cutouts* and in slightly more accurate alignment, and, as with the BoxWave, all the tablet functions seem to work fine with the protector.  (*Oddly, while it has a cutout for the lefthand IR camera LED, and one for the righthand IR camera LED, they're different sizes, and there's NO cutout for the actual IR camera.  Go figure.  Again, everything works fine.)  The BroTect I installed is the clear version, and it appears to be every bit as clear as the OEM screen.  My X1 is a giant reflector now, but it was without the protector too.

FYI, I had to order my BroTect direclty from the supplier (manufacturer?) in Germany.  It took a good 15 business days to the US and is shipped in a pretty flimsy shipping envelope.  The package was pretty bent up, but the protector was not damaged.  It did, however, have a pretty good 4" radius bend in it.  I rolled it up (with an opposite radius) in the packaging (two sheets of thin cardboard) for about three days and that got it back to almost dead flat.  I've been using it for a week so far, and it has not lifted from the tablet screen.

Best of luck, everyone!

Options

20 Posts

12-01-2018

United States of America

34 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 129 of 351

2019-01-26, 19:10 PM

OK so after looking into screen protectors, I got overexcited and bought this tablet. Got the tablet, and after a single day of use, literally one day, while waiting on the protector (which took longer to arrive), the tablet got two scuffs on the screen. One of the scuffs _isn't even on the actual screen_, it's on the front bezel just below the screen. The same AR coating is everywhere on the front face of the device, so it can scuff anywhere. That pretty much proves it's their own defective design and not the pen. I did test the pen and have no scuffs where I used it. 90% sure this comes from the keyboard. They didn't recess the keys enough, plain and simple. This product is defective, no doubt about it. I've never seen this kind of shoddy quality on any electronic device I've owned, phone or tablet alike.

The other scuff is in the upper right, on top of the screen, but luckily it isn't too noticeable. So, I got the Brotect screen protector and was excited to put it on and put any issues like this to bed. The good news is that the protector has no effect on touch or pen sensitivity. It might as well not be there.

The bad news is the protector substantially diminishes the quality of the display, at least for me. First it reduces the contrast by a very noticeable amount. Last night I found myself squinting at the screen, while, with it off, I didn't have to squint at all and was previously impressed with the very high quality of the picture. I have to turn the brightness up a few notches from where it was without the protector. Second, it reduces the image quality ever so slightly, and viewing angles are reduced, with a very faint "rainbow" effect coming at extreme angles. Finally, the worst part is, this thing is now a mirror, almost unbearably so (see pic). I suspect this increase in glare is responsible for the decrease in contrast. It's actually very bad. So bad that, in a completely dark room, the tablet screen's own light reflects off of me, back onto the tablet, and back into my eyes. You cannot actually just go somewhere dark and reduce the glare. The tablet is a source of its own glare, which, to be honest with myself, is just insane. I'm getting ready to take off the projector and risk it. I may try another one like the boxwave.

Just putting this out there: if you're a perfectionist like me, you are not going to be able to fix this defective product with a screen protector, sadly.

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Views: 1318
  • Message 130 of 351

2019-01-26, 23:24 PM

Ah, then this latest news made the right decision that was staring  me in the face. Unboxed my five month old HP Spectre x360 13T (i78550u, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 13.3" 4K LCD, 2.78#) that was my X1 Extreme's predecessor and going to run with that for travel, will keep both machines.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms