Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Views: 1318
  • Message 261 of 348

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2019-06-10, 21:05 PM

I did 5HS protector, mentioning your e-mail contact and this thread both. Chat support person brought it right up, gave me the dimensions and the link to custom cut, ordered it right up - $33.60.

Also have the atfolix FX-Antireflex-HD coming as well so will compare, contrast as these two appear to be the best so far and will go with the one that I like better, follow up when I try both.

Last, but not least, also ordered this and have it on the way as well - Activ Pack folio protective case for ThinkPad X1 Tablet (3rd gen)

Don't bother with the Lenovo 4X40Q62112 ThinkPad X1 Tablet Gen 3 Protector Case. It blows worse than the screen coating on these machines.

Options

43 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

74 Signins

536 Page Views

• Views: 536
  • Message 262 of 348

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen Protector

2019-06-10, 21:19 PM

wrote:

I opted for the IR Facial Recognition sensors on my X1T3. Do you know if the Photodon screen protector will interfere with this function, or is there an opening in the screen protector for these sensors?

The sheer number of little holes (6) you need for all these functions (on top of the two speaker holes and fingerprint sensor hole) is why I gave up trying to design a custom Photodon protector.  The FX does all these perfectly.  Hopefully MtnMike's Photodon design included all the holes.

Options

13 Posts

11-29-2014

Canada

44 Signins

408 Page Views

• Views: 408
  • Message 263 of 348

2019-06-10, 21:36 PM

pelujan,

Awaiting your comparison between the two screen protectors before I make the decision.

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 264 of 348

2019-06-12, 12:32 PM

Photodon shipped next day from order, set to arrive Friday. atfolix is looking like the better part of four weeks.

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 265 of 348

2019-06-15, 16:34 PM

Photodon by TKO, reason being atfolix sent me a screen protector for an X1C 5th gen even though my order very specifically states 'X1 Tablet 3rd Gen.' That being said, the photodon comes with:

• 1 oz anti-scratch cleaner
  • One Staticide - Anti-Static Wipe
  • Two 7" x 6" Silky Microfiber cloths
  • One squeegee
  • One Dust Removal foam tape

and instructions for the care of the cloths. I only needed the cleaner to clean my screen before laying down the protector and the squeegee once I had it positioned correctly. Got all air bubbles out no problem and fit is spot on.

The protector itself comes in a "sandwich" with an outer liner and a back liner (both clearly labeled) for laying down the protector, peeling it off. It's a perfect fit and as I've done this (screen protectors, carbon fiber skins) on multiple ThinkPad and Surface Pro machines this application was the easiest, best yet.

Definitely an instance of "you get what you pay for," but even though atfolix sent the wrong protector I did look at their contents and protector both - one liner, one squeegee, one cloth, no cleaner(s).

The photodon has two thin cutouts on the bottom left and right for the thin rubber bumpers when the screen's folded down, one on the center right for the fingerprint reader, then a large .5" x 3" cutout across the top center to leave all the sensors (NFC touchpoint, IR camera, front camera and status indicator, amblient light sensor, microphone) exposed.

Fit is perfect, only (very) minor flaw I find which I know can drive some nuts is with the matte finish there is a little bit of 'glittter, sparkle' when the brightness is turned all the way up, but speaking only for myself I don't mind and, more importantly, I'd rather have that than the coating wearing off in spots.

No impact to touch, including annotating in Drawboard PDF which I do a lot of. All in all, very pleased with this protector - fit, cutouts, application all.

Here's the URL for Photodon's custom protectors' ordering - Custom Screen Protectors. Dimensions are 298x220mm, you do specify your machine make and model and you also have a couple of other options for film type (again, I did 5HS), corner radius and device drawing (if you choose).

This protector along with the folio case I have coming from Mobilis and I think I have a very solid, well protected road machine. With the keyboard I'd take this X1 Tablet 3rd Gen now over any Surface Pro 3 or 4 I've previously owned.

Cheers, P

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 266 of 348

2019-06-15, 16:43 PM

Photodon by TKO, reason being atfolix sent me a screen protector for an X1C 5th gen even though my order very specifically states 'X1 Tablet 3rd Gen.' That being said, the photodon comes with:

• 1 oz anti-scratch cleaner
  • One Staticide - Anti-Static Wipe
  • Two 7" x 6" Silky Microfiber cloths
  • One squeegee
  • One Dust Removal foam tape

and instructions for the care of the cloths. I only needed the cleaner to clean my screen before laying down the protector and the squeegee once I had it positioned correctly. Got all air bubbles out no problem and fit is spot on.

The protector itself comes in a "sandwich" with an outer liner and a back liner (both clearly labeled) for laying down the protector, peeling it off. It's a perfect fit and as I've done this (screen protectors, carbon fiber skins) on multiple ThinkPad and Surface Pro machines this application was the easiest, best yet.

Definitely an instance of "you get what you pay for," but even though atfolix sent the wrong protector I did look at their contents and protector both - one liner, one squeegee, one cloth, no cleaner(s).

The photodon has two thin cutouts on the bottom left and right for the thin rubber bumpers when the screen's folded down, one on the center right for the fingerprint reader, then a large .5" x 3" cutout across the top center to leave all the sensors (NFC touchpoint, IR camera, front camera and status indicator, amblient light sensor, microphone) exposed.

Fit is perfect, only (very) minor flaw I find which I know can drive some nuts is with the matte finish there is a little bit of 'glittter, sparkle' when the brightness is turned all the way up, but speaking only for myself I don't mind and, more importantly, I'd rather have that than the coating wearing off in spots.

No impact to touch, including annotating in Drawboard PDF which I do a lot of. All in all, very pleased with this protector - fit, cutouts, application all.

Here's the URL for Photodon's custom protectors' ordering - Custom Screen Protectors. Dimensions are 298x220mm, you do specify your machine make and model and you also have a couple of other options for film type (again, I did 5HS), corner radius and device drawing (if you choose).

This protector along with the folio case I have coming from Mobilis and I think I have a very solid, well protected road machine. With the keyboard I'd take this X1 Tablet 3rd Gen now over any Surface Pro 3 or 4 I've previously owned.

Cheers, P

Options

20 Posts

12-09-2015

United States of America

27 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 267 of 348

2019-06-15, 17:25 PM
@MtnMike Sounds like you have a lot of experience installing screen protectors, so please allow me to pick your brain. What's a good installation in your opinion? I installed a BoxWeave, and it looks 95% okay as long as the screen is on. When the screen is off, it's pretty nasty. There are a dozen or so microscopic dust particles, and the bottom edge refuses to adhere. I'm curious about your experience. Thanks so much for your time!
Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 268 of 348

2019-06-15, 18:05 PM

1 oz anti-scratch cleaner
    One Staticide - Anti-Static Wipe
    Two 7" x 6" Silky Microfiber cloths
    One squeegee
    One Dust Removal foam tape

Cheers, P

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 269 of 348

2019-06-15, 18:28 PM

One squeegee

Cheers, P

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 270 of 348

2019-06-15, 19:22 PM

One squeegee

Cheers, P

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms