Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Views: 616
  • Message 271 of 351

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2019-06-16, 0:07 AM

Photodon by TKO, reason being atfolix sent me a screen protector for an X1C 5th gen even though my order very specifically states 'X1 Tablet 3rd Gen.'

That's too bad, especially since it takes so long for the protectors to ship from Germany.  You should make sure they send you a replacement.

Definitely an instance of "you get what you pay for," but even though atfolix sent the wrong protector I did look at their contents and protector both - one liner, one squeegee, one cloth, no cleaner(s).

I'm not sure you can draw the "what you pay for" conclusion from a shipping mistake, but I understand your frustration with the atfolix.

My atfolix also came with a dust-removal tape, but I find these essentially useless. The Photodon cloths are better than the atfolix one, but honestly really good microfiber cloths are widely available and cheap and a good investment. For cleaning solution, you can use the usual mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water.  (Of course, once the screen protector is on you can use more aggressive cleaners; over the years I've used whatever is handy on my protected screens.)

The photodon has two thin cutouts on the bottom left and right for the thin rubber bumpers when the screen's folded down, one on the center right for the fingerprint reader, then a large .5" x 3" cutout across the top center to leave all the sensors (NFC touchpoint, IR camera, front camera and status indicator, amblient light sensor, microphone) exposed.

My atfolix has 6 (perfect) small holes instead of a top cutout for the cameras etc. While this is impressive, it is probably not better functionally than having a single cutout.

Fit is perfect, only (very) minor flaw I find which I know can drive some nuts is with the matte finish there is a little bit of 'glittter, sparkle'

I mention this with my atfolix. It should be better with Photodon's thinner and smoother MXH25% (which is what I have on my older machines, and doesn't have this effect there).

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Views: 1318
  • Message 272 of 351

2019-06-17, 1:18 AM
  1. "You get what you pay for" was based upon contents of the package, instructions, the protector having a back and front liner, how well, easily I was able to remove bubbles with the little felt-liner edge on the squeegee.
  2. Microfiber cloths I snag at conferences all the time. Have plenty, was just listing the contents of what was sent.
  3. I use Safety Director anti-static, anti-fog lens wipes on all my screens.
  4. Went with 5HS over MXH25 as I want the extra protection. Glitter is only on all white backgrounds at high brightness, doesn't bother me.
Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Views: 616
  • Message 273 of 351

2019-06-17, 9:31 AM

FWIW my atfolix (and every other screen protector I've ever seen) does come with a liner on both sides. If the one they shipped to you only had film on one side, that is strange.

In any event, please let us know how they are on customer service for the return. While my own experience with both is that the Photodon quality seems better, and I can certainly vouch for its durability, the "correct" atfolix is pretty decent, and so much cheaper than the Photodon that it might be the best option for cash-strapped tablet owners (or owners in the EU where ordering from Germany might be easier than ordering from the US).

Options

20 Posts

12-01-2018

United States of America

34 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 274 of 351

2019-06-17, 18:11 PM

Hey all, good news. Photodon has an SKU for this now! 3124-01

I'm going for the 25% matte. Sounds like it will be an improvement over the brotect I just couldn't live with earlier: cutting the glare of the reflector itself to keep contrast high but not so much matte that it ruins the sharpness or results in sparkle. we'll see.

Options

20 Posts

12-09-2015

United States of America

27 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 275 of 351

2019-06-17, 20:13 PM

Here's the link to order at Photodon 

https://www.photodon.com/p/3124-01.html

(I have no interest in Photodon and also about to place my first order.) 

Options

31 Posts

12-23-2014

United States of America

130 Signins

1032 Page Views

• Views: 1032
  • Message 276 of 351

2019-06-17, 22:06 PM

Hey Folks,

I just looked at Photodon's picture for the protector for the X1T3 (and read pelujan's review) and it is not what they made for me.  Curious about the design change I called their technical guy (Dave, super-nice guy!) and he explained they've made an engineering decision to use notches instead of holes to make it easier to get a good application with less required alignment precision.  A reasonable decision, in my opinion.  The holes they cut in my protector were very accurate (see attached picture), but I can see how a large notch would be easier to align.

If you don't like the notch version, Dave said they will cut you a circle style protector (same as they made for me).  Order the notch style (3124-01) and add a comment on the order form that you want the circle style cutouts instead of the notch cutouts.

Incidentally, I also asked Dave to change the size of the second hole so it matches the first hole.  (I'm numbering the holes with the screen upright, numbered from left to right--see attached photo.)  I have no idea why, but the template protector I sent them has the second hole larger than the first, even though the sensor size is the same in both locations.  Go figure.  Dave said he will make this change in the stored template so future protectors made using the circle style will have the new hole size. 

We're also looking at changing the shape of the hole for the fingerprint reader.  I'm hoping to get the hole the same shape as the actual button.  Again, see attached image--the red outline shows the shape the hole should be.

Don't judge the hole alignment accuracy in these photos too harshly.  I did a pretty good job aligning the protector, but it's not perfect and sits a little low on the screen.  As a result the cutouts look like they're off, but I think if I had perfect screen edge alignment, the holes would be better aligned.  

Most of these issues are moot if you are good with the notch style.  I like the precision hole style, but it is more difficult to get a perfect application with the higher tolerances necessitated by the holes.

(Sorry to have been silent for so many days.  I had my Scout troop at summer camp all last week and was enjoying the lack of voice and data services.  :smileyhappy:)

Options

20 Posts

12-09-2015

United States of America

27 Signins

312 Page Views

• Message 277 of 351

2019-06-17, 22:17 PM

I just ordered one  Should I call and ask for one with holes? Aside from alignment issues, what are the benefits of the holes? Why your preference? Thanks so much!! Kudos for Scouts by the way 

Options

31 Posts

12-23-2014

United States of America

130 Signins

1032 Page Views

• Views: 1032
  • Message 278 of 351

2019-06-17, 22:23 PM

Hey DoGood,

(Thanks...I enjoy Scouting.  Oldest son just completed his Eagle Project and youngest son just got Life rank.  Hope to have two more Eagles in the family by year end.)

The whole notch vs. hole debate is tricky.  I like the hole style because it just looks more finished to me, but the notch version seems  every bit as good and provides the necessary protection.  It's just an aesthetics kind of thing...pure personal preference.  I'm going to order one protector with the notches and one more with the updated hole size/shape.  I might like the notch style better after I try it.

When I get the new versions I'll post pictures and thoughts.

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Views: 1318
  • Message 279 of 351

2019-06-18, 13:57 PM

I always bring it down on the top edge at about a forty-five degree angle in very bright amblient light (usually in the morning) and look at the alignent on the top left and right corners as I bring it down over the holes. With the Photodon I gave up on peeling it back a little at a time and just peeled it all off, then did the angle and lay down thing.

Options

20 Posts

12-09-2015

United States of America

27 Signins

312 Page Views

• Message 280 of 351

2019-06-18, 14:08 PM
I followed your lead, @MtnMike and ordered two from Photodon, one standard, and one w/ the custom hole cut. I'm so bad at installing larger screen protectors, I probably should have stuck with the standard. Thanks so much for posting your experiences everyone!! Super helpful for the rest of us. Cheers
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms