Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

12-21-2018

United States of America

22 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 321 of 349

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2020-02-08, 13:05 PM

HI.

Just an update:

Yesterday, I received my x1 back from having its 3rd screen replaced under warranty.

Yes, this is the 4th screen and the first three were all replaced for the same problem - coating peel.  And the last screen developed unusually bright pixel groups in two locations.

I never travel with my x1. It always sits on my side table next to my couch.  There is absolutley no way that I caused any of the peeling on the screen. I haven't even used the touch screen after the third repleacement!

I just bought one of those photodon protectors so we'll see how it holds up then.

Fortunatley, I bought the two year warranty and have until November, 2020.

I really do like the device and have no other issues with it.

Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6225 Signins

23927 Page Views

• Views: 23927
  • Message 322 of 349

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2020-02-08, 13:43 PM

wrote:

HI.

Just an update:

Yesterday, I received my x1 back from having its 3rd screen replaced under warranty.

I just bought one of those photodon protectors so we'll see how it holds up then.

Fortunatley, I bought the two year warranty and have until November, 2020.

I really do like the device and have no other issues with it.

Great to hear that they're (still) covering this under warranty, at least for some! I also just upgraded my warranty to ease my mind. I even went as far as getting the accidental damage protection. I figure the least that does is improve the resale value! :) I also like the machine despite the shortish battery life. Shame they never made a gen 4!

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

56 Signins

335 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 335
  • Message 323 of 349

Re:X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2021-02-21, 9:42 AM

Hi all..
I know this thread has been dead for a while but since I have one of these problem machines I thought I would post up.
Have had the machine since November 2018, purchased with international warranty extension until November 2021.
I've had the screen issues since early days but since I mostly use it closed on desk attached to TB3 expansion it didn't bother me too much.
Last June I needed a mobo replacement due to the TB3 firmware corruption issue, replacement went fine. I did at the time mention "my screen is damaged by the keyboard" but it wasn't the main cause of my onsite callout and they called me back to say it wasn't covered. I now know to push properly, thanks to this thread :)
You can find an attached pic of the damage - after over 2 years with that keyboard on most of the time, the coating is gone in varying amounts opposite just about EVERY key, the worst being opposite trackpad keys like everyone else.
So, why post now? Sadly, my fingerprint reader has packed in, and seems during the mobo replacement TIM wasn't applied correctly and my CPU instantly hits PROCHOT 97° limit on load. Also, my fan only seems to want to crank to half speed now.. For these issues I've opened a new support case, with 8 months left on my warranty.
I will of course want all the problems fixing, so I'll keep you posted. It may be that given the extent of the repairs and the age of the machine, they may choose to replace with something else. 
I'll keep you posted, thanks for this thread and the excellent progress at least on screen protectors - assuming I fix this unit, including the newer less abrasive keyboard, I'll be grabbing a PhotoDon.
All the best

Joseph L 

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

50 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

81 Signins

586 Page Views

• Views: 586
  • Message 324 of 349

2021-02-21, 11:26 AM

It's a good thing you have the long warranty!  I hope they get your heating issues dealt with.

I meant to extend my warranty to 3 years, but the deadline to extend happened while I was out of the country, and the pandemic screwed up my sense of time. 

About a week after my warranty expired, my keyboard gave up the ghost (the usual thing).  Fortunately, right at that moment the replacement keyboards were on sale deeply discounted, and while I was at it I bought one of the bluetooth trackpoint keyboards and now use that as my main keyboard so as not to stress the new attachable one.  (Of course, it also gives me a thinkpad-style keyboard I can use with any machine.)

I've always put a screen protector on new Thinkpads first thing, going back decades.  The inexpensive one on my tablet is still holding up, but it doesn't give me the writing feel  of the Photodons on my X201t and X61t.   The felt-tip stylus nibs I had for my older thinkpads give a writing feel I haven't been able to reproduce on this screen, even with the Wacom Bamboo Ink stylus (which I do prefer to the one that came with the machine).  I don't know how much of that is the stylus, and how much the Photodon.

My tablet gets hauled around a lot, and is showing some wear and tear, for example the paint is peeling from the sides and the edges of the kickstand.  Lenovo seems to be discontinuing the line, which is too bad; for all its faults, this has been a pretty good machine for me, I don't know what I would replace it with.

Options

20 Posts

12-01-2018

United States of America

34 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 325 of 349

2021-02-21, 13:44 PM

At this point I'm convinced the ONLY good thing about Lenovo machines is the keyboard. That's it. This device has been very shoddy otherwise, tbh. In addition to the screen scratching issue which i solved with the photodon, mine has hot spots on the screen in 3 places now. When the screen is white, you can see it's sharply brighter in some places. This is likely due to the diffuser inside being creased or peaked behind the screen. Seems like such a problem could arise with a super thin device like this, ok. Yet, I've had galaxy tablets much thinner never saw this issue.

Actually, Lenovo is the first product I've ever seen this problem with. I would be somewhat understanding of it weren't for the "military robustness" advertising they did back when they were selling it. Part of the reason i bought it. It leads one to believe that perhaps a simple issue like this wouldn't show up with normal use.

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

56 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 326 of 349

2021-02-23, 19:26 PM

Argh hate it when stuff obviously conks out right after warranty expires, typically annoying, my sympathies..

I'm not surprised Lenovo did not renew this product line, that 3rd Gen was last Gen.
Given the endless problems with these screens, the fingerprint module, the overheating and repasting problems of the i7 models, and the TB3 firmware debacle across almost their entire range, the ROI for the product line must have been a disaster. And that's before the disappointing below-marketed battery performance every user endured....

They were briefly desirable most notably for their TB3 port, seems many bought them for that, but then other manufacturers more capable in this format caught up.
Thinking MS obviously, amongst others that also do a great job with current tech in tablet format.
This just isn't Lenovo's A-game..

Anyhow, CLFT9PR BB case number is now open.
They have attempted to fob me off with a return to base 5-8 days repair, which given my onsite global warranty is just not acceptable, can't afford the downtime. 
I have told them to either comply with my contractual warranty and come fix it  (again, after the TB3 mobo disaster killed mine), send me a temporary loaner while they take it away, or provide a permanent replacement of equivalent or higher spec and take this particular one out of circulation permamently. I think the last option would be cheaper for them tbh, I still have 8 months left on my 3yrs contract, and I plan to extend ad infinitum if I can, since this model is a total disaster. I said I'd take an equivalent spec Yoga if they have one, since that model is more or less the same thing but with all the heat and fans and bits separate.
Strangely, like many, I think I'd still miss this ol' girl :)

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

56 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 327 of 349

2021-02-23, 21:38 PM

@ Fbwsol wrote:

Joseph L 

Just to add an even better photo of the damage, machine bought November 2018 never touched by a stylus, hardly ever with fingers even. Mostly lives on the desktop connected to Lenovo TB3 Dock (which is fantastic) and a 2080ti eGPU XG-Station Pro (which is godlike.).. i.e. mollycoddled 95% of its life..

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

56 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 328 of 349

2021-02-23, 21:49 PM

FYI having bought 3 years on-site as well as 3-year sealed battery, ADP and international extensions when I bought this Nov 2018, this is what my warranty cost at purchase:

and what my options look like today:

Given the extensive issues, extending if they do repair rather than replace will be a no-brainer, at least for a year.

Last year - mobo
Current - fingerprint reader, re-paste, screen, keyboard....

That's pretty much 80% of the machine, all but SSD, batteries, ports and chassis. Oh, yeah, still got the pen  🤷‍♂️😂

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

50 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

81 Signins

586 Page Views

• Views: 586
  • Message 329 of 349

2021-02-24, 0:13 AM

Some of this might be region-specific;  I had similar problems with customer "support" when I lived in England in the 1980s.

One advantage of being out of warranty is that I can do any needed repairs myself.  It probably wouldn't have helped with the keyboard (though I'm thinking of tearing it down to see if the faulty ribbon cable can be repaired with a bit of solder), but one advantage of the Thinkpads over other machines is that they are designed to be taken apart.

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

56 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 330 of 349

2021-02-24, 7:40 AM

About your keyboard, if they give me the newer version and leave me the old one I'm more than happy to send it to u if itll help.
It works fine, US version, just needs a new red rubber cap... Of course it's the first version that will absolutely take ur coating away 🤣

I'm actually in France, didn't set my region there since I want to do my reading in English ;)
It would be complicated by the fact I bought the machine in the US, on a pre-Black Friday deal, saved me 500-600€ compared to buying same spec here, but actually the international extension to the warranty has worked perfectly - it didn't cost much at all, and Lenovo is so globalised that their service systems can handle a "roaming" customer profile.
When I suffered the mobo issue last summer they were here within 48hrs and it was fixed in an hour. Counting my lucky stars...
Maybe now once all the major pieces have been renewed i'll give up the warranty, having watched the iFixIt teardown im less afraid to do it, it's not all that complex of a procedure... If they come to repaste here i have a tube of Grizzly Kryonaut on hand, ill ask them to put that in, otherwise the day I go off warranty that's the first thing I'll do... gotta tame the 8550U...

--- Long-time IT tamer
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms