Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Views: 616
  • Message 331 of 351

Re:X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2021-02-24, 10:37 AM
As I already bought a replacement keyboard, as well as a thinkpad bluetooth keyboard, I think I'm set in that regard. The surgery on the broken keyboard would really be just to satisfy my curiosity that if it can be fixed. As for warranty, I intended to buy the international extension, as I was working in Norway for half a year, I just somehow missed the last day I could upgrade. Hopefully any further problems I have will be within my skillset. Things like official firmware updates that kill the machine are worrying, of course; that means a whole new motherboard. There's a Japanese seller on Etsy who sells super-flat trackpoint caps for these machines, I don't much like the feel, but they are better from the rubbing POV. However, a screen protector is really the way to go.
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 340
  • Message 332 of 351

2021-02-24, 13:10 PM

Have my basket of Photodon MXH25 ready to check out if Lenovo support do decide to fix me up rather than buy me out 😂
I should threaten to extend my warranty every year for $99 and take a $500 screen replacement once a year 🤷‍♀️
Then again, I have ADP.... maybe something horrible will happen like dropping it from the top of a skyscraper, or an entire jug of water somehow being spilled over the top air inlets.... 🤔

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 333 of 351

2021-02-24, 19:48 PM

If you don't need the special attributes of the Photodon (for example, the exceptional writing surface), there are some good protectors available in the EU.  Mine is an atFolix from Germany, and has all 6 little holes (for the cameras and sensors) cut out perfectly.   If I was buying today, wasn't writing on mine, and wanted full clarity on the screen, I would probably get one of the glass ones from Dipos, also in Germany.

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Views: 1318
  • Message 334 of 351

2021-02-24, 20:11 PM

Replacement keyboard? My X1 is a little over two years old and I have semi-regular problems now with the touch pad, mouse cursor not working. Detach, re-attach, usually have to end up rebooting to get it working again, particularly clicking on links in the browser or having the mouse select a bunch of stuff I don't want while scrolling around.

That a problem others have had? Is it a known problem like the screen coating rubbing off? If so, can we hit up Lenovo on any recall?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 335 of 351

2021-02-24, 20:22 PM
@pelujan, there have been a couple of threads here about this. The usual reported failure is the keyboard becoming unresponsive in either the up or the down position, then eventually in both positions. (I haven't heard of flakiness symptoms like you describe). Lenovo support has claimed it was pogo pins failing, but actually it was the keyboard (because a replacement fixed the problem). The suspicion is that the flex cable in the keyboard is not robust enough for repeated flexing. It seems to be quite common, but I don't think there's a hope of a recall. I think we have to treat the detachable keyboard as a consumable. (Which is why I mainly use the bluetooth keyboard nowadays; other than the feet, the thing is built like a brick.)
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 336 of 351

2021-02-25, 10:22 AM

@pelujan yes the screen issue is the coating rubbing off as talked about in this whole thread. Feel free to read from the beginning.
If your device is under warranty, no problem (sometimes only after insisting...) getting the screen replaced, and often with replacement of the first keyboard model with the later one that doesnt touch the screen as much.
However, there is no "recall" from Lenovo for this screen, they simply put a new one exatly the same in again. Some users on this thread are on their 3rd or 4th screen. The long-term solution if you care is to put on a screen protector. This thread also covers many options for that, towards the later pages. Again, feel free to read...
As far as I know any keyboard problem, not related to this screen issue, that customers who have warranty have experienced, has been solved with a replacement keyboard without fuss. However not if out of warranty, with many customers having keyboard issue only after two years or less.
Basically, this device is great but fragile. Warranty was VERY much worth buying. If your device is still working OK but you don't have the Lenovo warranty, you might be able to get 3rd party warranty as device is still not so old.

Good luck.

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 337 of 351

2021-02-25, 22:49 PM

Pretty sure @pulujan was asking if the nonfunctioning keyboard issue was a common problem and merited a recall, and not talking about the screen at all.

I don't think that the tablet is an especially delicate machine, though the X series tends to have more problems because you are trying to do more on a smaller chassis.  I doubt Lenovo is the only company with screen coating degradation issues, since the panel is a commodity not made by them and must appear on competing models.  The keyboard rubbing issue might be Lenovo-specific, since they have deeper key throw than the competitors, as well as the protruding trackpoint.  They probably could have prevented both issues in the keyboard design by using the same technique vinyl record companies used to protect the grooves, namely a raised rim so that when one record drops on another in a changer only the rims make contact.  This would have made the resulting device a hair thinner, but probably worth it in the end.

Ultimately, this screen issue is minor compared to, say, the oozing screen problem with the X61t, as it can be solved with a protector.  Likewise the keyboard, though that is much more expensive.  My machine is losing its paint, and the usual solution to that (touch-up with blackboard paint) doesn't work because the magnesium alloy body is basically a nonstick surface, but that is a vanity issue.

Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 338 of 351

2021-02-26, 1:32 AM

@ d_r wrote:

Pretty sure @pulujan was asking if the nonfunctioning keyboard issue was a common problem and merited a recall, and not talking about the screen at all.

[snip]

Yep, been in this thread back to January of 2019 starting back on page 12. Just noted the comment about the keyboard and inquired as mine's been flaking out. Found four other threads up here talking about it and read up accordingly.

My screen's been fine ever since slapping a Photodon on it early on.

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 339 of 351

2021-02-26, 8:14 AM

OOOooops my bad, was up late not reading straight ;/ should have backed off a keyboard in that state :/
I didn't see any cases of the keyboard failing within standard warranty period, so my guess is they'll just try and use that excuse... 
I have no probs with my kb itself, apart from the rubbing part... Since I'm still in warranty I'm asking for the new keyboard along with the new screen.
It seems the keyboard model has indeed changed, nows it's a 02H1xx part.

Here is the "parts" history for the US keyboard:

So, I don't know if this revised part adresses the screen rubbing problem, or the pogo failure problem, or both, but hopefully I'll find out soon enough

Still waiting on Lenovo's response to my response to their request to send back to base despite my onsite coverage...

Will let you know...
J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

31 Posts

08-24-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1318 Page Views

• Message 340 of 351

2021-02-26, 17:20 PM

Thanks, based upon my own keyboard's behavior I'm interested in the POGO failure if one of those keyboards fixes the problem. I seldom detach so I think this is more likely a wear and tear problem on that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)