Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

55 Signins

335 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 335
  • Message 341 of 348

Re:X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

2021-02-26, 20:37 PM

All of them will "fix" the problem, when new, for sure... I suggest you contact Lenovo Support to find out what changes were made between the model revisions, to see if they changed something that would make yours last longer, but in the end nothing lasts forever...
The impression I got in this thread was that they had changed the gap between keys and screen between revisions, and this helped with the screen issue. They might have made a modification to the wiring of the pogo connector too, but only they would know that I think..
Good luck
J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

46 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

77 Signins

556 Page Views

• Views: 556
  • Message 342 of 348

2021-02-27, 2:08 AM

Well, I have two keyboards in front of me, the failed one that came with my machine a couple of years ago and the replacement I bought last fall (with a manufacture date of September 2020).  They are completely identical to the naked eye (and my cheap caliper), down the the model number written in in teeny tiny print on the 'pogo' ridge, TP00089K1.

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

55 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 343 of 348

2021-02-27, 8:09 AM

Interesting @d_r - by any chance do you still have access to the order for the second one, can you tell what the part number was that was ordered?
I'm wondering if the K1 number stays the same throughout the different revisions, as the number that represents the compatibility, and the other part number changes, such as the 02HLxxx series that is now being sold?
My original 2018 keyboard still with me with no issues (yet) has the same number too... I had a good root around there are no other numbers on the keyboard itself, so logically either they changed nothing but the ordering reference (which would be weird), or the K1 number stays constant and there's no way to tell which revision keyboard we have from the keyboard itself, or despite ordering September 2020 you were still sold an earlier revision, from stock...

Gonna be interesting either way  😁
Of course actually having some info on these numbers and revisions from Lenovo would be optimal. I think I'll bite the bullet and send them an email requesting the modifications between the apparent 3 different revisions, and how their numbering system works, but meanwhile your reply might shed some light.. :)

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

46 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

77 Signins

556 Page Views

• Message 344 of 348

2021-02-27, 9:16 AM
The part number in the invoice is 4Y40Q79249. Same PN as the one currently for sale at the website. The "instructions" and warranty information packed with the keyboard both list a PN of SP40Q62792 Based on my experience owning numerous Thinkpads over several decades, I think trying to glean meaningful information from Lenovo part numbers is not a useful endeavor. Even with FRU numbers. there are often several associated with the exact same part.
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

55 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 345 of 348

2021-02-27, 10:49 AM
🤦‍♂️
--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

55 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 346 of 348

2021-03-05, 13:30 PM

Hi! Is it me or are there some gremlins in Lenovo support servers at mo???

Lots of news and interesting info re keyboards :)...

Lenovo agreed to fix my screen and replace my keyboard with the latest iteration, 02HLxxx series, under warranty, as well as address my nonfunctional fingerprint reader.
I had already fixed the massive thermal issues myself last week, that’s a matter for a fresh thread..

So this morning I had a visit from on-site support. Same guy that did my mobo replacement here last June after the TB3 firmware crapout disaster. 
He came with a fresh panel, same model as before as we all know and expect, new keyboard and new FPR.

First point of interest is that the real model number of keyboards actually is on them - it’s over on the right hand side, and it’s absolutely TINY 😂 

Here are the old and new keyboard PN’s:

So far, so good, it’s a different number :)

Now, here are the two flat on table side by side:

you can clearly see that the one on the right (new) 02HL150 is very slightly thicker than the old 01AW830.

It also feels a little heavier and sturdier.

Without precise callipers on hand, I was not able to measure the depth of the keys from the level, i.e. whether or not the keys now will not touch the screen. But it’s 100% sure deeper as a whole unit, and definitely sturdier, so that’s a good sign.

I also cannot determine if this keyboard has any incidence on the POGO issue, as I hadn’t yet developed that problem.

this is, however, the third keyboard part they have made for the tablet, so maybe they also improved or fixed that issue along the way.

I will be doing a carbon paper test between new screen and new keyboard to identify any touch points later when I can grab a large enough sheet - If someone has a bright idea how to test this without dirtying up my fresh new parts before then lmk! ;)

Unfortunately, my other problems could not be resolved here today, I’m going to need another system board as it seems the one that went in last June was a bit of a 🍋. 
As a result, I’m not 100% sure they will repair this unit - they might swap me out for something else, to be frank I told them I’d happily take a Yoga instead, or even a Carbon, since this tablet has ongoing issues.. 

Whether they go for a fix or a replace, either way I will test key stand-off and report back.

If it’s a fix then I’ll be ordering my screen protector - if I’m stuck with the unit I’d rather spend 25 on a serious protector than have to change out the display every year or so, warranty or not..

Keep you posted

Cheers

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

46 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

77 Signins

556 Page Views

• Message 347 of 348

2021-03-07, 1:53 AM

02HL150 is also the PN of my new one in that location.  My caliper doesn't show a thickness difference.

The reliability difference will 100% be a factor of the ribbon cable in the little flexible neck of the keyboard, and only time will tell if that is improved.

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

55 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 348 of 348

2021-03-07, 15:01 PM

@ d_r wrote:

02HL150 is also the PN of my new one in that location.  My caliper doesn' show a thickness difference.

The reliability difference will 100% be a factor of the ribbon cable in the little flexible neck of the keyboard, and only time will tell if that is improved.

Ah well at least you know you have the latest now, for sure, of the 3 revisions.. third time lucky? :)
Which version are you measuring against, 01AW830 or 01HX850?

My first was 01AW830, and there's definitely a little thickness difference between the two...
It might be they updated depth in one revision, and the pogo problem in another?

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms