Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msolok
Paper Tape
Views: 13,069
Message 1 of 269

X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

Hi All,

I'm hoping that other here with the 3rd Gen X1 Tablet cab chime in with how their screen is fairing after a bit of use.

I had mine for around 30 days and I noticed that my screens coating had significant scratching and scuffing on it. There was big scuff right in th middle of the screen, and a whole bunch of scratches and scuffs around then top half of the screen. The big scuff exactly lines up with the Trackpoint's centre button, and this cuffing lines up with the fat pats of the keyboard case. The scratches are being left by th stylus.

I have owned the Surface Pro 3, Pro 4 and Pro 2017 and a range of Android tablets in the past and none have ever had such issues. I was a bit astounded that my Lenovo has run into this issue under the same use and so quickly as well. It's clearly the screen coating that is scuffing, not the glass, so I am kind of wondering if it's a design fault or I just got a dodgy screen. I don't abuse my device, but do put it into my bag tot ake to work and can carry it around in my hand with the keybaord closed a fair amount.

I did contact Lenovo about it and they shipped out a brand new tablet, which was great, but I'm a bit concerned the same thing will occur with my replacement.

Is anyone able to provide their experiences?

Highlighted
Acharai
Paper Tape
Views: 12,824
Message 2 of 269

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

Hi!

I had the same problem with my X1 Tablet Gen 3 (I attached some pictures), and just like yours my screen got replaced. But my new screen seems to be gathering tiny (tiny!) scuffs after just a couple of days and I'm worried that it's gonna end up looking like the old one. Maybe I've just received two duds in a row (still hoping that the new screen will hold up better than the old one), or the coating that Lenovo is using need to be reevaluated.

I've never had this kind of thing happen to any of my earlier devices (Surface Pro 3, Android Tablet, smartphones).

msolok
Paper Tape
Views: 12,800
Message 3 of 269

Thanks for the details Acharai. My first device looked exactly the same as yours.

Just like you, my second device has started developing the same scuffs and scratches. I've logged another support request for it, and sadly will be getting a refund. A few of the other niggly issues I could live with, but the screen issues are not something I could put up with. Other than the screen issues I do think it's a good device.

Since posting this I have heard from Lenovo's Engineer's on the issue (which I was very impressed by). Theya re apparently concerned about these reports and are currently looking into it. There's not been any indication on what they think the issue is, but they have asked me a lot of questions around it.

agordon117
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,328
Message 4 of 269

Haven't contacted support about it yet (it's on my todo list), but my screen also has the coating flaking off in a few places.  The only thing the screen ever comes in contact with besides the keyboard is the pen.  There are all kinds of hairline scratches in the coating too.  I haven't had a phone with this many scratches since before they switched to gorilla glass, and that's with 2 years of daily use.  

This is really a shame, because I like this device a lot, but since there is no tempered glass screen protector available, I don't really know how to deal with this issue.  They can replace my device or screen a dozen times, and it's not going to fix the issue unless they change the manufacturing process for the screen itself, which is going to take time.  If they could just tell me that they are working on a fix, and they could replace it now, but it will just happen again, but they will for sure give me a fixed unit once the fix is rolled out, I'd be happy to wait.  I doubt they will be that open about the process though.  

Acharai
Paper Tape
Views: 12,322
Message 5 of 269

I've also been in contact with Lenovo and they seem to be working on a solution. They are obviously aware of the problem. My new screen has, so far, held up better than my old one (so I'm still hoping that I won't need to replace it). The person I was in contact with promised to be in touch when they found a permanent fix.

agordon117
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,316
Message 6 of 269

That's good news at least.  Hopefully I get high enough up the chain to someone who can provide similar information.  

Acharai
Paper Tape
Views: 12,312
Message 7 of 269

Good luck! :-)

agordon117
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,128
Message 8 of 269

I tried contacting support, but was unable to reach anybody either online or by phone who knows anything about this issue, or a permanent fix coming in the future.  So I'm not really sure what to do, as I'm not sure a note on my account that I am having problems now will be good enough to guarantee they won't give me a hard time about it in the future.  I wasn't offered a replacement device at all either, which means if I do want to have it fixed multiple times so they keep track that the issue is ongoing, I have to keep sending the tablet back and forth.  Not that having to load my stuff onto a new tablet is easy either.  

I really like this device a lot, the more I use it the better I like it.  But this is the classic problem of being a customer that actually knows anything at all about the issue.  When I have a specific issue that is identified and known by the company, everyone that I contact is super confused and has no idea what I'm asking for.  

Acharai
Paper Tape
Views: 11,878
Message 9 of 269

Hi again and sorry for the super late reply (work started again after the summer holidays and i kept forgetting to answer). Nobody knew about this issue when I contacted the swedish support in May either. I kept nagging, sending them lots of pictures and linking to this thread, which seemed to work. My tablet is beginning to accumulate more scratches, so I just baby it right now and hope for it hold up reasonably well until they figured out a solution.

luispe
Punch Card
Views: 11,834
Message 10 of 269

Hi all. How generalized is this problem? 
From this post, I see that it has been an issue for a few people at least, with more than one device.
Do you think these were unlucky situations? I ordered one before seeing this post

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors