Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heluca
Not applicable
Views: 2,285
Message 21 of 293

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

I have a case open with Lenovo.  I asked them to replace the keyboard first, but there is a delay getting the replacement ordered.  I am told it will be shipped shortly.  Once I am confident the keyboard issue is resolved, then I'll have them replace the screen.  Otherwise this will be a waste of their money and my time. 

JRiggs
Not applicable
Views: 2,247
Message 22 of 293

Its not the keyboard.

Its the screen.  I got a second X1 G3 and made sure to have the sleeve that protects the tablet upon shipping between the keyboard and screen on.

There was no keyboard imprents or scratchs because of that, however after 3 weeks my screen is full of tiny scratchs from the pen.  This screen is the worst screen i have ever had in a tech product.  The display is amazing but the glass is 100% fail on Lenovo.  No keyboard correction will correct this. I take very good care of my gear and to see all those nicks all over that quickly is super dissapointing.  The only thing that sold me on this was the TB3 and its the only reason I keep this.  I now have a screen protector on and am happy with this for the next couple of years. I will wait to see what you guys uncover.

I just purchased 6 more tablets for work and they were not lenovos.  

thinkpadfreak
Not applicable
Views: 2,176
Message 23 of 293

Thanks for the reply. I'll put off my X1 Tablet purchase for now seeing that everyone is facing this issue.

It just boggles my mind Lenovo would build everything so perfectly, and screw the screen so badly. What were they thinking???

majidessa
Not applicable
Views: 2,149
Message 24 of 293

Hello everyone,

Isn't these tablets using Gorilla glass 4 screens? they in theory should hold well against scratches so why wouldn't they? should we blame Lenovo or gorilla glass for the problem?

Theoratically,  keyboard should not scratch the screen as it is too soft (Gorilla glass 4 is strong and adequate enough to resist scratches made by knives and keys!) , the main thing that migh actually scratch it is sand particles.

Only one or two pictures have been displayed with scratched glass, i don't think that we have enough complaints /data to assume a wide spread faulty manufacturing of the deivce.

I remeber when Samung Note 7 was released and based on a youtuber testing it was widely assumed that the glass on that phone is more prone to scratches until the youtuber found out that the problem was not the device but the tools he actually used.  

I had purchased mine a few days ago and because of what I have read i instantly bought a screen protector until this issue is sorted out.

Heluca
Not applicable
Views: 2,107
Message 25 of 293

It is the coating off the screen that is being rubbed off, the glass may be fine.  I have never seen this happen on any of my  tablets from Apple, Microsoft or Sony.

I just received a new keyboard and it slightly different than the original I received with the device.  The keyboard shouldn't be rubbing the screen, and I agree that the plastic buttons shouildn't be able to damage the screen anyway.

My next step is for Lenovo to replace the screen and I'll look into screen protectors in the meantime.  Hopefully they have sorted it out, I have a really long extended warranty.

thinkpadfreak
Not applicable
Views: 2,095
Message 26 of 293

Ditto to what Heluca wrote. Gorilla glass is strong, but Lenovo's coating process is to blame for these coating being scratched off. It looks really ugly after just a few weeks of usage.

I wonder if an alternative would be to just remove the coating all together. Might've been better.

majidessa
Not applicable
Views: 2,079
Message 27 of 293

Hi again, 

Can you please share a picture of the updated keyboard design, I'm interested in knowing  the changes they made and if my tablet came with the new keyboard or not. I think it is important for everyone to contact Lenovo and ask for a replacement.

Also, maybe it is better if we share the manufacturing date of the tablets, to see if this problem is related to a certain batch of if it is general. mine was manufactured in June 2018.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Heluca
Not applicable
Views: 2,045
Message 28 of 293

I wouldn't say the keyboard design has changed, FRU and part numbers are identical.  The difference is that the plastic on the touchpad buttons feel less smooth and the buttons seems slightly more flush, but it is very subtle.  Probably just a manufacturing variation.  

2018/07 is the date code on my tablet. 

The reason I was concerned about the trackpad buttons are that the wear marks on the screen correspond with wear marks on the touchpad buttons.  The marks are now large enough that I see them while using the machine. 

Screen 201811.PNG

Keyboard Original.PNG

Keyboard 201811.PNG

luispe
Not applicable
Views: 2,001
Message 29 of 293

I noticed very similar markings on my device a couple of days ago. I am so dissapointed, since I was otherwise extremely happy with it!
Just contacted Lenovo to see what they can do.

Has anyone found an adequate solution to this? (screen protector aside -  I do not want to add a screen protector to my device, neither should we)

thinkpadfreak
Not applicable
Views: 1,933
Message 30 of 293

Personally, i wasn't able to find any. With the problem being the coating itself, the problem will just show up sooner or later. The screen protector is the only single route, which was why i returned my x1 after a few weeks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors