Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wditters
802.11n
Views: 1,404
Message 71 of 108

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

@Cloud9AeroDsign wrote:

I have a 3rd gen that is doing the exact same thing, same conditions - lightly loaded briefcase, etc. Less than 3 months - about to submit for warranty. Any more sustainable solutions - as warranty eventually runs out but the screen/keyboard design will inevitably need a solution that is lasting.

What's your warranty start date? Could be an older batch still?

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Cloud9AeroDsign
Paper Tape
Views: 1,447
Message 72 of 108

9/21/2018 is the start date of the warranty for this device.

wditters
802.11n
Views: 1,438
Message 73 of 108

@Cloud9AeroDsign wrote:

9/21/2018 is the start date of the warranty for this device.

Hmmm that somehow does not align with the statement that by August new revised screens were being shipped with improved coating.  

X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
JRiggs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,350
Message 74 of 108

I don't know if i believe the statment that they have "fixed" the issue.

I purchased 1 tablet at the intial release in the summer and that wa sent off around Aug for screen replacment.  It took litterally 1 time closing the keyboard for the new screen to be scuffed up.

My 2nd x1 g3 i got for work was in September and its the one I am currently using now.  Same issue, i have a screen protector on it which makes it tollerable.  

I have used a surface pro 2 3 4 2017 through work and never had an issue. Infact my pro 2 is still in use today and looks better than my 3 onth old one.  

If it wasnt for TB3 i wouldnt have touched this.

I hope they can recitify the problem so i can trust there product otherwise I wont be buying anymore lenovos...

wditters
802.11n
Views: 1,305
Message 75 of 108

@Heluca wrote:

The technician just replaced my screen.  It was covered by warranty.  Now I wait and see.

Please let us know your experience and findings. Especially if the new screen exhibits the same behaviour. Suddenly I am not so convinced anymore by the Canadian Sales Rep statement ...

Highlighted
wditters
802.11n
Views: 1,038
Message 76 of 108

@Heluca wrote:

The technician just replaced my screen.  It was covered by warranty.  Now I wait and see.

Any news on your end Heluca? 

flyingcolours
Paper Tape
Views: 959
Message 77 of 108

Hey guys. Unfortunately I'm having this issue as well, which is super annoying because it's the final season (ugh).

I got my X1T3 last Friday and started using the very same day. The screen coating issue was actually present on my 12-inch MacBook as well and Apple was criticized for this issue but never formally/officially addressed it. My 13-inch MB Pro works just fine though (the display itself does show some burn-in after daily use after almost 2 years now).

I don't exactly baby my X1T3 because, well, it's supposed to be a ThinkPad (if anything Surface Pro would need that more? I had a Surface Book for ~2 weeks and the hinge part was chipping off like crazy). But I've never gone out of my way to use my X1 in reckless ways that could've caused the anti-glare coating to come off.

The spots showed up today - and I've not tried to scratch the screen really. I use a padded laptop backpack (a Timbuk2) and I attach the keyboard to the tablet most of the time. Occasionally, just occasionally I would store the tablet alone in my backpack but never applying pressure by leaning on it or otherwise.

I aligned the marks on the screen with the keyboard case approximately, and I think it's the buttons between the keyboard and the trackpad, especially the middle one with those dots. The keyboard on my MacBook definitely would cause some pressure on the screen as well, but never like actually scuffing. After reading 4 pages of this thread, I already submitted a request to Lenovo and see what they would say. Too bad this happened - I really wouldn't want to return this and get a Surface instead.

Just for reference, my 'monitor name' is LP130QP1-SPA1. So based on what I read this shouldn't be a panel-related issue - more like inferior or subpar anti-glare coating, or bad application technique.

BG83
Paper Tape
Views: 802
Message 78 of 108

I'm having the same issue as the rest of you. I purchased my X1 tablet in September, I believe, but it didn't arrive until mid-October. Before the month even ended, I noticed the scuff marks on my screen. It's gotten worse since then.

I'm a teacher, and in addition to my teacher duties, I also run a photography club at my school. This was one of the reasons why I opted for this device. I felt the better screen resolution, 3:2 aspect ratio, and detachable keyboard would be a better tool for me as I taught the little I know about photography to others. I should have opted for the 3rd gen Thinkpad Yoga X1 like I originally planned because I never had this issue with my 1st gen S1 Thinkpad Yoga. 

It was so embarrassing seeing one of my students with his newly purchased Macbook Air and how much better his screen look compared to mine despite me having the supposely superior product. My tablet is either in my camera bag in its dedicated laptop compartment or on my desk. I haven't even used it out in the field yet like I initially planned, but the screen sure doesn't look like it. 

erflesby
Paper Tape
Views: 786
Message 79 of 108

So they never fixed the problem back in August, just as suspected. It's a screen coating with a simple fix, why on earth can't just they just stop shipping the old coating and ship with a new one from now on?? The saga is made scarier by the fact that the sales reps are now saying the wrong thing. They'e probably doing this so that they can claim there are no defects in the future and thus not fix this under warranty.

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 677
Message 80 of 108

It has been a week since my screen was replaced and no sign of scratching.  Hopefully I am not speaking too soon, but I'll post again if the problem recurs. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors