Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 1,770
Message 91 of 156

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

TL;DR:  Having used two different screen protectors, neither seems to have a negative impact on pen response or performance (though I have no unprotected-screen baseline).  A clear, glossy protector is preferred over a matte protector by my sketching tester.

So, I have some experience on the screen protector pen sensitivity topic.  I've used two screen protectors with my X1TG3:  The built-in, film-type "window" of the Lenovo Protector Case (#4X40Q62112), which does not adhere to the tablet screen; and a matte (anti-glare), direct-to-screen protector from BoxWave.  (Again, no affiliation whatsover:  http://www.boxwave.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet-3rd-gen-screen-protectors/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet... The BoxWave is what is currently installed.

I can barely draw stick figures, but my daughter (18), is a solid, high-school-level artist, and while she's no undiscovered genius, she has created some really nice sketches on the X1TG3.  In my observations, and in her estimation, the screen protectors have what we deem to be very good pen response--I can't imagine the pens* working any better on a bare screen (see disclaimer below).  My daughter says she likes the smoothness of the glossy, clear screen protector of the Lenovo Protector Case.  She didn't like the dull feeling of the BoxWave matte protector.  Even so, the pen performance, she said, seems to be equally good with both protectors.  (*I have both the factory-supplied "ThinkPad Pen Pro" and the "Lenovo Active Pen 2.")

Now, neither I nor my daughter have used the X1TG3 without a protector, so we don't know what kind of experience to expect from a bare screen; our evaluations of the pen response and performance are made in the absence of that baseline.  In any event, my daughter thinks the sketching is "freakin' awesome" no matter what's over the screen.

As for regular 'ol note taking, I kinda like the dull feeling of the BoxWave matte protector with the increased precision of the Lenovo Active Pen 2...feels more like actual pen and paper to me.

In my experience, the protectors definitely do not make the pen unusable.  Response may be degraded, but, man, I sure can't tell if it is! 

Performance of a glass screen protector is yet to be determined.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

erflesby
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,672
Message 92 of 156

Wow, that was very informative. Thanks! I'm going to try out both types of protectors, the glass and matte. I feel more confident buying this knowing that protectors work.
thinkpadfreak
Token Ring
Views: 1,555
Message 93 of 156

This is just simply unacceptable. We reported this problem in July, and this problem is nowhere close to being solved despite 2018 coming to an end. Makes me wonder if they are just waiting for us to give up so that this problem can be forgotten.

chscki
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,450
Message 94 of 156

Unacceptable Indeed.

I just got mine back with a new screen. So far it's ok, but we'll see how long it lasts.

wditters
802.11n
Views: 1,342
Message 95 of 156

@chscki wrote:

Unacceptable Indeed.

I just got mine back with a new screen. So far it's ok, but we'll see how long it lasts.

New screen incoming on Friday. If that also shows the same behaviour I agreed with Lenovo to raise this from a regular case to a complaint.

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
ineed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,298
Message 96 of 156

My case is already a complain because they dont want to repair it. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Silichb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,070
Message 97 of 156

Hi All.

Tablet purchased October 2018. Delivered mid-November 2018 and by mid-December the screen coating had worn off in multiple places particularly where the keyboard buttons touch the screen when closed. Really poor quality screen film. Given the laptop is supposed to be tested against 12 military-grade requirements, they missed something here!

I am dealing with Lenovo customer service centre out of HK. Visited the centre yesterday for the first time to lodge the case and proceed with getting a replacement (so long as there is a permanent fix). However, the customer service centre initially tried to claim this will not be covered under warranty. Which I find completely ridiculous given it is a known design issue with this tablet/screen and Lenovo are working on fixes to resolve the issue.

Pictures below, details of the screen in the Tablet. I notice current specs on the website say they supposedly come with Corning® Gorilla® Glass.

Will update post as I get on.

Screen.jpgIMG_3179 (003).JPG

wditters
802.11n
Views: 939
Message 98 of 156

@Silichb wrote:

Hi All.

Tablet purchased October 2018. Delivered mid-November 2018 and by mid-December the screen coating had worn off in multiple places particularly where the keyboard buttons touch the screen when closed. Really poor quality screen film. Given the laptop is supposed to be tested against 12 military-grade requirements, they missed something here!

I am dealing with Lenovo customer service centre out of HK. Visited the centre yesterday for the first time to lodge the case and proceed with getting a replacement (so long as there is a permanent fix). However, the customer service centre initially tried to claim this will not be covered under warranty. Which I find completely ridiculous given it is a known design issue with this tablet/screen and Lenovo are working on fixes to resolve the issue.

Pictures below, details of the screen in the Tablet. I notice current specs on the website say they supposedly come with Corning® Gorilla® Glass.

Will update post as I get on.

Wow .. that looks bad ... At this point I think that Lenovo really has a bigger issue at hand than they are currently admitting ...

X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
ineed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 925
Message 99 of 156

I had the same problem. I have sent over the German support my X1. Then the technician said that this is not covered by the warranty. I would have to pay over 500 euros myself. Then I got in touch with the support and they said to me that Lenovo had no clues that there were any problems with the display. I then referred to the forum here but without success. The support then offered me that they will make a complaint ticket. Now I am waiting for over a week for the response from the complaints department.

The whole thing has been going on since the beginning of December. This is very annoying.

wditters
802.11n
Views: 785
Message 100 of 156

@ineed wrote:

The support then offered me that they will make a complaint ticket. Now I am waiting for over a week for the response from the complaints department.

Keep us posted please .. Fingers crossed!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors