Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erflesby
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,362
Message 151 of 221

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

Is the class action legit? I'm not sure if I want to give my personal info yet unless someone vouches for it. However, it does seem like a class action is the only real way to fix this, as no matter how many individuals approach Lenovo, they will always pursue the same strategy of one-off fixes (if they deem the customer worthy) combined with feigning ignorance. However, we have to make sure the class action settlement isn't something stupid like a $10 coupon off of our next Lenovo purchase and is instead something more substantial like a promise to fix the defective coating at the source and then replace our screens.

Highlighted
TeKnical
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,345
Message 152 of 221

I stuck my neck out and contacted them via email. They got back to me very quickly and did not want much detailed personal information. It was primarily information about the product and issue. I doubt being in Wyoming that they will take action in my state, but I figured any way I can help in getting Lenovo to find a real resolution to this issue is worth while.

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 1,178
Message 153 of 221

Spoke too soon.  Not two months later and I have already noticed scratches.  This tablet has been such an epic waste of my time.  It has never worked properly and it has been a never ending cavalcade of support calls and onsite visits swapping out every part.  The scratching on the bezel are by the IBM technicians.  Nice work, but from what I gather none of them had ever seen the Gen 3 tablet before let alone worked on one.  BRUTAL!

20190214 Screen scratching again.jpg

neshah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,108
Message 154 of 221

Hi Guys, I am interested in getting an X1 until I read these comments here. I am assured by Lenovo that the fix is in place and new units manufactured come with the fixed screen/keyboard however having read this thread and the fact that people are still getting faulty new and replacement screens in the lastfew days I have my concerns.

Just to be sure though if the screen is to be changed does it involve an engineer literally forcing the unit apart and removing every part including wifi antennas which are glued down as they were in my helix 2 in order to change the screen?

My concern is that if this is done even once it will cause other components as well as the integrity of the entire device to deteriorate.

Please can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Many thanks in advance!

wditters
802.11n
Views: 940
Message 155 of 221

My machine has had 2 screen replacements so far … (With the third screen again showing the same behaviour)..

Servicing the X1T3 however was a breeze. That's what Lenovo has always been known for and the X1T3 is no different. Swapping the screen in both cases was done in 20-30 mins tops. No worries whatsoever in terms of possible deterioration of integrity …You can say what you want about Lenovo's way of handling the screen issue, their Thinkpad products are well thought out when it comes to serviceability ..

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
B-rett
Paper Tape
Views: 840
Message 156 of 221

Hey All!

I read through all of the pages and didn't seem to see this so I figured I would bring it up. 

I have seen people across a number of threads with different machines and generations (X1 Extreme, Yoga etc) and they seem to be seeing the same anti glare coating scratching going on. So I think this is actually across many of the Lenovo lines that use the same anti glare coating. I think the main reason we are seeing so many for the Tablet is because its most likely to be used with fingers and pens. Where as someone with an X1 Extreme would probably have limited finger useage and in one instance I saw the person noticed the scratching and flaking do to traveling and the keyboard rubbing. The picture that was shown looked the same and what others here were displaying.

So really it seems like the anti glare coating issue is pretty wide spread. I know it doesn't mean much but it does kind of show its a Lenovo Anti Glare coating issue even more if other devices are also showing this. Anyways thought I would mention that here.

Even after all of that, I am still thinking about getting a X1T3 hah. The overall reviews are solid aside from the screen flaking/scratching, but would instantly put a screen proector on it no question.

erflesby
Fanfold Paper
Views: 768
Message 157 of 221

If you care about image quality you won't bother with the protector. The decrease in quality was pretty severe in my case, to the point of defeating the purpose - it's an all screen device, the point is to have an extremely high quality display. Without it, you have nothing.

B-rett
Paper Tape
Views: 678
Message 158 of 221

Hey MtnMike!

Just seeing how your extended screen protector use has been overall? Any big negatives or much decrease in visual screen quality? Thanks for your time and insight, they are much appreciated!

Regards

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 645
Message 159 of 221

[Apologies, I know we're trying to keep this thread on-topic, but my feedback was solicited, so...here goes...]

B-rett,

The screen protector I'm currently using (The BROTECT AirGlass model from protectionfilms24.com) has--in MY opinion--been very good, and is holding up just fine, even in the face of extended use.  Everyone's taste is different, and I find this particular protector to be just fine for my use.  I don't find that it degrades the bightness or sharpness, or the touch/pen responisveness of the screen at all.  Again, this is MY opinion and according to the questionable acuteness of my almost-50-year-old eyes.  (In the interest of full disclosure, due to my fear of damaging my screen, I've not used my tablet extensively without a protector of some sort on it; my evaluation may be skewed.)

The only negative I find is that it is indeed very reflectice.  More reflective than the bare panel.  I can mostly overlook it, but at the right angle, it can be very distracting.  I don't fault anyone for making this trait a deal killer.

Now, I don't know if this is a fair comparison, but here it is for what it's worth.  I also have a new ThinkPad Yoga 3rd Gen, and according to the resident artist (my daughter), the pen feel of the bare, native Yoga screen is better than that of the BROTECT screen protector.  So...that may be something to consider as well.  Again, in my case, for simple note taking, the BROTECT is fine.

The BoxWave Anti-Glare protector I had was much better about glare, but it did degrade the image quality a great deal.  The screen was still plenty bright, and touch/pen responsiveness was fine, but the screen lost its sharpness.

So...hope this helps.  

pelujan
Punch Card
Views: 1,092
Message 160 of 221

I have a five month old X1 Extreme and one year old Yoga 920 both, no problems with screen protective coating on either to-date and I touch on both a fair amount, particularly the Yoga. I also have a leather folio stand cover on both so when thrown in a bag the screen never comes completely down on the keyboard.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors