Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcislander
Punch Card
Views: 2,216
Message 241 of 308

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

FWIW, I just got off the phone after speaking to Customer Support. With no 'pushback', Lenovo will be replacing the screen on my X1 Tablet. Shipping box is on the way. 

Should I hope that the new screen will be free from this problem, or is a screen protector now on my shopping list?

Highlighted
MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 2,197
Message 242 of 308

bcislander,

Before you ship off your X1T3, get the display panel information using the (free) HWInfo tool.  I like the "portable" version...no installation, just extract the files and run the *.exe.

The tool will open two windows.  One is kind of a cluttered summary, you can close that one.  Behind it will be another window that looks sorta like Windows' Device Manager panel.  Select Monitor, then Lenovo.  Look for the "Monitor Name (Manuf)" item and take note of the panel model:

5-24-2019 10-26-47 AM.png

When your X1T3 comes back from service, run HWinfo again and get the new panel model number.  Chances are, if history is any indicator, it'll be the same defective panel model as before.  A few months have passed, however, since the last forum member went through this, so maybe something has changed.

If the new panel is the same as the old, yeah, a screen protector is in your future.

Best of luck to you!

bcislander
Punch Card
Views: 2,126
Message 243 of 308

Thanks. HWInfo shows the exact same details for my display. 

Here are a couple of pics of the screen showing the scratches and 'shiny spots'. There are also a number of pin head sized spots which are not visible in the pics.

IMG_2247.jpg'Shiny spots' in foregroundIMG_2248.jpgScratches in foreground

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 2,067
Message 244 of 308

@MtnMike

If you're a fan of the PhotoDon products, I'm working with them to make a custom screen protector for the X1T3.  I'm not familiar with their products, but you mentioned their "matte MHX25% film" as probably being the best for tablets.  Shall we start with that material for the first test?

It is the obvious material if you want a matte protector, I think it is only one that won't interfere with the image.  They have a few clear protectors as well.  If you are conflicted, they have sample packs available.

Kzbj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,891
Message 245 of 308

I am having similar issues with my X1 tablet 3rd gen bought last Aug.

The first a couple of scuffing appeared near the area of touchpad buttons after 4 months of normal use. Sent it in to service, and was told it was my own responsibility and billed me over $700 for a new screen. I declided, and thought it was indeed my problem.

However, after a couple of months of very careful use, more scuffing starts to appear. I found this thread and sent it in again. I explained everything yet nothing changed--they still want $700+ for a new screen. The tech support doesn't acknowledge this as an issue.

This is very disappointing

luispe
Punch Card
Views: 1,883
Message 246 of 308

For reference, I ended up getting a refund on my device after the 3rd time it happened.

Kzbj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,843
Message 247 of 308

Which department did you talk to?

pelujan
SCSI Port
Views: 1,575
Message 248 of 308

The Lenovo 4X40Q62112 X1 Tablet 3rd gen protector, though built very solidly and has a good screen protector on the top half of the clam shells that clip together, adds another .5" of bevel all the way around. When putting the LCD into the bottom tray, the keyboard can't fold up and have that magnetic strip clip across the bottom of the LCD. The extra .5" all the way around also makes the kickstand have to lean way back. Sending it back.

Non-plussed with the Boxwave protector as well. Most I can muster is a "meh." Sending it back also.

Ordering the atFolix FX-Antireflex-HD 2x Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen. 2018 Protective Film and see if that fits any better than the Brotect. Screen and keyboard both are killer, just need to protect the screen. Got a 16GB/512GB unit off Lenovo Outlet. Was going to upgrade the 512GB M.2 to a 1TB Samsung Pro 960, but after going through the FRUs' removal and separating the back from the LCD  took a pass.

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 1,443
Message 249 of 308

I've had a lot of issues with my tablet besides the screen scratching and Lenovo finally replaced the unit in April.  It is a customized unit, so they had to build it specifically for my order.  While this did resolve the serious malfunctions I was experiencing, I am dissapointed to report that the screen already has scratch marks forming in three areas on the display, the first appeared in May.  

The purchase of this tablet has been an epic waste of my time with support cases, returns and other troubles.  The performance of the i7 isn't great and the battery life is much shorter than I hoped.  It isn't all bad, and there are many things I love about the devce, but I am quite certain this will be my last Lenovo.

bcislander
Punch Card
Views: 1,181
Message 250 of 308

I just got my X1T3 back from having the screen replaced under warranty.

The good news, no scratches or other blemishes.

The bad news is HWInfo reports the same monitor name (LP130QP1-SPA1) and date of manufacture (2016).

Screen protector testers: Conclusion?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors