Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 1,288
Message 251 of 297

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

bcislander,

Funny you should ask about protectors.  I received my Photodon screen protector today and just installed it, and the initial impression is...it's stellar!  If you've not seen your screen with a matte protector on it, this may not help, but I'd say the Photodon "MXH" film is part way between a matte protector and the naked screen.  Image quality (to my eyes) is excellent, and exceeded only by the Brotect Air Glass protector, which is exceeded only by the naked screen.  (The Brotect Air Glass product turned my X1 into a mirror.)  The MXH dulls bright overhead lights nicely, but doesn't (in my warmly-illuminated home office environment) overly dim or pixelize the display.  The BoxWave ClearTouch Anti-Glare did, on close inspection, degrade the image quality.

Display response to finger and pen taps and swipes is dead accurate.  There is a bit more stiction on a pen tip than with the BoxWave matte protector, which had the most paper-like feel of all the protectors I've used.  A fingertip feels like it has a bit more drag as well.  Again, about halfway between a matte and a clear (glossy) protector.  Note:  I've never used my X1T3 without a screen protector, so I have no idea how fingers and pens feel on the naked screen; the naked screen may be "draggy" too for all I know.

Fit and finish is excellent.  I sent Photodon an existing protector with what I felt were the most accurate cutouts and they matched them exactly.  Installation was also the easiest of all three protectors.  Yeah, it's basically the same procedure for all protectors, and maybe I'm just getting really good at it, but the Photodon installation was a snap!

So, of the three protectors I've tried (BoxWave ClearTouch Anti-Glare [matte], Brotect Air Glass and the Photodon MXH), the Photodon is my current favorite.  (I have NO affiliation whatsoever with Photodon--they didn't even give me a price break for helping them make a new protector.)  Long term testing my change my opinion, but for now, I like it.  YMMV.

Photodon hasn't added the X1T3 protector to their website yet, but I'm pretty sure they saved the dimensions and cutouts so they can make more.  Shoot them a note if you're interested.

(Oh, bummer that Lenovo are still using the defective screen.)

bcislander
Punch Card
Views: 1,282
Message 252 of 297

MtnMike,

Thanks for your reply. I will contact Photodon. Is there anyone in particular with whom you dealt?

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 1,273
Message 253 of 297

bcislander, 

The person with whom I traded e-mails the most is Jo Paige.  From my interactions, all the folks at Photodon are great!

Glad d_r put me on to them.

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 1,227
Message 254 of 297

@MtnMike wrote:

There is a bit more stiction on a pen tip than with the BoxWave matte protector, which had the most paper-like feel of all the protectors I've used. 

On my older tablets with the Photodon protectors I found that the Wacom "felt tip" pen nibs gave a better feel on the protector than the default hard nibs.  These nibs also feel better on the FX protector than the X1T3 pen's nib, but of course the pen technology is different so I can't actually write on this tablet with the old pens.  

I haven't yet figured out whether it is possible to get comparable nibs as replacements for the X1T3's pen.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the Photodon, and slightly sorry I didn't have your patience to design one with the custom cutouts, though the protector I bought is still pretty good.

bcislander
Punch Card
Views: 1,086
Message 255 of 297

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen Protector

MtnMike,

I opted for the IR Facial Recognition sensors on my X1T3. Do you know if the Photodon screen protector will interfere with this function, or is there an opening in the screen protector for these sensors?

pelujan
Core Memory
Views: 1,031
Message 256 of 297

I did 5HS protector, mentioning your e-mail contact and this thread both. Chat support person brought it right up, gave me the dimensions and the link to custom cut, ordered it right up - $33.60.

Also have the atfolix FX-Antireflex-HD coming as well so will compare, contrast as these two appear to be the best so far and will go with the one that I like better, follow up when I try both.

Last, but not least, also ordered this and have it on the way as well - Activ Pack folio protective case for ThinkPad X1 Tablet (3rd gen)

Don't bother with the Lenovo 4X40Q62112 ThinkPad X1 Tablet Gen 3 Protector Case. It blows worse than the screen coating on these machines.

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 1,019
Message 257 of 297

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen Protector

@bcislander wrote:

I opted for the IR Facial Recognition sensors on my X1T3. Do you know if the Photodon screen protector will interfere with this function, or is there an opening in the screen protector for these sensors?

The sheer number of little holes (6) you need for all these functions (on top of the two speaker holes and fingerprint sensor hole) is why I gave up trying to design a custom Photodon protector.  The FX does all these perfectly.  Hopefully MtnMike's Photodon design included all the holes.

bcislander
Punch Card
Views: 1,009
Message 258 of 297

pelujan,

Awaiting your comparison between the two screen protectors before I make the decision.

pelujan
Core Memory
Views: 886
Message 259 of 297

Photodon shipped next day from order, set to arrive Friday. atfolix is looking like the better part of four weeks.

DoGood2All
Punch Card
Views: 731
Message 260 of 297

@MtnMike Sounds like you have a lot of experience installing screen protectors, so please allow me to pick your brain. What's a good installation in your opinion? I installed a BoxWeave, and it looks 95% okay as long as the screen is on. When the screen is off, it's pretty nasty. There are a dozen or so microscopic dust particles, and the bottom edge refuses to adhere. I'm curious about your experience. Thanks so much for your time!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors