Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoGood2All
Punch Card
Views: 954
Message 271 of 293

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

I followed your lead, @MtnMike and ordered two from Photodon, one standard, and one w/ the custom hole cut. I'm so bad at installing larger screen protectors, I probably should have stuck with the standard. Thanks so much for posting your experiences everyone!! Super helpful for the rest of us. Cheers
DoGood2All
Punch Card
Views: 888
Message 272 of 293

@pelujan wrote:

the folio case I have coming from Mobilis ... 

Could you please post a review of your case once you receive it? Thanks so much!!!

pelujan
Core Memory
Views: 872
Message 273 of 293

Sure.

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 859
Message 274 of 293

Very strange - I posted a photo of the holes on the atFolix screen protector, but either the post was yanked or my browser has a post-sized hole in it.  In any event, if anyone is interesting in seeing that photo, I can try again.

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 817
Message 275 of 293

Hi Folks,

So, I've been working with the technical guy at PhotoDon on some elements of the protector.  (Again, I have no interest in PhotoDon, I'm just a very determined and picky consumer...with enough time on my hands to fret over this sort of thing.)

Using this diagram as a reference:

SensorDiagram.jpg

We're shrinking #3 to match the size of #1 (same HW in both locations...no idea why the template protector I sent PhotoDon has the cutout two different sizes), and shrinking and lowering #4.  I peeled off my protector and reset it with greater precision and cutout #4 is a bit too large and too high, by about 0.5mm, so we're going to shrink it and lower it.

(From here on I'm going to refer to the LEDs, camera lenses and sensor at the top of the tablet generically as "sensors.")

I also experimented with the performance of the sensors without any cutouts.  I removed my protector and, using the small MXH sample film included in my original order, placed the film over all the sensors.  I found that every sensor works perfectly fine with the exception of #4, the normal camera (which, as expected, gets all hazy).  The IR facial recognition LEDs and camera work (#1-#3; notice that the actual IR camera lens has always been covered!), the IR and normal camera in-use indicator LED (#5) works and is plenty bright, and the ambient light sensor (#6) works.  This is just my test and my experience, different devices may behave differently.  Me personally, I kind of like the idea of not having any more holes to align than absolutely necessary, so the fact that all but one sensor works through the film is exciting to me.

Here's where I would like your input.  What are your thoughts on not having cutouts for all the "sensors" with the exception of the normal camera lens (#4)?  Would you be skeptical of a protector that had cutouts for just the normal camera (and the fingerprint reader), and covered all the other "sensors?"

(Different films will probably drive different sensor behavior--especially the privacy films and those with greater anti-glare values--but the 25% anti-glare and the clear films will probably work fine.)

PhotoDon is super flexible, and they'll do anything you want: Notches for the sensors, or any number of individual circle cutouts for the sensors.  I'm just curious if I should solicit PhotoDon to make three SKUs for the protector for the X1T3:  One with nothes, one with five sensor cutouts, and one with just one sensor (camera #4) cutout.

Oh, and we changed the radius of the corners on the fingerprint reader cutout so it more closely matches the shape of the reader button.  The red outline shows the approximate new shape:

FingerprintReaderHole.jpg

Thanks for any insight, folks!

DoGood2All
Punch Card
Views: 803
Message 276 of 293

@MtnMike wrote:

What are your thoughts on not having cutouts for all the "sensors" with the exception of the normal camera lens (#4)?  Would you be skeptical of a protector that had cutouts for just the normal camera (and the fingerprint reader), and covered all the other "sensors?"

If my order had not shipped, I would have ordered with only a camera cutout based on your advice. That said, I would have been more than a little skeptical with only one cutout, especially with films with a higher glare reduction. 🤔

pelujan
Core Memory
Views: 797
Message 277 of 293

I'm pretty **bleep** retentive about keeping all my LCDs clean so covered or not covered my preference would be uncovered. That being said, the big cutout I currently have I'm fine with. Not 'that' particular about alignment beyond covering the full screen to protect from coating rubbing off.

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 682
Message 278 of 293

Thanks for the thoughts.  I totally understand and agree with the concern about all the sensors being covered.  If I hadn't done my own test, I would certainly be skeptical.  And pelujan is right, the most important thing is that the primary screen be protected, and the PhotoDon easily provides that protection, regardless of the cutout configuration, be it notches or any number of holes.

I'm going to order a MHX protector with just a single sensor cutout (#4, normal camera), and take it for test drive...see how it works day-in-day-out.  I'll post my results.

The good news is that PhotoDon has all the right holes (and is tracking this forum conversation, so they know what we're talking about), so you can pretty much order whatever you want (nothes, cutouts) by just noting your request in the order comments at PhotoDon.  PhotoDon/Dave has my numbering diagram (the one with six locations identified; see below), so just note which holes you want using the numbering scheme; fingerprint reader will always be exposed.

The only last tweak I might discuss with PhotoDon is making the cutout for sensor #3 oblong so it picks up both the "IR camera IR LED emitter #2" and the acutal IR camera lens; single hole for #2 and #3 in diagram below.  At the moment, that lens is covered.  This is for those who are concerned about not having every sensor exposed; with all due respect, the "no-cutout skeptics."  Smiley Wink  See green outline in image below:

CutOuts-Join.jpg

This would expose all the sensors. 

So...good conversation, folks.  Thanks for everyone's input!  (Too bad we even have to bother with this. Smiley Mad)

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 664
Message 279 of 293

I'm surprised it didn't have all the top holes exposed in the first place (mine does, 6  holes all exactly the size of the lens or sensor behind them).

It isn't any harder to align 6 holes than it is to align two: once you have the two on the ends lined up, the rest are correct as well.

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 640
Message 280 of 293

d_r,

It's the atfolix protector that has all six, yeah?  Interesting.  The two BroTect glass protectors I got don't have a cutout for the IR camera lens.  I just checked the protectionfilms24 web site, and now the glass protector (and all the others) show six holes.  Interesting.  The BoxWave anti-glare also has six.

@d_r wrote:

It isn't any harder to align 6 holes than it is to align two: once you have the two on the ends lined up, the rest are correct as well.

True, if you can line up two holes, you can line up six...in some ways that actually makes it easier to get the rest of the alignment correct.  If hole 1 and hole 6 line up nice, there's a better chance that left-right and top-bottom are also lined up.  Extremities can be harder to determine if you're using just a single hole.  Plus, this way you can check your overal alignment at the beginning of the application process, since the holes are at the top.  You don't have to have the whole protector laid down to find out your up/down, left/right alignment is off.  Plus one to the "six holes" design!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors