Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pelujan
Core Memory
Views: 1,321
Message 231 of 290

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

caliss123 how about touch with the Boxwave protector? Scrolling with one, two fingers, highlighting, etc?

caliss123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,310
Message 232 of 290

Exactly the same in my experience. I even like it more since there's kind of a paper feel to it, feels more traditional. I also have a brand new wacom 24hd at work and the thinkpad definitely feels more responsive to touch. 

JU808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,271
Message 233 of 290

I got the brotec 6 weeks or so ago. It does seem to solve the problem. I can live with the plasticky feeling (tho I don't like it), but the mirror-like effect sucks.

My first and last Lenovo product

TeKnical
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,264
Message 234 of 290

I am using the Celicious Vivid glossy protector and I am not impressed. It has already shown some wear arounf the center click button and other small scratches all over the screen. I would avoid this one.

pelujan
Core Memory
Views: 1,180
Message 235 of 290

In addition to the screen protector I'd slap a ThinkPad X1 Tablet Gen 3 Protector Case on it for when the lid's put down and it's folded to keep the screen off the center click button. Have put Honeycase folio cases on my 15.6" X1C Extreme and Yoga 920 and all though there's a gap you can see when the lid's down, this has worked very well at protecting the screen.

Only bad part about that is it punches the total weight to 4.6# which is heaver than my X1C Extreme. Just don't know if it's worth it. My road machine's a 13.3" HP Spectre x360. It weights 2.97# and I've had NO problems with it other than the trackpad's really big and sometimes you miss right-clicking because you're not far enough over.

EDIT: Ah, fook it. It's all about productivity. I move so much faster with the ThinkPads' trackpad with buttons and I love the 3x2 factor on this (same with Surface Pros, it's just their keyboards' trackpads that are still coming up short - too much pressure to right click). Will bank that the screen protector and the case protector will keep the screen pristine, but will pop for a warranty that covers the screen as well.

bcislander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 915
Message 236 of 290

Bummer, the screen on my X1 Tablet is showing scratches and what appear to be wear 'spots' on the screen too, after about 6 months.

Has anyone had any more information as to what Lenovo will do to remedy the problem. One of the main reasons I bought this machine was for its screen, which has now begun to deteriorate :-( .  I sure wish that I had come across this thread before I made my purchase decision.

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 803
Message 237 of 290

I have the relatively inexpensive matte FX-Antireflex-HD from atFolix on mine.  It is an excellent fit, with all the holes cut correctly, and is good for nonreflection and feel and transparency.  It does add some 'sparkling' which is very like the well-known issue with one one of my older machines, an X61 tablet with the 1400x1050 screen.  (Possibly the non-HD protector from FX doesn't have that, but I'll bet the transparency is not as good.)  Another downside is that it doesn't adhere perfectly at some points along the edge, but it doesn't really matter as it is off the visible screen and overall the protector is secure.  I get a slight mark from the trackpoint cap, but it cleans off.  Occasionally the top slams down when I move the tablet in the open position, but there is no sign of damage, even from the raised dots on the scroll button.

I would normally have gone with a Photodon as I have with several other laptops (including 3 thinkpad tablets: X40t, X61t, X201t), despite the premium cost; their matte MHX25% films are just about perfect for tablet use.  However, they didn't have a custom one for this tablet yet, and while they will customize at no extra charge, I didn't want to do the fiddly work of measuring for all the holes (six on the top front for the cameras and sensors, three on the sides for the fingerprint and speakers).

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the FX screen protector.  However, if Lenovo ever fixes the coating issue I might take it off.  I think the raised button and trackpoint rubbing issue can probably be fixed by putting a couple of dots of sugru or similar spacer on the corners of the keyboard, to introduce a tiny amount of separation when the machine is closed.

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 677
Message 238 of 290

d_r,

I'm using the BoxWave matte protector currently, and it seems to be doing a decent job.  However, the cutouts aren't as accurate as I'd like (and I think I have the protector installed as well lined-up as possible).

Did you order your atFolix protector from a retailer in the USA?  My search-fu is pretty good, but I can't find a domestic (USA) retailer for this product.  Can you share a link to where you purchased the item?

BTW, I''ve also used the BroTect AirGlass screen protector from protectionfilms24.com, and it was very well made.  But it also made my X1T3 into a mirror!

Thanks.

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 568
Message 239 of 290

No, I bought it on eBay from what I assume is the manufacturer in Germany (their ebay seller name is atfolix). The full name of the product as listed was: FX-Antireflex-HD 2x Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen. 2018 Protective Film. It took around 2 weeks to get to me here in Hawaii, and was packed flat in a very serious heavy cardboard mailer.
MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 513
Message 240 of 290

d_r,

Thank you!  Very useful information.

If you're a fan of the PhotoDon products, I'm working with them to make a custom screen protector for the X1T3.  I'm not familiar with their products, but you mentioned their "matte MHX25% film" as probably being the best for tablets.  Shall we start with that material for the first test?

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress on the protector.

Sadly, this--the protector route--sounds like it will be our only remedy to this defect.  Smiley Mad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors