Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d_r
Punch Card
Views: 1,535
Message 301 of 308

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

The dots were from the coating coming off, either through pen use or possibly through touching.  That's not going to happen with the protector on, in fact I would expect any such marks that already showed up would be less visible after adding the protector.

erflesby
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,516
Message 302 of 308

I've had the protector on for a free months now, and the coating-peeling effect seems to be stopped. The protector also hides the ugly areas where the coating did come off by obscuring it with the matte film. I guess it scatters light well enough that the bad spots don't scatter enough light on their own to be visible.

That said, Lenovo absolutely does NOT deserve your money. Yeah, we found a solution with an acceptable/OK screen protector, but all screen protectors reduce image quality. Sure some people like screen protectors, but they objectively make the device a little bit worse than what a stock, non defective device should be. So you have to operate this device with a lower quality screen than what you bought. This is a defective product, don't buy it. There is a 13" pro level tablet from HP with much smaller bezels to boot that might fit your needs (but it's more expensive for a comparable configuration to this one... But also likely gets way better battery life...)

pelujan
SCSI Port
Views: 1,443
Message 303 of 308

You talking about the HP ZBook x2 G4?

TeKnical
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,430
Message 304 of 308

Thank you for saying this. This whole accepting the issue and moving on conversation is frustrating. This is not a budget device and this type of defect should not be an issue like it is. Please look elsewhere if you were looking at this device.

Avert
Paper Tape
Views: 1,255
Message 305 of 308

Man, I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Had I known that this issue existed, I would have ordered a screen protector on Day 1. I personally wouldn't mind shelling out an extra 30-40 bucks to protect the screen, even if it does make the screen less responsive. I ordered the device a few months ago and my entire screen is scratched as if a cat had a hissy fit. I've raised a service request two days and shipped the device to Lenovo. I just hope they replace the screen. Let's see. I'll update this post once I hear anything back from Lenovo.

To anyone who is a grad student who uses this device to read papers, journal articles and take notes on technical pdfs - this is an excellent device. I have had very little issues with the device as a computer (a few hiccups on the keybord connectivity but they are few and far between that I wouldn't consider it worth nit-picking on). However, make sure that you get a screen protector.

d_r
Punch Card
Views: 1,220
Message 306 of 308

@Avert wrote:

I just hope they replace the screen. Let's see. I'll update this post once I hear anything back from Lenovo.

I assume you have a protector on order as well?

The good news is that even if you get the machine back scratched, a protector will hide 90% of the damage. 

I've been using Thinkpad tablets for many years (starting with an X41), and have always put a screen protector on very soon after purchase, not to protect against scratching (which wasn't a problem with the earlier machines, especially if you replace the default nib with a felt tip nib - I wish we could do that on this machine!) but to get the level of pen feel and reflectivity exactly where I wanted it, also so that I could use ad-hoc cleaning products like Windex without fear of damaging the screen.  Because of the easy fix using protectors, contrary to what some of the other posters have written I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tablet to someone for whom the specs and price make it a good fit.

Avert
Paper Tape
Views: 1,173
Message 307 of 308

I am going to order one today! I am going to go with a Photodon screen protector since the previous posters have posted good comments about it.  Thank you for letting me know that the screen protector will hide most of the screen damage. That is very reassuring to read. Smiley Happy

I should get my device back within 7 business days. Until then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that all goes well. 

Avert
Paper Tape
Views: 1,004
Message 308 of 308

Just a quick update - I received my laptop back from the service center. They were generous enough to replace the scracthed screen with a new one. They also replaced the keyboard as well. No questions asked! The entire service request was resolved within a week. Personally, while I am disappointed with the screen quality, the *service* quality is truly exceptional and I came across very impressed.

I ordered a Photodon MXH25% screen protector (40 bucks.. that's on the expensive side) and it works well. The screen brightness has become slightly muted but after 2-3 minutes, my eyes got used to it  The lenght of the screen protector could be increased by 0.5 mm for full coverage but it is such a minor tidbit that I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors