Views: 1,042
Message 51 of 223

Re: X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Screen scratching

wditters
802.11n
Views: 1,013
Message 52 of 223

My screen was replaced on-site (quite interesting to see my X1's innards Smiley Happy).

In a discussion with the service engineer we both concluded that it certainly looked as if the (oleophobic?) coating on the screen is demonstrating an unwanted response to touches (to say the least) ...

Almost as if it in fact is "allergic" to fingers ... Other (smaller) spots on the screen however look more like wear from stylus use .. In any case, my screen has been taken in for further investigation. If anything comes out I will further update this thread.

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 959
Message 53 of 223

The technician just replaced my screen.  It was covered by warranty.  Now I wait and see.

wditters
802.11n
Views: 946
Message 54 of 223

@Heluca

4XJ0L59646 is for the X1 Tablet 2nd gen .. Which is smaller than the 3rd gen. So it will not fit.

As far as I can tell, this is the only tempered glass screen protector in existence for the X1 Tablet 3rd gen. 

https://www.amazon.de/atFolix-Panzerschutzfolie-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Panzerfolie/dp/B07B686PPW

I have a pack coming in end of this week. Will post my experience here ...

X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
agordon117
Fanfold Paper
Views: 926
Message 55 of 223

My screen damage is definitely physical.  everything corresponds to a high point on the keyboard, or a pen stroke.  I'm having a lot of problems with this tablet, I just don't have time to deal with shipping it in and losing it.  I did inform them of the screen issue so that they have it on record that the problem existed upfront.  But the tablet will be dead if I leave it unplugged and powered on overnight (sleep mode or hibernate doesn't seem to matter), the fingerprint sensor works maybe 1/3rd of the time.  No matter how many times I try to scan my finger, the sensor just isn't turned on randomly when the tablet doesn't feel like enabling it.  LTE is crappy because it doesn't always have a good connection on the sim card.  The stylus (even the brand new "Lenovo Pen Pro" with tilt support) produces extremely jagged lines and words no matter how quickly I am making my strokes.  And the power button seems to have a problem detecting a press vs a hold, which suggests a defective switch.  It won't shut off randomly thinking I hit the button, but when I tap the button to put it to sleep, it presents me with the "slide to shut down" screen as though I've held the button.  

I really wanted to like this device, but despite the fact that this SHOULD be a much better device than a surface, I'm going to end up buying the surface instead of another one of these once the usb c surface pro materializes.  It could be that I got a bad unit, but the stylus is so much smoother on a surface, the difference is night and day.  I'm not trying to draw a line slowly with a straightedge on the screen and seeing how much it wobbles, but if my galaxy tab s3 and galaxy note 9 can produce words smooth enough to not bother me, the lenovo tablet should easily be able to do the same.  Even if I got a bad digitizer, am I really meant to believe I got a bad screen, a bad power button, a bad lte socket, a bad power switch, a bad fingerprint scanner, and the screens are all just bad to begin with?  That seems like  a lot of problems for me to just have a defect.  The likelihood of all of those things being defective in a single unit is very low unless the defect rate on each component is extremely high.  

This is honestly how lenovo gets away with these things.  People buy their devices for work tasks, and then they can't give them up to send them for a repair or waste time complaining on a forum or to support when the device is still functional, and is needed to continue working.  If you're a big enough deal to them, they'll make sure you get a repair in some local shop or in the field, but they won't offer that for everyone, and very quickly after these started shipping, they stopped giving people straight exchanges on them.  

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 903
Message 56 of 223

The screen issue is completely unacceptable, I've never seen an issue like it on any phones or tablets and I wouldn't have bought the machine if I was aware of the issue beforehand.  Hopefully there will be good news in this thread soon.

My last machine was a Surface Pro 3.  I bought the extended warranty because it was a brand new design and it is glued together so if  anything goes wrong, it isn't serviceable.  Microsoft replaced it 6 times during the warranty for many different issues. (SD card randomly quit working, screen bleed, dock issues, the hinge lost all resistance (several units).  It often ran hot and the fan often very loud.  Then there was "display gate" regarding the Pro 4.  MS warranty now only includes 1 device replacement, and considering my track record I decided to look elsewhere.

You are not alone with these problems for the tablet.  I find the fingerprint scanner to be unreliable at best, many problems with both the Thunderbolt and USB-C mobile dock randomly quits working (reboot corrects) and the external display blanks out for 10s at random intervals.  The LTE modem connects to the network fine on boot, but after sleep it usually can't connect to the Internet.  Battery life isn't great, but you can adjust your active hours in the Lenovo app so that the battery isn't dead in the monring.  Even the headset I originally ordered with the device was defective, but the replacement works fine. 

My ASUS Vivotab Windows tablet was really good, I really liked it and never had a problem with it except Windows 10 wouldn't work properly on it.  My Dad still uses his, I think it is 6 years old now.

wditters
802.11n
Views: 789
Message 57 of 223

@agordon117 wrote:

My screen damage is definitely physical.  everything corresponds to a high point on the keyboard, or a pen stroke.  I'm having a lot of problems with this tablet, I just don't have time to deal with shipping it in and losing it.  I did inform them of the screen issue so that they have it on record that the problem existed upfront.  But the tablet will be dead if I leave it unplugged and powered on overnight (sleep mode or hibernate doesn't seem to matter), the fingerprint sensor works maybe 1/3rd of the time.  No matter how many times I try to scan my finger, the sensor just isn't turned on randomly when the tablet doesn't feel like enabling it.  LTE is crappy because it doesn't always have a good connection on the sim card.  The stylus (even the brand new "Lenovo Pen Pro" with tilt support) produces extremely jagged lines and words no matter how quickly I am making my strokes.  And the power button seems to have a problem detecting a press vs a hold, which suggests a defective switch.  It won't shut off randomly thinking I hit the button, but when I tap the button to put it to sleep, it presents me with the "slide to shut down" screen as though I've held the button.  

This definitely sounds like a bad unit. Power switch. LTE slot, digitizer, fingerprint scanner all have been flawless for me. And the machines that I sold recently all have been good so far. It's just the screen that I have been struggling with unfortunately. (I have yet to hear back from my customers on that topic).

wditters
802.11n
Views: 894
Message 58 of 223

@Heluca wrote:

The screen issue is completely unacceptable, I've never seen an issue like it on any phones or tablets and I wouldn't have bought the machine if I was aware of the issue beforehand.  Hopefully there will be good news in this thread soon.

Fingers crossed. My defective screen is on its way to Lenovo. Really curious to see what comes out ...

luispe
Punch Card
Views: 869
Message 59 of 223

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. Did the engineer mention anything different on the new screens, or we just need to wait and see if the issues do not repeat themselves?

I have received mine too very recently, screen good so far.

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 863
Message 60 of 223

@luispe the replacement unit looked identical.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors