cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdinc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 515
Message 1 of 3

X1 Tablet BIOS boot error w/ warranty motherboard replacement - Invalid Machine Type & Serial Number

Hi,

I recently had to send in my X1 tablet (1st gen, model 20GG) that had a faulty webcam in for repair. The motherboard was fully replaced, but now on bootup, there's a loud beep, and an error message pops up for a second stating "Invalid Machine Type & Serial Number". 

I need to remove the beep as it's very disrupting in the environment in which I use this machine.

I attempted to use the BIOS update file (mounted on a bootable flash drive) to update the serial Number, but I'm unable to- the model number (which should be ) shows up as "INVA-LID". I believe the model number should be "20GG-001", but I can only update the last three character (LID) and cannot move the cursor to the INVA section to update with the actual model number.

I'm at my wits end to solve this now. Does anyone have any other solutions?

pdinc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 434
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Tablet BIOS boot error w/ warranty motherboard replacement - Invalid Machine Type & Seria

Anyone, help?
dbao
Punch Card
Views: 396
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Tablet BIOS boot error w/ warranty motherboard replacement - Invalid Machine Type & Seria

You sent x1 to Memphis for repair?This is very odd. Maybe Unistar installed a brand new motherboard but forgot to write SN and type into the bios.

Hard to do with your own -- you need Lenovo service usb key. So please call IBM service center and send back to Memphis again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors