Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 340
  • Message 1 of 8

X1TabG3 CPU & RAM run below spec! Low FSB/BCLK !! Just me???

2021-03-07, 16:57 PM

Hi there, more gremlins with my X1 Tablet Gen3 :(

My system is fitted with 16Gb of 2133Mhz RAM and a 8550U CPU with top speed 4.0Ghz.
That was the spec, anyways..
Yet I'm not getting these speeds. It looks like the source of this is an underclocked FSB (Base Clock).

Here is CPU-Z main window:

I should have a Core Speed of 4.0Ghz, which is 40 Multiplier x 100Mhz FSB.
With CPU-Z running I can see the Clocks section Core Speed reading vary with Bus Speed, which is in range 99.71-99.83 as I'm watching.

This is confirmed in HWiNFO, shows a range 99.68-99.83:

It NEVER hits 100Mhz. Idle. Load. Cold. Hot.
Normal spec for a PC bus is 100Mhz - this affects every component in the system, not just Memory and CPU - it's all based off the FSB. 

Why is my bus underclocked??

Is it just me or is this widespread?

I only noticed it now, but maybe it's been like that for ages, could it be coming from a BIOS update?..

How do I stop this?

I bought a 4Ghz CPU with 2133Mhz memory and would like to have the performance I paid for, even if it's only for 9 seconds before it throttles 🤷‍♂️😤

Anyone else?

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

5584 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

922 Signins

28449 Page Views

• Views: 28449
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:X1TabG3 CPU & RAM run below spec! Low FSB/BCLK !! Just me???

2021-03-09, 13:24 PM

Hello Fbwsol!

Greetings

Make sure the BIOS, Chipset and Display drivers are up to date. You can also run the update through the Lenovo Vantage app or run it manually from the support site: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-03-10, 8:53 AM

Hi @Jwes_Lenovo 

Just ran Vantage, there was the most recent bios update to 1.42 pending, installed that.
Vantage finds no other updates available, and a CPU stress shows the same issue persisting, i.e. underclocked Bus clock.
Here it all is in one window, you can see Bus Clock ranges from 99.71 to 99.83

X1 Tablet Underclocked FSB

I would be very surprised, although happy, if this came from software. That would mean I could disable this artificial choke somewhere...
This smells like a BIOS setting, maybe Spread Spectrum (although I never saw spread spectrum make an FSB fluctuate..) one that we humble owners have no access to either read or change, or a problematic timing crystal, sign of a dying mainboard, but if you have a particular software setting or chipset driver you can point me to that has the ability to dynamically change FSB, I'm all ears!
Let me know next steps, thanks :)

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

5584 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

922 Signins

28449 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-03-10, 13:46 PM

With the BIOS and drivers updated then it can be assumed that this would be intentional. As this option like  CPU Spread Spectrum enabled or even set on Auto, then such buffer is within the expected configuration for both safety and performance as within specification.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-03-11, 23:21 PM

Hello again @Jwes_Lenovo 

So, today my mainboard was swapped out (again) for unrelated issues. 

Here is the new readout of cpu-z and hwinfo, from the "new" mainboard:

Second Mainboard underclocked Bus

I think you'll quickly notice that the range of Bus Clock frequencies on this mainboard, also on a recent BIOS, are strikingly similar. Here, my range is 99.68 to 99.81.
Before, 99.71 to 99.83. So, a similar range of in each case, .12 and .13., which is very much within the spread spectrum "down" spec of 0.5%.
However, SSDown is a range that should top out at the rated 100Mhz frequency, i.e. 99.87/8-100MHz in this case.

Spread Spectrum does not explain why neither board reaches the rated frequency of 100MHz that would achieve the rated, advertised, paid for and acquired top speed of 4.0GHz, if only occasionally as the spectrum fluctuates - there are other explanations for this.

Now, please, consider these, the HWinfo descriptions of the memory banks on both mainboards:
X1 Tablet Gen 3 Underclocked Memory - 1st Mainboard X1 Tablet Gen 3 Underclocked Memory - 2nd Mainboard

You'll notice that one uses JMicron, one Samsung. However, what you should really notice is the speed the memory is being run at. In both cases, 1867 MHz.
The part numbers for these memory chips rate them at 2133MHz.

I have attached the export log from the Lenovo Diagnostics Memory test run on the previous mainboard, and this mainboard. 
Both confirm the same: this memory, rated at 2133MHz, passes the test just fine each time... but at 1867MHz. The same result from Diagnostics loaded at reboot.
There is a very clear explanation for this, too.

My BIOS ROM dump files from the previous mainboard and this mainboard are being examined by trade experts - on the technical forums I have been a part of for much of my 28 years of experience in IT.
I expect the results of my specific questions as to the current contents of the BIOS settings back by the end of the weekend. I have the complete revision history of the BIOS updates for this model and, whilst it's full of lots of info, it's also maybe not quite "complete".

I have a wealth of other data from my last four weeks of testing this platform showing details of power draw and component temperatures, and the on-site maintenance done last week and this week, allowing full examination of the mainboards.

I suggest we take take this conversation offline, as there's more than I want to load onto this forum at this time.
Please forward this collection of preliminary information to the appropriate channel, then contact me by PM or email with the relevant parties read in.
If the implication of this post causes you alarm, feel free to delete or amend it once you've forwarded it, it has been appropriately logged.

Best

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-03-14, 16:00 PM

Further test results.
Lenovo Diagnostics Quick Memory Test launched Pre-Boot, OS-independent.
Tested under latest BIOS 1.42, and 1.25 (2018/08/24), which is earliest BIOS that can be rolled back to: same results.
2133MHz memory is running at 1867Mhz.
Waiting on comment, assembling evidence...

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

5584 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

922 Signins

28449 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-03-15, 21:50 PM

If you feel this is now unusual for you then best to have it reported to the technical support team for further investigation.

Jwes_Lenovo

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-03-20, 19:32 PM

Will do, thanks, escalating it after my mobo swap rendered bad results - they fitted me a reconditoined RevA from 01/2017 with inferior power delivery circuitry, I've lost 10% performance. And that's apart from the underclocking of the memory and bus. Getting worse...
J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms