Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Views: 616
  • Message 1 of 19

X1 Tablet Gen 3 side buttons problems

2021-06-30, 22:23 PM

After updating drivers/bios to try to (try to) diagnose a keyboard issue, the side buttons have stopped working properly on my X1 Tablet Gen 3 running Windows 10 Pro.  The rocker button no longer controls volume (or shows the onscreen display); this functionality still works fine from the volume up/down buttons on my keyboard, and if I go into the BIOS and change the button function to adjust brightness, then that works fine (so the hardware is obviously OK).  Likewise the power button no longer puts the machine to sleep or to hibernate (depending on which setting I set in the power manager), but it works to turn the machine on after a shutdown.  All my drivers are latest and up to date, the BIOS is the latest, sfc/scannow shows no errors, and I'm starting to run out of ideas.  In the old Windows 7 days I would uninstall and reinstall the Thinkpad Hotkeys Integration driver, but that doesn't seem to exist here.  Neither does the ACPI Power Button entry in the device Manager.

Any suggestions what to try next?  I am away from home (=away from backups and other equipment) for a while, so don't want to do anything potentially destructive (like reinstalling the OS).

Options

5548 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

920 Signins

28269 Page Views

• Views: 28269
  • Message 2 of 19

Re:X1 Tablet Gen 3 side buttons problems

2021-07-01, 10:53 AM

Hello d_r!

Greetings

Can you try running a hardware scan through the Lenovo Vantage to check for possible hardware failure? 

If none, run the update from the same app and install all pending updates especially the chipset drivers.

Regarding the keyboard issue, you can test all the keys here: https://www.keyboardtester.com/

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

1 Posts

07-01-2021

Germany

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 19

2021-07-01, 15:08 PM

Hello,

I have the same problem but running the updates did not make a difference. I also tried to diagnose the problem with the pcsupport.lenovo.com-Webside but I got no result related to this problem.

Is there anything else I can do?

Or should I even send the device in for a possible repair?

nick

Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 4 of 19

2021-07-01, 18:58 PM

Hi Jwes_Lenovo,

Yes, this is what caused the side button trouble in the first place: I used the online scan with Vantage to find out what drivers (including BIOS) needed updating, and then I updated them.  After that, when things weren't working, I tried again; the scan said I was up to date, but just in case I manually reinstalled a few of the drivers (such as audio and hotkey features integration), but without any improvement.

As for the keyboard, keypress diagnostics won't help, the keyboard seems to be mainly dead.  This is a replacement detachable "Gen 3 thin keyboard" I bought last September after the one that came with my machine slowly died, probably due to the usual ribbon cable failure in the flex hinge.  I only used this replacement a few times, preserving it for travel use and emergencies; I mainly use a Trackpoint II bluetooth keyboard.  The detachable keyboard worked perfectly when I used it on a plane three weeks ago, then didn't work at all the next time I tried to use it last week.  I cannot tell whether the new keyboard is dead, or whether the problem is in the tablet, since I do not have another tablet to try the keyboard on.  It does get detected when I attach/detach it from the tablet, in the sense that I get a "Do you want to switch to tablet mode" message when I attach then detach it, but nothing other than that.

Options

5548 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

920 Signins

28269 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2021-07-02, 21:57 PM

Perhaps we can take the option to move back like doing system restore to a previous date for now.

Let us see if that is an option and also isolate if the new updates made triggered the issue.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 6 of 19

2021-07-02, 22:26 PM

I am reluctant to do that at this time because I am away from home (where I have extensive facilities for backup, as well as spare computers) and need the machine for work.   I was hoping for something less dangerous to try first.

Options

5548 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

920 Signins

28269 Page Views

• Message 7 of 19

2021-07-05, 16:12 PM

It may be helpful to also report it to the tech support team especially if the warranty is active.

Even if you are not within the warranty region, having it reported would have this informed against the machine’s history to get back into once you have the time.

Jwes_Lenovo

Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2021-08-02, 22:31 PM

Just as a followup, I haven't solved the side button issues yet, but the keyboard problem is definitely a faulty keyboard.  I'm home from my travels so could swap back to the old keyboard, it is still flaky but works a little bit while the new keyboard doesn't work at all.

The new keyboard is still under warranty, but I can't get through to Lenovo support in the US to get it repaired or replaced.  Online support only works for full machines, not accessories, and US phone support (1-855-253-6686) puts me into a long queue then hangs up.  (I've tried several times, with the same results.)  @Jwes_Lenovo , I don't suppose you have any alternate support phone numbers I can use?

Options

5548 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

920 Signins

28269 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2021-08-02, 22:43 PM

Try this number:  1-800-932-0465

Jwes_Lenovo

Options

55 Posts

11-30-2013

United States of America

84 Signins

616 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2021-08-02, 23:15 PM
Thanks, I guess; this time I got put on infinite hold by a human instead of a computer.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms