Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad TabletsThinkPad Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

United States of America

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Views: 4675
  • Message 1 of 9

X1 Tablet i7 is 25% slower than i5

2019-01-17, 17:20 PM

Check out this: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Unpleasant-surprise-Core-i5-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Tablet-25-faster-than-i7-SKU.394986.0.html

Lenovo: please fix this with new microcode ASAP or recall the i7 model.

Moderator note: post moved to appropriate forum, subject edited to match content.  Was:  X1 Yoga i7 is 25% slower than i5

Options

9377 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78107 Signins

2244720 Page Views

• Views: 2244720
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Tablet i7 is 25% slower than i5

2019-01-17, 17:46 PM

The article you linked is about the X1 Tablet, not the Yoga.  I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum and changed the subject line.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

6 Posts

01-18-2019

Saudi Arabia

7 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 3 of 9

2019-01-18, 14:20 PM

Wow. Just unboxed my i7 tablet less than 48 hours ago so not happy to read about this issue. I have to say, the tablet runs hotter than I had expected under no appreciable load.

Options

2019-01-31, 5:10 AM

This really needs more attention. Their thermal profile is totally messed up. My machine throttles to 8watts when it hits 70c... No wonder it does so horrible. I would think this could be fixed with a tweak in TDP settings. 

Options

16 Posts

02-27-2019

United States of America

31 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-03-02, 13:30 PM
Does anyone know how to fix this per notebookcheck's recommendations? Also, this thread here may help, but I'll be honest that I'm out of my depth on this as I don't have much experience with undervolting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9zu76l/x1_tablet_3rd_gen_excellent_performance_after/
Options

31 Posts

12-23-2014

United States of America

130 Signins

1032 Page Views

• Views: 1032
  • Message 6 of 9

2019-03-05, 0:33 AM

Well, I tried the whole undervolting thing, and everything I did made my X1T3 "slower."  At least as tested by PassMark's CPU benchmark test, the same benchmark used by the fellow on Reddit (NanQin).  That gentleman was able to get a CPU value of 10,236.  The best I could muster was 9,409 and that was with no CPU voltage tweaks or anything else!  Just plain 'ol, out-of-the-box Lenovo HW and Windows 10 SW settings.

My attempts at undervolting left me in the 8,000 area, no matter what voltage I tried, or what Speed Shift value I used.  (ThrottleStop is doing its magic.  I tried the "battery" setting in ThrottleStop and CPU performance dropped down to around 5,000!)

So...I'm either doing this wrong, or the other things NanQin did are what made the speed improvements:  Replaced thermal paste, or increasing the fan speed.  I didn't do either of those things.

My undervolting may have helped my battery life, but I haven't "tested" that yet (not sure really how to, aside from a seat-of-the-pants kind of thing).

For the record, I undervolted safely to -95.7mV (for CPU and CPU Cache).

I'm going to keep playing with this notion of undervolting, but at the moment, for me, it's a bust.  I'll post back with any updates.

(Oh, BTW, I followed this guide to configure/use ThrottleStop.)

Options

2 Posts

02-17-2021

Malaysia

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 7 of 9

Re:X1 Tablet i7 is 25% slower than i5

2021-02-23, 6:15 AM

An old thread. Not sure if you still own this tablet. I just bought a refurbished X1T3 and has been getting good result with ThrottleStop. However, ThrottleStop directly programs the PL1 and PL2 settings into the hardware. Sometimes it will mess up the behavior of throttling even after you format and reinstall your Windows.

I suspect your PL1 is set at much lower than 29W (29W was my stock out-of-box reading). Initially I had 29W set in PL1. But after messing around to try different configurations, the PL1 reading kept dropping to 10W for no reason, although the textbox for PL1 under TPL showed 29W. Had tried to delete the profiles, .ini file, and reset every configurations to no avail.

Then I saw this: https://bradshacks.com/disable-power-limits/

Following the guide, I managed to set PL1 back to 29W. Not only that, you can set PL2 too (the guide in that link disabled PL2 so that CPU temp will be the main variable to throttle the CPU, instead of Power).

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 340
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-02-24, 8:10 AM

I've been having nasty paste problems with my device, waiting on a repaste service as we speak, along with new screen and fingerprint module.
I've used ThrottleStop to prevent my CPU cooking too much in the meantime, and it works great.
For reference, I have a stable undervolt of 135mV on CPU and CPU Cache on my 8550U. At 145 it started to BSOD so I dialled back a couple of notches.

I have limited my multis to 37 34 33 33 to keep things cooler, and I use TP Fan Control with a custom curve to make sure the fan gets busy too. I'm noisy and hot and a bit slower than usual, but I'm still alive 👍
Temporary fixes all, except for the undervolt which of course I'll be keeping.
For ThrottleStop, on older versions you needed to download and install a separate driver in order to control the TP1 and TP2. You no longer need to, it's baked in, make sure you have the latest version.
I have TP1 25 and TP2 32 and they don't budge, and a boost time of 80s.
Once I've had the repaste under warranty and can take the handbrake off, I'll post back on what's doable - I'm an old hand at this game and totally OCD so I'll squeeze the best out of it and hand over some figures you might want to work with. :)
If anyone reading, @MtnMike or other is having issues I'm happy to help, post some screenshots of ThrottleStop's Main, FIVR and TPL windows and I can give some input..

Happy volt-hunting :)

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-05-12, 14:12 PM

@Fbwsol 

I just recently purchased a Gen 3 Tab with the i7. I would love to see your ThrottleStop screens, Ive been trying to undervolt myself and looked at those same Reddit posts mentioned earlier with limited success thus far. Anything you can share will be valuable. Thanks 

@ Fbwsol wrote:

I' been having nasty paste problems with my device, waiting on a repaste service as we speak, along with new screen and fingerprint module.
I' used ThrottleStop to prevent my CPU cooking too much in the meantime, and it works great.
For reference, I have a stable undervolt of 135mV on CPU and CPU Cache on my 8550U. At 145 it started to BSOD so I dialled back a couple of notches.

I have limited my multis to 37 34 33 33 to keep things cooler, and I use TP Fan Control with a custom curve to make sure the fan gets busy too. I' noisy and hot and a bit slower than usual, but I' still alive 👍
Temporary fixes all, except for the undervolt which of course I' be keeping.
For ThrottleStop, on older versions you needed to download and install a separate driver in order to control the TP1 and TP2. You no longer need to, it' baked in, make sure you have the latest version.
I have TP1 25 and TP2 32 and they don' budge, and a boost time of 80s.
Once I' had the repaste under warranty and can take the handbrake off, I' post back on what' doable - I' an old hand at this game and totally OCD so I' squeeze the best out of it and hand over some figures you might want to work with. :)
If anyone reading, @MtnMike or other is having issues I' happy to help, post some screenshots of ThrottleStop' Main, FIVR and TPL windows and I can give some input..

Happy volt-hunting :)

J

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms