Options

1 Posts

06-10-2020

US

6 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 3

Thunderbolt Missing from Device Manager - X1 Yoga Gen 4 (and maybe others) Solution

2020-06-10, 20:55 PM

Possible solution for those with Thunderbolt problems.

I recently bought an X1 Yoga Gen 4 and Ultra Docking station.  After setting everything up and allowing Windows and Lenovo to update various OS and drivers,  I went to use the docking station, and it did not work.  After some investigation, I discovered that the Thunderbolt Controller did not exist under System Devices in Device Manager.  I tried to install the latest driver and firmware from Lenovo, but the firmware would not install giving a message about Thunderbolt software missing (e.g. SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND).   The detect1909ur.exe did not help either.

I searched and searched looking for solutions including the reset button, toggling Thunderbolt bios assist mode, uninstalling drivers, etc. -- basically there are plethora of ideas out there.  Nothing worked.  I knew that the software/driver side was not going to work if Windows did not recognize the device, but I tried anyway.  I could not find much to help with getting the device recognized.  Quite a few post talk about needing to replace the motherboard, which I was not keen to pursue.

After hours and hours of searching and trying, I found the solution.  In the bios, under "Security -> I/O Port Access" there is a toggle for enabling Thunderbolt 3.  Why a brand new machine would default this to off is beyond me, but it was off.  (I guess that it is possible that a bios update defaulted this to off.)  As soon as I enabled it, the Thunderbolt Controller appeared, and I was able to install the latest firmware and use the docking station.  Everything worked as it should.

1) F1 Button during reboot

2) Select Security -> I/O Port Access

3) Toggle the second from the bottom to enable Thunderbolt 3.

4) F10 for save and exit

It seems kind of stupid that I did not look for this before but I was chasing the Thunderbolt bios assist stuff and everything else.  It never crossed my mind that there was another setting in security that would default a key device to off.  Evidently, it has not crossed many others either, since I only found this mentioned in one obscure post.

I put this out there in case it can help someone else.

Options

6430 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17625 Signins

161432 Page Views

• Views: 161432
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Thunderbolt Missing from Device Manager - X1 Yoga Gen 4 (and maybe others) Solution

2020-06-15, 17:32 PM

This should not be default to disabled from the factory.  All of those devices (Thunderbolt, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) should be enabled by default.  I'm curious - were any of the other devices disabled, or just Thunderbolt?

Options

1 Posts

06-10-2020

US

6 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Thunderbolt Missing from Device Manager - X1 Yoga Gen 4 (and maybe others) Solution

2020-06-16, 9:33 AM
Thunderbolt, Ethernet, and Fingerprint were all disabled. Wifi and Bluetooth were enabled.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete