Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elbrandnero
Paper Tape
Views: 2,593
Message 1 of 7

X1 tablet 3rd gen blank screen and keyboard issues

My X1 tablet 3rd gen is temperamental.  Often it is fine, then at other times I will inexplicably suffer the following issues:

1 will power on unit, screen is blank. Turning on screen by fingerprint or pressing power button will not work. After mucking around, rotating the unit and disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard multiple times and saying a few voodoo curses it might then turn on. If not, even holding the power button for 10-30 seconds won't turn the unit off. If I leave it and come back a few minutes (5-30) later I've eventually been able to at least get the screen on so I could turn it off.

2 keyboard won't type.  It will connect and the backlight will turn on, but I can't actually type on it.  Pressing keys on the keyboard does not result in text appearing in the screen.

3 screen will turn off after timing out and cannot wake it up without going through process described in 1 above.

4 the following have at times caused the screen to go black: opening kickstand even 1/8 inch, folding keyboard back on itself whole attached to unit, placing pen in holster. Getting it to wake up again is sometimes easy, other times not.

I've updated everything I could and rebooted many times.  Does not help.  I don't know why sometimes it's ok and other times not. I haven't changed any settings or gone into BIOS.

I'm at a total loss and very frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.  

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 2,507
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 tablet 3rd gen blank screen and keyboard issues

I have many strange problems with my tablet, but never an issue with the screen blanking out.  IThe fingerprint reader always senses my finger (but it's a coin toss if it actually recognizes it).

As for the tablet keyboard, I did start having the problem after the onsite techncian replaced my screen.  It would connect, light up, but then not work.  I happen to have 2 keyboards and neither would work.  Reboot usually fixed.  Earlier this week they replaced the system board and I haven't seen the problem since, so my guess is that a connector wasn't seated correctly by the technician. 

Make sure you have all of the latest updates first (run Vantage) and take it up with Lenovo support if it persists.  Keep us posted on what happens.  Good luck.

x1Tablet3rd
What's DOS?
Views: 2,430
Message 3 of 7

I just received my X1 Tablet on 01/21/19 and I'm having the same issue. I've done a factory reset updated the computer (lenovo/windows updates) but the issue still exists. I put in a request to have another sent out but hate the fact that it could be a simple fix with a software update.
Highlighted
fohsella
Paper Tape
Views: 384
Message 4 of 7

I also have the same problem.

When screen turns off, 1) i can't wak up/turn on the screen through keyboard, i have to click power button to wake up the system; 2) once a while, i can't wake up the system even if i click the power button. I have to force a shutdown and restart window again.

having all update installed

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 322
Message 5 of 7

Huh, I thought it was just me. I've been seeing very similar weirdness with my X1T3. I've got it connected to a monitor via the Lenovo TB3 dock. The external monitor will blank, seemingly because of some component going to sleep (it shouldn't, based on my settings). I then cannot wake it by using mouse or keyboard. Sometimes pressing the power button on the dock works. Sometimes I end up holding down power to force a shutdown. Not a great experience. I hope this is fixable through firmware updates!

Heluca
Punch Card
Views: 301
Message 6 of 7

The problem I experience affects my TB3 dock, USB-C displayport direct to a USB-C monitor and through the Lenovo travel USB-C hub.  The display will start flashing in and out and go to sleep.  Once there is a malfunction, the display will not come up, all ports on the dock stop working except the sleep/wake button, disabling cellular won't help until a shutdown and boot (warm restarts often did not help).  The dock will charge my tablet in this state just fine, and disconnecting/power cycling the dock makes no difference.

Do you have the cellular WWAN option?  It took my a while to figure out that my problem is caused by the cellular modem.  I speculate that there is radio interference that affects the high-speed TB3 & displayport on USB-C.  If cellular is enabled, the TB3 dock may come up, but then it will quit working at various intervals, sometimes immediately. 

Lenovo replaced the mainboard on my device 3 times, and I could reproduce the issue for the onsite technician immediately. 

The tablet has been replaced twice.  The last machine they sent worked great for about 3 months, until last September and the problem started again.  You can imagine how many hours I have wasted on this machine.  I have laptop with USB-C TB3, and it works perfectly with the Lenovo dock every time - never an issue.  Though they also replaced it as well.

Now I suspect that a software update has caused the problem to come back, I want to try bringing the device and firmware back to the factory image and older firmware to see if the problem goes away, but this will take many hours to test and I really don't have the time.  Though it shouldn't matter, I also want to try a different cellular carrier.

Be sure to update your TB3 dock firmware if you haven't - Lenovo vantage did not do this automatically, I had to go to the support page and manually run the update.  It was running very old firmware.  I am not sure if it helped, but it will save time dealing with support.

Good luck!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 291
Message 7 of 7

@Heluca wrote:

The problem I experience affects my TB3 dock, USB-C displayport direct to a USB-C monitor and through the Lenovo travel USB-C hub.  [ ...]  Do you have the cellular WWAN option?  [...]  Lenovo replaced the mainboard on my device 3 times, and I could reproduce the issue for the onsite technician immediately. The tablet has been replaced twice.  The last machine they sent worked great for about 3 months, until last September and the problem started again.

Wow, that's pretty alarming. Especially given that my unit is a "refurbished" unit from the Outlet. It may be one of your former ones. Smiley Happy  I don't have WWAN. I hope the problem doesn't get worse, for now it is rare enough (few times per week?) that I could live with it, but it's annoying nonetheless. Keep us posted of your progress, and good luck to you as well!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors