Did you mean: 
MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 590
Message 1 of 4

X1T3: Windows Update KB4476976 Kills Network Connectivity

ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen

Windows 10 1809 (17763.253)

After applying the Windows 10 Update KB4476976 and rebooting, I can connect to a wireless access point, but get the "yellow triangle" warning and a statement of "Connected - No Internet Access."  This is both wireless connections and wired connections made via a Lenovo USB-C dock.  I get an IP address assignment, but I can't even ping the gateway.

Uninstalling the update immediately and perfectly restores all network connectivity.

I've tried to install the update a few more times, and every time the update kills network connectivity completely; uninstall the update and all network functionality is restored.

Anyone experiencing this?  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?!  (I'm thinking it's a Windows problem, not a Lenovo/Intel HW problem...)  I'm a pretty good Windows troubleshooter, but I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 464
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1T3: Windows Update KB4476976 Kills Network Connectivity

I applied this KB to my X1T3 but I am not having any network problems.  When I have seen this kind of problem in the past, it was an incompatibility with other software on the system.  So try uninstalling your AV/security/firewall software as an experiment.  Are there any clues in Event Viewer?

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 417
Message 3 of 4

SomeOtherGuy,

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not using any third-party AV or firewall software, only what is included with Windows.  But I can disable that and see if anything changes.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Windows 10 load on my particular machine, or, as you said, some other application I have installed.  I have a Macrium image of my machine when it was fresh out of the box.  I may lay down that image and see if I can upgrade it with KB4476976 without losing networking.  I'll report back...

MtnMike
Punch Card
Views: 233
Message 4 of 4

Update...

I forgot to try disabling Windows' various security tools, so, apologies, I can't tell if that would have solved my problem.

What DID solve my problem was a complete OS reload.  That's not a great answer in my opinion, as it's the "nuclear option," and is a lot of work.  But it did work.  The complete OS reload I'm talking about is much more than the "reset Windows" reload...read on...

What I did was request from Lenovo the "Windows 10 Lenovo Factory Recovery USB Key" (I don't know the exact part number or FRU, but the USB stick has MLUS1460734 printed on it).  This is a 16GB USB thumb drive (and a USB-C to USB-A adapter) that will bomb your X1T3 back to the stone age--the "same" state it was in when it left the factory.  The USB key was sent completely free of charge.  It's a lot more than just a Windows 10 OS media installation tool--it does much more than just lay down new Win10 files, like you get when you do a Windows 10 reset.  It lays down all fresh Windows files and all the Lenovo X1T3-specific drivers and tools.

After the rebuild (which takes quite a while!), I ran Windows Update (and the Lenovo Vantage update), and I'm now happily humming along with Windows 10, version 1809 (OS Build 17763.316).

I can't exatly put my finger on it, but my X1T3 also seems to be running a bit better, generally, after the reload.  Prior, the tablet seemed to be running its fan quite a bit, and just seemed sluggish.  (At least sluggish for a tablet with this much power under the hood [1.9GHz I7 CPU and 16GB of RAM].)  Now my fan harldy ever runs and things just seem...better.  I've no empirical evidence, and it's probably because I haven't loaded some piece of software that I had running previously, but, hey, at the moment, it's running better than ever.

Now...if Lenovo would just fix the defective screen coating...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors