cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 451
Message 1 of 5

how to configure custom stores, auto configure wireless (init), and push apps from the network?

I work as an IT at an K-12 school system and have been looking for an IT administrators guide for the thinkpad tablet.

Heres what im trying to do:

1. configure a custom store to show apps specific for each school system such as elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools as necessary.

2. when initially configuring devices i wish to batch script the process by using a configuration type file (if android has one) i can copy to the device instead of configuring each device manually.

3.  How to auto install application from network using my own server or from the app store as necessary?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. an It admin guide would still help too but proably wont have all of the above in it.

jeffman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 447
Message 2 of 5

Re: how to configure custom stores, auto configure wireless (init), and push apps from the network?

I forgot can program in java and c++ so programming an option is possible.

Also, found this http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_tablet_deployment_guide.pdf it  shows you to configure device policies,do wireless settings, and configure email for the device. My problem is setting it so the store only shows the apps i choose.

As this is critcal can a lenovo rep please respond?

jeffman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 431
Message 3 of 5

Re: how to configure custom stores, auto configure wireless (init), and push apps from the network?

Update: forgot to mention wireless settings and security i figured out that part and that i just need to copy the xml file using a flash drive or sd card to the tablet. Smiley Happy Still wonder how to setup custom stores through a portal my k-12 school system has setup.

Automatically installing an app can be done as an update with other google updates if i was reading lenovo docs correctly or how does that work with lenovo tablets?

P.S. im an IT/Developer using c/c++,java, vb.net, and many other powerful languages so spare no dirty details in telling me how to do something wheter it requires programming or not. I prefer the hard stuff when programming anyways makes me feel like im doing something important.

Lens_flare
802.11n
Views: 402
Message 4 of 5

>>when initially configuring devices i wish to batch script the process by using a configuration type file (if android has one) i can copy to the device instead of configuring each device manually.

write little apk that have BOOT_COMPLETE intent receiver and MODIFY_SYSTEM_SETTINGS permission, after permission granted, you could work with SystemProperties class (as I remember) and modify all device settings. Then integrate your apk at system partition.
I don't know how powerful is bash (sh, shell) script, but it also could be helpful at modifying system initially.

>>Automatically installing an app can be done as an update
maybe CWM recovery could help? It could install any package signed or unsigned (google/Lenovo recovery could install only packages signed by Lenovo) and it works with ROM manager app, however I don't know if premium version of that app could be set up to custom updates server.

just my 5 cents ;]
jeffman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 351
Message 5 of 5

sorry for the long time before reply but i was doing some major work at school and got lost in the work.
>>Automatically installing an app can be done as an update
maybe CWM recovery could help? It could install any package signed or unsigned (google/Lenovo recovery could install only packages signed by Lenovo) and it works with ROM manager app, however I don't know if premium version of that app could be set up to custom updates server.

whats CWM recovery? I know it mentions portal or something in one pdf paper i found for the apps part so can i get the app store to filter out and only show the apps i want it to?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors